YouTube's War on Ad Blockers

Goatface

1688218056171.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
thats just going to hurt creators more than users who wont watch the videos if they have to sit through horrible fucking ads. there will always be a workaround, just like with dislikes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t so many ads. I’ll catch up on the channels I follow while doing the dishes at night. My 10” tablet works fine, but every 5 minutes it seems something pops up. So I either dry off a hand real quick or suffer through some annoying audio.

I’m pretty sure I’ve never bought anything based on watching an ad, but I’ve definitely had a worse impression of a brand based on terrible or annoying ads. I know that there’s a lot of unconscious impressions that made when people see ads.

I wonder if there have ever been any studies at an individual level comparing ad exposure and purchases.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if there have ever been any studies at an individual level comparing ad exposure and purchases.
lol, the ad people run the world. Literally. They got there with data, tons of it.

There's a reason all the most powerful and influential entities in the world are basically ad agencies.

The political parties, Google, Facebook, and all of the mainstream news media. Also the less mainstream news media. They're ultimately just advertising companies.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Maybe it's the particular creators/videos I watch but I never found ads on YouTube to be that invasive.

• 1GreNeg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Maybe it's the particular creators/videos I watch but I never found ads on YouTube to be that invasive.
Do you run an ad blocker?

They're awful if you're browsing from some device that isn't a web browser.

• 4Like

DickTrickle

Do you run an ad blocker?

They're awful if you're browsing from some device that isn't a web browser.
I don't use an ad blocker and I usually watch on the TV. I'm always actively watching though so I skip when it's an option. I think the longest I ever have to watch an ad block is 30 seconds and sometimes it's as little as 5 seconds.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t so many ads. I’ll catch up on the channels I follow while doing the dishes at night. My 10” tablet works fine, but every 5 minutes it seems something pops up. So I either dry off a hand real quick or suffer through some annoying audio.

I’m pretty sure I’ve never bought anything based on watching an ad, but I’ve definitely had a worse impression of a brand based on terrible or annoying ads. I know that there’s a lot of unconscious impressions that made when people see ads.

some of those ads are 5 minutes or longer. i saw one where it was a preview of a TV show and it was 45 minutes long. they are out of their fucking mind if they think people will watch these fucking ads if they can figure out a way not to. this is already being talked about as the next and biggest adpocolypse by content creators.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

some of those ads are 5 minutes or longer. i saw one where it was a preview of a TV show and it was 45 minutes long. they are out of their fucking mind if they think people will watch these fucking ads if they can figure out a way not to. this is already being talked about as the next and biggest adpocolypse by content creators.
I've never seen a long ad that wasn't skippable after 5 seconds. Is that actually something people experience?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
it does depend on the creators in some cases. you can set your videos with no ads, some ads or as many as possible. even if you set them to no ads, they can still stick them in there if they want. when you go for broke with the ads, you will see them every 5 minutes. more and more of them are also becoming unskippable. they used to have a countdown of when the ad was going to play. now it just randomly cuts off the video and you have to watch an ad of an interracial couple making dinner.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I've never seen a long ad that wasn't skippable after 5 seconds. Is that actually something people experience?
i was able to skip that ad, but a lot of people let the ads run on their TVs. ya know people just watch the videos like they are a TV show. nobody expects a full preview of a broadcast TV show to take over their TV for 45 minutes. ive seen that happen once, but some ads can get up to 20ish minutes if you let them run their course.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
I am part of an interracial couple, I usually make dinner solo though 😛

don’t think I’ve seen anything as long as 45 minutes, maybe around 15

• 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I am part of an interracial couple, I usually make dinner solo though 😛

don’t think I’ve seen anything as long as 45 minutes, maybe around 15
it was a preview of an NBC show that premiered or was about to premiere in the fall. i dont remember it. it was something to do with witches? it looked bad so i shut it off. but i was shocked that they stuck an entire show in there.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Whelp, guess i'm done with youtube then...

Most ads under 30 seconds are not skipable, it depends on the whims of the person running the ad (the company being advertised). I like running music channels that are like 8h of X ambient, those have random 5-45 minute ads and those are typically skippable but are for the dumbest products like medication or financial literacy classes / seminars.

All that is water under the bridge though for one simple reason...the company can make ads not skipable.

I've had several "Pride" themed ads from Youtube that weren't skipable at all. If youtube is running "Oh you adblock, no videos!" right now, then it is only a matter of time before they say, "No Video unless you watch all the ads without skipping!" or add some pandora level gay shit like X ad skips per hour.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Whelp, guess i'm done with youtube then...

Most ads under 30 seconds are not skipable, it depends on the whims of the person running the ad (the company being advertised). I like running music channels that are like 8h of X ambient, those have random 5-45 minute ads and those are typically skippable but are for the dumbest products like medication or financial literacy classes / seminars.

All that is water under the bridge though for one simple reason...the company can make ads not skipable.

I've had several "Pride" themed ads from Youtube that weren't skipable at all. If youtube is running "Oh you adblock, no videos!" right now, then it is only a matter of time before they say, "No Video unless you watch all the ads without skipping!" or add some pandora level gay shit like X ad skips per hour.
I don't think I've seen that many lengthy ads being mandatory, but I'll get a 5-10 sec that can't be skipped then a 1-5 min(skip after 5 sec)

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
What sort of boomers are you guys. You tube has ads? YouTube is gonna ip ban me or whatever if I don’t watch them. LMAO this is the internet, these things don’t work if you are in tune with the series of tubes.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I don't think I've seen that many lengthy ads being mandatory, but I'll get a 5-10 sec that can't be skipped then a 1-5 min(skip after 5 sec)

It's less about the length and more about the option to skip.

This system is likely just a test for adding a "Pandora" or streaming radio system of skips where you get X skips per hour and then you are forced into a situation of watching ads. My guess is at first these ads will cap out at 30 seconds and then they will flex and flex and flex til you are basically watching tv levels of ads with 0 option to skip.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
It still blew my mind when I saw that two and a half hour “ad” that I saw pop up once. Skippable after a few seconds, but Jesus Christ, the audacity of some bitch to even call that an ad. It was some faggy eco-conscious global warming documentary or some shit. What the fuck.

• 3Like
  • 1WTF