YouTube's War on Ad Blockers

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I never see YouTube ads by virtue of my hosts file. If they block me for that I guess I'm going to stop watching youtube. The mobile experience is fucking cancerous by comparison.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Okay...

So this shit went live and I don't have it on my PC but my other computers routinely get the "You have 3 strikes" bullshit now.

All the PC's, as far as I am aware, have the same software blocking.

Any suggestions to block their faggoty ads?

Debating a piHole if those are a thing anymore.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Okay...

So this shit went live and I don't have it on my PC but my other computers routinely get the "You have 3 strikes" bullshit now.

All the PC's, as far as I am aware, have the same software blocking.

Any suggestions to block their faggoty ads?

Debating a piHole if those are a thing anymore.
It's fine for me in Firefox, only Edge is giving me issues.

Consider switching to Firefox.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Ome

Molten Core Raider
You can also right click, open link in incognito window

EDIT: Doesnt fully work

Last edited:

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Phone and PC both run Brave. Havent noticed any change in behavior, saw a meme and then saw this thread, that's the only way I know about it.

That being said, I can treat YouTube like cable any fucking time I want. Ball is in their court.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
UBO is staying on top of it but their current implementation requires you to manually go into the filter list and update the Quick Fixes list for daily changes. Nothing in the software is altered just the regex code detection for YT so they might need to add an auto-updating solution whenever you open the browser.

edit: Based upon UBO dev comments they already get 3 billion requests to the CDNs per month with their lists set to update every 12 hours. Increasing the traffic load even for a single quick fix list might be asking too much of their hosting providers.

Last edited:

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Always wondered in the back of my mind how much revenue they lost on people smart enough to run adblock or tunnel somewhere that doesn't have ads. Figured it would have to be low enough that it was worth the loss, but if they are going for this at the risk of massive levels of people going "Nope, fuck right off with that shit" maybe its higher than I thought.

Haven't updated adblock/noscript on firefox in a while, I see some ads trying to play for 5 seconds of black screen then it just turns back into the video. Curious to see who winds up winning between Google, adblock (or equivelants) or someone who spins up an alternative that only allows 2x 5 second ads or something on it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Always wondered in the back of my mind how much revenue they lost on people smart enough to run adblock or tunnel somewhere that doesn't have ads. Figured it would have to be low enough that it was worth the loss, but if they are going for this at the risk of massive levels of people going "Nope, fuck right off with that shit" maybe its higher than I thought.

Haven't updated adblock/noscript on firefox in a while, I see some ads trying to play for 5 seconds of black screen then it just turns back into the video. Curious to see who winds up winning between Google, adblock (or equivelants) or someone who spins up an alternative that only allows 2x 5 second ads or something on it.
well the problem for them was that for 10years to combat ads was so simple, you just had to send the direct abp/ublock extension to your dumb as a rocks friend or non tech mom and just "click then, then click yes"

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I installed tampermonkey. I use Opera GX

Then ran this script. Works well.

// ==UserScript==
// @name youtube popup killer
// @namespace Home | Tampermonkey
// @version 0.3
// @description try to take over the world!
// @author Selbereth
// @match https://*.youtube.com/*
// @icon https://www.google.com/s2/favicons?sz=64&domain=youtube.com
// G Grant none
// ==/UserScript==

(function () {
window.debug = true;
if (debug) console.log("started");
setInterval(() => {
if (!!popupFind()) {
if (debug) console.log("remove popup");
const popup = popupFind()
console.log(popup)
popup.parentNode.removeChild(popup)

if (debug) console.log("resume video");
//pauseFind().click()
if (debug) console.log("done ");
}
}, 1000);
})();

function popupFind() {
return document.querySelector("body > ytd-app > ytd-popup-container");
}
function pauseFind(){

return document.querySelector("#movie_player > div.ytp-chrome-bottom > div.ytp-chrome-controls > div.ytp-left-controls > button");

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Having a small issue with this on Vivaldi with UBlock Origins + Privacy Badger + NoScript.

I got it to 100% "bypass" the 3 strike screen by just fiddling around in UBO, "blocking elements" until it was gone. Now, when playing a video it auto pauses after the first second or two but I just need to hit play again to play normally. It also wont let me scroll down the page (to see comments).

Also a funny work around using FoH: copy the address of the video, paste it in a new comment window of FoH, click on "preview" for the comment, then press play.

Last edited:

Burns

Something I just noticed weird with Youtube: a dark spot in the middle of every video. Here is a SS of it on a blank white and gray video:
2023-10-20 21.55.10 www.youtube.com f7d7c2ec13b0.png
2023-10-20 21.53.41 www.youtube.com 50ebd9f6528b.png

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I just switched to putting YT in a private tab in firefox with ublock/noscript. I am not logged in, and haven't seen the notice again.

Burns

Fuck you just infected my screen too
It seems to be in relation to blocking the 3 strikes window, as I can get the spot to move by resizing the whole browser and it disappears when going to full screen.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ive been getting these warnings for days, I just X them out and I have not gotten any bans yet or anything.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My computer at work using ublock origin on chrome keeps getting the popup warning but ublock origin on firefox at home I havent seen it yet.

Last edited: