2015 NHL Playoffs Thread

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Most people did, but not me.

Either way, smart money was on hawks or ducks going to the cup in the west, habs or rangers in the east. I mean, I like the blues and think they are a damn great hockey team but it was never going to be their year from my perspective.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Most people did, but not me.

Either way, smart money was on hawks or ducks going to the cup in the west, habs or rangers in the east. I mean, I like the blues and think they are a damn great hockey team but it was never going to be their year from my perspective.
Ducks w/ Boudreau, I figured someone would beat him in a Game 7 again like always. Hawks, well, I made my picks before I knew Kane was going to be back for Round 1. Also for whatever reason I just felt like after winning that division, this might be the year they get over the hump. Drawing the Wild was tough for Round 1.

So Stoic, if Tampa ends up winning, schedule for our series would have a potential Game 6 on a Sunday, and the potential Game 7 not until Wednesday. Fucking silly.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
The blue-lines of teams being so injured played a major factor this year. It apparently doesn't pay to be a defenseman right now (unless you like million of dollars).

Merrith

The blue-lines of teams being so injured played a major factor this year. It apparently doesn't pay to be a defenseman right now (unless you like million of dollars).
If you're a small/skilled D man who isn't used to physical play and are not good at avoiding hits, it's going to be tough sledding. Wouldn't label Mike Green as small, and he can play a little physical himself at times, but for years he was terrible at avoiding getting demolished and every team rightly used this against him. Martin and Clutterbuck tried all series to take runs at him, but he did a much better job of avoiding the "big hit". I still expect him to revert and get creamed eventually, and it still affects his play digging pucks out of our zone.

Hearing Yandle and Staal are both a little dinged up. Expect some Tom Wilson fun.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I don't think this is Chicago's year. They had a brutal first round and I expect another long series against the Wild. Even if they win as they probably should I think the Ducks come out of the west. Kings/Ducks would have been a really great series this year as those two teams match up really well but it's also pretty awesome seeing the Kings not even make it.

Merrith

Crazy stat. Caps/Isles had 27 combined PP's over 7 games, the fewest in a 7 game series over the last 25 yeas (apparently as far back as it was easy to look up the data, might be longer). The next closest was Toronto/Boston in 2013, with 41 combined PP's over 7 games. 14 less PP's than any other 7 game series in the last 25 years. Yeah, refs swallowed the whistles some.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
If the Ducks win another one that will really be a serious kick in the nuts for us Sharks fans. The Hawks are my only hope out of the west at this point. I still wonder if the best of the east can beat the best of the west (I doubt it).

Merrith

If the Ducks win another one that will really be a serious kick in the nuts for us Sharks fans. The Hawks are my only hope out of the west at this point. I still wonder if the best of the east can beat the best of the west (I doubt it).
If Rangers are healthy, I think they're at least 50/50 to beat anyone out West. This year wasn't like the past couple where the West was clearly better than the East.

It's weird how the Ducks are kind of under the radar. While Calgary is a great story, and I don't expect them to get swept or anything, I don't give them any realistic shot of beating the Ducks. Much easier series imo than Hawks/Wild. That's going to be my favorite 2nd round series to watch besides Caps.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
As a Habs fan, I hope Detroit beats Tempa, because I don't see us beating Tempa, I think our chances are excellent against Detroit though.

Being a Canadian, I am also cheering for Calgary although I doubt they'll beat Anaheim.

In my wildest fantasy I'd love a Montreal-Calgary finals...if only to see the tears NBC would cry at the non-existing ratings they'd get if there is an all Canadian final.
smile.png

Merrith

You know NBC is pining for Rags/Blackhawks final. I think worst match up in their mind would be Tampa/Calgary.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Ducks w/ Boudreau, I figured someone would beat him in a Game 7 again like always. Hawks, well, I made my picks before I knew Kane was going to be back for Round 1. Also for whatever reason I just felt like after winning that division, this might be the year they get over the hump. Drawing the Wild was tough for Round 1.

So Stoic, if Tampa ends up winning, schedule for our series would have a potential Game 6 on a Sunday, and the potential Game 7 not until Wednesday. Fucking silly.
Ahh, forgot all about the Kane rope-a-dope. Makes alittlemore sense I guess.

I'll be on vacation all next week. If we win both at the garden, I'm road tripping it to D.C. to see games 3/4. If we split at home I may just take a 24 hr trip on Sunday. It's pretty fucked when I can get a decent seat at the verizon center, pay for gas tolls and stay at a hotel overnight for cheaper than the worst seat at MSG.

If you're a small/skilled D man who isn't used to physical play and are not good at avoiding hits, it's going to be tough sledding. Wouldn't label Mike Green as small, and he can play a little physical himself at times, but for years he was terrible at avoiding getting demolished and every team rightly used this against him. Martin and Clutterbuck tried all series to take runs at him, but he did a much better job of avoiding the "big hit". I still expect him to revert and get creamed eventually, and it still affects his play digging pucks out of our zone.

Hearing Yandle and Staal are both a little dinged up. Expect some Tom Wilson fun.
Yeah, I heard they were sore. All good though because Optimus Klein is finally due back. Great timing considering it was an Ovie slapper that shattered his wrist. I'm more concerned about our little hobbit. Zucc's absence will be felt keenly. Really hope MSL steps up for this series.

I don't think this is Chicago's year. They had a brutal first round and I expect another long series against the Wild. Even if they win as they probably should I think the Ducks come out of the west. Kings/Ducks would have been a really great series this year as those two teams match up really well but it's also pretty awesome seeing the Kings not even make it.
I kinda sorta agree. It really all comes down to how Crow performs in game 1. If the Ducks chase him out or force him to give up a few, he's fucked mentally. Darling looked great filling in, but with shaky goaltending the Ducks are just gonna prey on them. Really pushing for Hawks/Rangers so I am trying to stay optimistic though! Even if they don't make it, the Rangers literally shat all over Anaheim all season so it might even be for the best.

Merrith

Feel bad for Zucc, never want to see a guy go out taking a slap shot to the noggin like that. The Klein injury was weird too cause it was on a random long range slapper that just hit him in a real bad spot. I'm praying we get a split, although already writing off Game 2. 12:30 start means we'll play terrible for the first 40 minutes, then wake up for 3rd period. The series schedule is actually fairly terrible for my current schedule. Last night was the first home Game 7 in Ovechkin era I didn't attend, and I haven't been to a game yet this playoffs, which is unheard of for me. Not looking good for Game 3 or 4 either. If it goes 6, next Sunday would be one I could probably attend though.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I kinda sorta agree. It really all comes down to how Crow performs in game 1. If the Ducks chase him out or force him to give up a few, he's fucked mentally. Darling looked great filling in, but with shaky goaltending the Ducks are just gonna prey on them. Really pushing for Hawks/Rangers so I am trying to stay optimistic though! Even if they don't make it, the Rangers literally shat all over Anaheim all season so it might even be for the best.
I don't really think the Ducks have a particularly stable netminder either.

Merrith

Kronwall gets 1 game for elbow to head. Will miss Game 7 tomorrow night. I'm a little surprised since it is Game 7, but I think the hit deserved a game.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kronwall gets 1 game for elbow to head. Will miss Game 7 tomorrow night. I'm a little surprised since it is Game 7, but I think the hit deserved a game.
Meh, if they lose this series it is because they couldn't close out game 4. Not because of this.