2016 Olympics. - Brazil

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
That's not how I read the situation at all. It seems to me that he and his buddies were drunk, pissed in an alley, broke something in the gas station, then tried to buy their way out.

If you look back, Lochte's mother was the first one to tell this story to the press. It's most plausible that he gave her a bullshit story to save face and she screwed him by "standing up for her son" and talking publicly. Rather than coming clean, he then decided to double down on the lie, and here we are.

Facts are still coming out, but from what we know so far it's pretty clear the security guard extorted them, and now the gubmint is extorting them too. If they broke the law by vandalizing the gas station, then charge them with that. instead they're saying pay us as an apology for saying we're corrupt, and we'll make all your legal problems go away.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Facts are still coming out, but from what we know so far it's pretty clear the security guard extorted them

That's not clear at all. It's equally probable, if not more so given that they were already drunk and disorderly, that Lochte & Co. didn't want to wait around for the police after being detained for vandalism and tried to buy their way out of trouble. Lochte has a history of being a douche and I see no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt over some security guard who was most likely just trying to do his job.

Brazil has a bad rap for high crime rates, but the wrongdoing is mostly limited to the top and bottom of the social spectrum - poor gangs and the upper echelons of government. People in the middle with jobs are just trying to get by like everyone else. (Source: Half my extended family lives in Rio, 30+ visits.)

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Is it me or is NBC gone full retard with coverage? When I was younger I remember seeing a lot more diversity in track and field coverage, like high jump, long jump, pole vault, and the shorter races. Now all I see on prime time are the races with maybe one quick jump by an american before it cuts back a race.

The CEO seems to think the issue is just young people not realizing the Olympics are happening... like people don't post about it on Facebook too..

"We wake up someday and the ratings are down 20 percent,” the chief executive officer of NBCUniversal said at a conference. “If that happens, my prediction would be that millennials had been in a Facebook bubble or a Snapchat bubble and the Olympics have come, and they didn’t know it."
Rio broadcast ratings down 25 percent among 18 to 49 year olds... the ratings are down with more than millennials.

Wake up NBC, your coverage sucks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is it me or is NBC gone full retard with coverage? When I was younger I remember seeing a lot more diversity in track and field coverage, like high jump, long jump, pole vault, and the shorter races. Now all I see on prime time are the races with maybe one quick jump by an american before it cuts back a race.

The CEO seems to think the issue is just young people not realizing the Olympics are happening... like people don't post about it on Facebook too..

"We wake up someday and the ratings are down 20 percent,” the chief executive officer of NBCUniversal said at a conference. “If that happens, my prediction would be that millennials had been in a Facebook bubble or a Snapchat bubble and the Olympics have come, and they didn’t know it."
Rio broadcast ratings down 25 percent among 18 to 49 year olds... the ratings are down with more than millennials.

Wake up NBC, your coverage sucks.

They have to be very worried about Tokyo since most of the stuff will be tape delayed. They are at least showing some live stuff this time because it's in Rio. I hope they lose a ton of money on it so hopefully the price comes down on the rights and ESPN actually swoops in and buys the rights when it's available for bid.

It feels like such a chore to find something on the website too. Trying to find the 200m Final took me took much time to find. The site is plastered with all their human story bullshit and the actual event itself I had to dig for.

joz123

Potato del Grande
These interviews with Ryan Seacrest are fucking horrible. I would rather watch 4 more minutes of commercials then him sucking up to whatever B-Lister he is talking to. Also Dan Patrick looks bored as shit talking to these nobody athletes.

Szlia

Doesn't NBC offer on their website a number of live feeds? Beijing was the best Olympics ever on that front as there was an official site with like a dozen life feeds covering just about all the events. This stuff was gone for London and now Rio, but the national TV station that has the right for Rio around here now has 9 live feeds on its website (3 are feeding their regular TV channels, 6 are international feeds). There are still some blind spots and the choices that are made about what is shown is weird, but I could watch 90% of what I wanted to watch.

Oh and Silver for Japan in the 4x100m? That surprised everyone!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
wnrGTAm.jpg

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Doesn't NBC offer on their website a number of live feeds? Beijing was the best Olympics ever on that front as there was an official site with like a dozen life feeds covering just about all the events. This stuff was gone for London and now Rio, but the national TV station that has the right for Rio around here now has 9 live feeds on its website (3 are feeding their regular TV channels, 6 are international feeds). There are still some blind spots and the choices that are made about what is shown is weird, but I could watch 90% of what I wanted to watch.

Oh and Silver for Japan in the 4x100m? That surprised everyone!
That fucker came out of nowhere. The camera wasn't even watching him then suddenly you see that red jersey coming around the edge of the screen next to Usain Bolt. The camera was more focused on the Jamaica vs US thing until Japan came out of nowhere and made Bolt turn on the after burners.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I hope they lose a ton of money on it so hopefully the price comes down on the rights and ESPN actually swoops in and buys the rights when it's available for bid.

Unfortunately they paid billions to have the rights until 2032 so unless they start taking huge losses and dump the rights we're stuck with them for 4 more Summer and 3 more Winter Olympics.

• 2Cutler

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
It's a sad day when ESPN is who you rest your hopes and dreams on. They can get fucked as well.

• 2Like

Szlia

The brazilians must be pretty satisfied, they won in men's association football (penalty shootout against Germany), in men's volleyball (three very tight sets against Italy) and in men's beach volleyball (two reasonably tight sets against Italy). The women did not fare as well as they got crushed in the beach volleyball final (against Germany) and did not even get a medal in volleyball (in a tournament won by a chinese team spearheaded by an unstoppable Zhu Ting).

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Aussies got fucking robbed in basketball.

I also wanna do unholy things with Allyson Felix.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

I dunno, I think the field events have been getting more coverage this year than in the past. I love the field events most of all, and hate the long ass races, which they used to show ever boring lap of. Been bitching about that forever. This year they seem to be doing better. But disclaimer, I dvr'd the shit I care about and I'm a few days behind. So those ratios might go back to shit.

Don't get me wrong, I still don't think they have the mix right. They should be covering the entirety of the field events and just cutting away to watch the long races a few seconds at a time. I'm just saying they seem to be doing better.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I dunno, I think the field events have been getting more coverage this year than in the past. I love the field events most of all, and hate the long ass races, which they used to show ever boring lap of. Been bitching about that forever. This year they seem to be doing better. But disclaimer, I dvr'd the shit I care about and I'm a few days behind. So those ratios might go back to shit.

Don't get me wrong, I still don't think they have the mix right. They should be covering the entirety of the field events and just cutting away to watch the long races a few seconds at a time. I'm just saying they seem to be doing better.

back in the day there was only one international feed. Nowadays broadcasters you can order feed they want. Also NBC cocksuckers don't show much live anyway. It's all pretty much edited down to only show US athletes during prime time broadcasts and the elite events (track). It's good to rely on Finnish broadcast. They do an incredible job. I bet US audience would be amazed if they had the chance to see it

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
well, basketball sucks. Gonna watch some old Top Gear rerun and maybe later finally start with Stranger Things