2017 NHL Playoffs Thread

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ptsd watching series highlights. Just think, if we played better hockey that could of been us! Cool playoff format, pro sports league!

It's definitely not great. But considering the West worked out basically perfectly with 2 divisional brackets...and the #1 and #2 team out west (by points) include a team that just got swept scoring only 3 goals all series, and the other which is in a 3-1 hole.

Alterity

Molten Core Raider
It really is disappointing seeing Bob play so bad in the playoffs. That series was still fun to watch but it sucks as I think the Jackets played well for the most part.

I'm pretty bias but that goalie interference call was bullshit and completely took away the momentum of that game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

It really is disappointing seeing Bob play so bad in the playoffs. That series was still fun to watch but it sucks as I think the Jackets played well for the most part.

I'm pretty bias but that goalie interference call was bullshit and completely took away the momentum of that game.

Down big and at 3-2 goalie interference takes goal off the board and they get a penalty out of it where Pens score on following PP...yeah, I'd say that was huge. I think Columbus outplayed Pittsburgh possession wise for a lot of the series, but Pittsburgh with their shooting talent can be opportunistic as fuck (and Bob sucking). Kind of a shame.

Columbus should be okay going forward though. Their top D pairing of Seth Jones and Werenski are going to cost less than $6.4 mil a year combined for the next 2 years, and Werenski will still be an RFA after that for his next deal while Jones will still be at 5.4 a year for 3 more years after that. Going to be good for a long time.

Axlrose

<Gold Donor>
Today I attended C2E2 or the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo and was talking to Matt Wagner of Grendel and Mage fame. Another fan came by and mentioned to Matt, "Oh, if I knew you were going to be here, then I would have brought some books for you to sign."

Me: "Well, you can always bring them tomorrow."

Fan: "I'm from Nashville, so can't."

Me: "Nashville?!?"

Fan: "Chicago?"

Me: "Yes..." I might have made a face at this point.

Fan: "Well, looks like I have to sweep myself away!" while grinning from ear to ear.

Damn you Hawks!!!

• 1Like

Merrith

Justin Williams so clutch. It's weird for a series with 4 out of the 5 games going to overtime, 3 of them have been relatively short. The 3 that didn't go double OT all finished roughly 5 minutes into first extra period or earlier.

• 1Like

Merrith

Feel like Bruins just got screwed out of a goal in OT. Would be a little weird if Ottawa end up scoring now and ending the series.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sad to see the Thornton/Marleau era potentially end this way. It sounds like the team was way more injured than we had actually realized (Pavelski and Vlasic were playing injured). That basically means that every core player on our team, outside of Jones, was having a hard time even taking the ice.

Fucking warriors, all of them. Let's hope we re-sign Jumbo and patty cheap and go for one more shot...

...regardless, I'll still wear my 12 jersey to every Sharks game.

• 1Solidarity

Merrith

Sad to see the Thornton/Marleau era potentially end this way. It sounds like the team was way more injured than we had actually realized (Pavelski and Vlasic were playing injured). That basically means that every core player on our team, outside of Jones, was having a hard time even taking the ice.

Fucking warriors, all of them. Let's hope we re-sign Jumbo and patty cheap and go for one more shot...

...regardless, I'll still wear my 12 jersey to every Sharks game.

I wish they had won in the Finals last year.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Feel like the Caps weren't the better team tonight, but pulled off the win. They did play much more dominant in OT.

What a rough series. Hope they play better vs the Pens.

• 1Like

Merrith

Feel like the Caps weren't the better team tonight, but pulled off the win. They did play much more dominant in OT.

What a rough series. Hope they play better vs the Pens.

Felt like we were the much better team. Not sure what they were counting as shots for Toronto all night but didn't feel like Holtby had to work 28 saves hard through the first 2 periods. Leafs with barely any shots in the 3rd (which we basically dominated) and they get another crazy bounce off a stanchion right onto Matthews stick?

With as many times as Kuznetsov was in alone, or other golden scoring chances were just bouncing over sticks or just too much air under the pass...on a better night we pot 4+ goals easy. I'd give nod to Toronto in the 1st, they came out hard and we were a little sloppy (or at least, certain guys were), but felt like we had many more of the dangerous chances from 2nd period on, and 3rd/OT weren't even close imo.

Merrith

Really excited we have to wait until Thursday to start Round 2 (the Caps at least)...no not really, we do terrible after long breaks.

Went 6-2 with my Round 1 picks, funny enough I had Nashville pushing Chicago to 7, didn't realize they were going to go full ham on Blackhawks. Only series I got number of games right, ironically was the Caps series.

Round 2 picks

East

Washington v. Pittsburgh (Caps in 7) I'm hoping it is shorter than 7, I think playing the Leafs will help prepare us for Pens speed, and missing Letang will hurt them

Ottawa v. NY Rangers (Rags in 6) Lundqvist was great in Round 1, and I think he'll continue his solid play. Also screw Guy Boucher and the 1-3-1

West

St. Louis v. Nashville (Preds in 6) I don't see Allen stealing another serious for the Blues, Preds' top line and Rinne will be too much

Anaheim v. Edmonton (Ducks in 7) Almost picked the Oilers here. Talbot was strong and McDavid will break out, but I think their deep run will wait another year

• 1Like

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Pens Rangers Nashville Edmonton. My pool hopes fell apart pretty quick in the first round so we'll see.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
East

Washington v. Pittsburgh (Caps in 7) I'm hoping it is shorter than 7, I think playing the Leafs will help prepare us for Pens speed, and missing Letang will hurt them

No Letang is a motherfucker, but at this point I never expect him to play. He's fucking snakebit.

No Murray really sucks. Fleury is great and I love him with all my heart, but Murray is the goalie now and the one that took them to the Cup last year.

Hagelin might return this series. Not holding my breath, the talk sounds like when they want to make the other team think about the possibility. Not so much when they think he'll actually play. But maybe I'm misreading it and it's the opposite where they want to sound more negative so the other team is surprised!! OMG HAGS IS COMING BACK! OR NOT! WE'LL SEE IN A FEW DAYS!!!!

Whatever, fuck the Caps. Pens in 3.

Yes, 3.

Merrith

No Letang is a motherfucker, but at this point I never expect him to play. He's fucking snakebit.

No Murray really sucks. Fleury is great and I love him with all my heart, but Murray is the goalie now and the one that took them to the Cup last year.

Hagelin might return this series. Not holding my breath, the talk sounds like when they want to make the other team think about the possibility. Not so much when they think he'll actually play. But maybe I'm misreading it and it's the opposite where they want to sound more negative so the other team is surprised!! OMG HAGS IS COMING BACK! OR NOT! WE'LL SEE IN A FEW DAYS!!!!

Whatever, fuck the Caps. Pens in 3.

Yes, 3.

Love you too, Grimm. Legit question though, if Murray gets healthy, does he start immediately?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No. It will just mean a short leash on Fleury. A first period like game 3 and he'd probably get the hook. 3 goals in the first half of the first period would be Murray time.

Thank fuck they never actually wanted to trade MAF...supposedly.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Kind of stinks that both eastern games are on the same night. Caps/pens gonna be a crazy series but I guess i'll have to miss it. Kind of suprised most analyst picking the caps to win. I can see it going either way but gotta pick Pens in no less than 6.

Probably better for Rangers if Caps win but if they get that far they will be so pumped to spank us and check another name off the revenge list who knows. Here's hoping they soften each other up nicely for whomever **coughrangers** wins the atlantic.

• 1Like

Merrith

Kind of stinks that both eastern games are on the same night. Caps/pens gonna be a crazy series but I guess i'll have to miss it. Kind of suprised most analyst picking the caps to win. I can see it going either way but gotta pick Pens in no less than 6.

Probably better for Rangers if Caps win but if they get that far they will be so pumped to spank us and check another name off the revenge list who knows. Here's hoping they soften each other up nicely for whomever **coughrangers** wins the atlantic.

Not to offend, I find Rags/Sens the least compelling of the 2nd round match ups (honestly the other 3 I think are all pretty fucking good). Mostly because of the Sens, I'm a little surprised they beat Boston, but I don't see them having a real chance against the Rags.

As for people picking us...I think it's more of a "if they were EVER going to beat the Pens, it would be this year when we have this deep of a team". Plenty of people noting they can't pick us until they actually see us do it.

• 1Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
No offense taken, I agree completely. Sens play a trap game so i'm sure even i'll get bored at times. All good, I think our first round was one of the best. Refs let ALOT go and the goalie dual was phenomenal.