2018 NFL Offseason Thread -- Philadelphia Burning Edition

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Joe Flacco just got owned

His guaranteed money is up after this year so they can cut himpost June 1 next year and save a ton. If Joe plays well, he stays another year. If not, he gone.

I was hoping for one of the top 2 WRs but at least they didn't take yet another LB/DT/OL. I think Ozzie had a pretty good day 1.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Joe Staley isn't exactly a kid anymore either. I'm usually in favor of using high picks on the OL/DL but I'm not familiar with this guy. I was hoping maybe Nelson would fall to us but that was a pipe dream so hopefully this kid is good.

I love the pick. Our exterior lineman were among the best in the NFL last year at passblocking, but Trent sometimes struggles in the run game, and our interior line sucks ass. Kilgore can't stay healthy, plus I think this is also a depth pick for Staley's inevitable retirement.

He's pretty much the best available OT in the draft. A lot of people think that the 49ers should've waited until the 2nd round to go after this guy, but the Raiders took the 2nd best OT left in the draft - after trading down because the 49ers likely took their guy.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Im such an idiot yet fucking predicted Barkley would go to the Giants and Mayfield would go 1. FUCK OUTTA HEA.

I hate the 49ers pick. Take Fitzpatrick for fucks sake and go get a bruising tackle on day 2.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Im such an idiot yet fucking predicted Barkley would go to the Giants and Mayfield would go 1. FUCK OUTTA HEA.

I hate the 49ers pick. Take Fitzpatrick for fucks sake and go get a bruising tackle on day 2.

I mean... you were able to get into the heads of the Giants and Browns front office. I will let you draw conclusions from that.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Jozu

Haha good one.

But i cant win. Everyone loves to talk shit yet I am right on a lot of things. I predicted the Foster situation with Niners, and came up in this bitch right before the draft and said the Browns are taking the Baker at 1 and Barkley is going to the Giants at 2 to team up with "Odel"(Odell, thanks dicktrickle).

I am worng about many more things than I am right, but some of you guys are very hard headed in your views and are unable to look at data and evidence and change your mind based off of what you see.

OMG A RB AT NUMBER 2? WHAT IS THIS??? What it is, is the right fucking move, and that will be proven when Barkley is fucking blasting defenders and tearing shit up like Zeke Elliot and is the OROY. Sometimes certain players transcend tradition.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
No one said the Giants wouldn't draft Barkley. Just that they shouldn't. Now they will continue to suck.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Chanur, who should the Giants have drafted?

Surely not a QB, if anything the next option was to trade out and acquire draft capital, correct? And I will bet you Barkley is a big time performer and is the darling of the league like Zeke was in his rookie season, culminating with the Giants being a much better team. If you are somehow trying to imply that the Giants will be JUST as bad WITH Barkley, your on drugs.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i am surprised pats went offense for their 2 picks but they needed an OL for brady, and a good young RB to replace Lewis.

defense imo needs DL LB CB but still decent picks

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Chanur, who should the Giants have drafted?

Surely not a QB, if anything the next option was to trade out and acquire draft capital, correct? And I will bet you Barkley is a big time performer and is the darling of the league like Zeke was in his rookie season, culminating with the Giants being a much better team. If you are somehow trying to imply that the Giants will be JUST as bad WITH Barkley, your on drugs.

They should have drafted a QB. They benched their current one last season. Yes and with Zeke they won what exactly? Oh yeah fuck all. Same thing is going to happen here. Just as bad? Probably not, but there is a huge gap in where they were and being a contender. Barkley is not going to fill that.

Jozu

Eli was benched because he was terrible and OBJ got hurt, but he was really benched because they had the worse head football coach of all time.

They didnt have to draft a QB they have one. Eli might be 37 and was bad last year, but with a healthy Odell and now with Barkley, and a new coaching staff, I reckon he will be much better in 2018.

And the Cowboys had a hugely successful season in Zekes rookie year, are you trying to say it was a failure because the Cowboys didnt win a Super Bowl? What the fuck are you talking about.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think it's hilarious we spent so much time debating Browns taking a QB or not at #1...because if they didn't get their guy there, might not be there at #4. I feel like they could have taken BPA at #1 and Mayfield would have been there at #4. But whatevs.

Still pissed Redskins left Derwin James on the board.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
God I can't wait for you idiots to eat your words. Barkley gonna run all over you Wakandans.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Rosen may end up being Rodgers, or Favre Mach II but holy fuck is he an unlikable faggot

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Haha good one.

But i cant win. Everyone loves to talk shit yet I am right on a lot of things. I predicted the Foster situation with Niners, and came up in this bitch right before the draft and said the Browns are taking the Baker at 1 and Barkley is going to the Giants at 2 to team up with "Odel"(Odell, thanks dicktrickle).

I am worng about many more things than I am right, but some of you guys are very hard headed in your views and are unable to look at data and evidence and change your mind based off of what you see.

OMG A RB AT NUMBER 2? WHAT IS THIS??? What it is, is the right fucking move, and that will be proven when Barkley is fucking blasting defenders and tearing shit up like Zeke Elliot and is the OROY. Sometimes certain players transcend tradition.

Okay, let's be real. No one was surprised the 49ers took a wait and see approach. Why? Because Foster is a very good player even if he is a poor human. Your contention was that the 49ers had inside secret info. There's no reason to suggest that. They're just playing the odds because what usually happens when a rich NFL player gets into a domestic dispute? The woman recants or doesn't press charges after the initial report or 911 call. It's not exactly Nostradamus to hedge your bets here if you're the 49ers. The only way you really get screwed is if there is video evidence of said abuse.

I don't think anyone thought it was out of the realm of possibility that the Giants would take Barkley. Giants, after all, have had shitting running games for a few years now. However, that doesn't mean it was the best pick. Almost all successful teams nowadays leverage the low cost of draft picks to build their team. Like the Barnwell article noted, your cost savings on an RB who gets picked 2nd is much smaller than many other positions. If Chubb and Barkley are both All-Pro players, the reality is you're going to have way more value from your pick having a guy like Chubb (or a QB). On the open market, an All Pro RB is 8M, maybe 10M. An All Pro DE is 20M and a QB is easily 25M+. This is especially true for first rounders where teams control the fifth year.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
A big part of taking Barkley first is stating he's the undeniable best talent in the draft, and believing in your scouting to find those gems in the rough. Snee was a second round pick, Justin Tuck was a fourth, Osi in the second. By that same token, Jacobs was in the 4th and Bradshaw in the 7th (I think these all correct but I could be wrong on them).

You are correct in the value based on dollars, and it's really the most sound argument against Barkley. At the end of the day, have to trust Gettleman that he made the right call. I would've been happy with Barkley, Chubb, or Nelson.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
But don't forget Terry Bradshaw, Jim Kelly, and Dan Marino are all in the HoF with a score of 15 and there are plenty of really high scores that didn't succeed in the NFL. Obviously higher is better, but there's more important factors in playing QB than IQ.

Football in the 70s/80s is not football in the 00s/10s.