(2020) Assassin's Creed Valhalla

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm totally fine with picking between male and female, even if it doesn't make much sense historically. It was fine in Odyssey, and I actually enjoyed Kassandra more than alexios if only for the voice actor.

I don't, however, understand switching back and forth by default. There's sort of an interesting idea of maybe a character being unknown enough that the program running the simulation isn't sure what gender to make someone so it just chooses for you, but that's not how the Animus works, right? It's going through genealogy, so it should know how it went through the family tree... Right?

spronk

FPS noob
When you start the game you can choose to play as male, female, or "let the animus decide". The last is the default option.

There is only one single story, it doesn't change depending on which character you pick, unlike Odyssey which assigned your sibling (that you didnt pick) as your rival and changed the story a lot.

Valhalla just has a single story and if you go with the default animus choice, I guess it'll make some swaps during certain chapters which is weird. You can play the whole thing as just dude or chick tho, it sounds like some shit to make the usual retard "there are no genders!!11!" crowd happy but of course nothing can ever make them happy

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i think people are misinterpreting articles, you aren't "forced" to switch characters you can change which character you are playing at any point in the story. You can play a few missions as girl Viking, then switch to boy Viking same as resetting skill trees etc. I'd assume most people will play the entire game as the character they pick at the start.

Its not like Odyssey where you picked a character and your sibling became your "rival" and a key story element, and there were some story things that changed depending on which character you were. In Valhalla there is only one story line, its the exact same no matter which character you pick.
that makes a lot more sense. there's got to be an SJW version of TDS and i think most of us have it. i just assumed that it was some trans-positive plot device.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
When you start the game you can choose to play as male, female, or "let the animus decide". The last is the default option.

There is only one single story, it doesn't change depending on which character you pick, unlike Odyssey which assigned your sibling (that you didnt pick) as your rival and changed the story a lot.

Valhalla just has a single story and if you go with the default animus choice, I guess it'll make some swaps during certain chapters which is weird. You can play the whole thing as just dude or chick tho, it sounds like some shit to make the usual retard "there are no genders!!11!" crowd happy but of course nothing can ever make them happy

incorrect. In default mode it will also switch you back and forth with you having no control over when it does so. If you don’t want this to happen you’ll need to switch it from default settings.

the idea is the DNA the Animus is using isn’t complete and it’ll switch you from time to time as it interprets the DNA differently, thus switching your gender.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Just pick a sex and be done with it, like every other game ever made.
The random sex swapping “let the animus decide” thing is just for streamers and the added entertainment it can bring with an audience.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Post launch content & Season Pass.

It looks to be similar to what they did with Odyssey, I’m fine with it since I enjoyed Odyssey and the extra content.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Did I hear that right?
River boat raids with friends?
Nooooice!

Edit: damn.. not real multiplayer, just hiring your friends character as a crew member for a raid...

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Can they get rid of the animus already? No one cares about the animus. All it does now is take you out of the game and want you to be back with the main characters as soon as possible. Give it a quick cut scene in the beginning and the end credits and be done with it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
Agreed. The Animus has basically been dumb since the end of Ezio's story.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Agreed. The Animus has basically been dumb since the end of Ezio's story.
the animus has been dumb since the conception of the animus

they probably wasted millions of dollars on crafting a story and mo-capping kristen bell to get this shitty story narrative going, when all we want to do is just jump from a building and stab a bitch.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
I enjoyed the Desmond Miles story, but it's just an annoying distraction now. I hate it every time they pull me back to "present day". Now, if they wanted to do a full blown AC in modern day that would be fine. I don't want to jump back and forth anymore though.

• 1Solidarity

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
The thing that's kind of ironic is the less there is of the Animus story line, the more annoying it becomes because it's so irrelevant now. You get pulled out of the game for essentially very little pay off.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i'd only replay ezio trilogy if there was a

asscreed ezio trilogy: no animus ultra platinum edition

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
The thing that's kind of ironic is the less there is of the Animus story line, the more annoying it becomes because it's so irrelevant now. You get pulled out of the game for essentially very little pay off.

I'm playing Odyssey now, and it's always pulls me out of the game when I exit the animus.

• 1Worf

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Every AC game has involved me skipping that animus shit as fast as possible.

It never was integrated properly, feels like a disruption of gameplay in each edition.

• 1Like

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Of the ones I've played, I think Black Flag had the worst iteration of the Animus. You go wander around a fucking office full of cubicles looking at post-it notes between moments dismantling the English navy in glorious ship-to-ship combat.

It quite literally pulls you out of the game and into a soul-crushing job.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
its a meta commentary on devs working on video games

Odyssey's animus stuff is super bizarre, they try to integrate the main story but it comes off janky and really "WTF?!?" at the end. Its actually gotten how hilarious how bad the animus gets every game after 2012.

• 1Like

Szlia

I tried to check which one of these I played and I was shocked to see Valhalla will be the 12th main installment ! And I only played the first three : 1, 2 and Brotherhood. I remember the Animus part in Brotherhood were neat, at least from a story perspective, with the main character escaping and setting camp in the modern day version of the city you re/build while in the Animus. Really liked the Ezio arch, so it's a bit strange I never got around to play Revelations which closes the Ezio trilogy.