2022 NFL Offseason Thread: Looking forward Tua better future!

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The amount of Trey Lance coverage in the national media and on social media has been alarming. One day he is a bust, the next he puts the Niners in position to win a Super Bowl. Its very strange, but Lance is basically the number one trending topic in the NFL this offseason and preseason.

I dont know what to make of it, but Im hoping the kid can stay grounded.

• 1Picard
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The amount of Trey Lance coverage in the national media and on social media has been alarming. One day he is a bust, the next he puts the Niners in position to win a Super Bowl. Its very strange, but Lance is basically the number one trending topic in the NFL this offseason and preseason.

I dont know what to make of it, but Im hoping the kid can stay grounded.

I've heard very little about him and almost all of it was more about Jimmy G not starting.

I've heard 10x as much about Brady than both

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've heard more about Baker Mayfield winning the starting QB job than Trey Lance.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think all of our news is getting filtered. I read Google news and there's tons of articles speculating about Lance but if you don't google about the 49ers you might not see them.

Personally I don't think we'll know what we have with Lance until next season really. Josh Allen was another small school QB and he played a lot more than Lance and it took him until later in his second full season of starting before it started to click for him and his 3rd season was the real breakout. I'm sure if Lance stinks it up vs. the Bears opening weekend everyone will be calling to get Jimmy back but it's really to be expected.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I am really looking forward to everyone calling him a bust when he has a shaky season. Lance is setup for success, as the 49ers have a fairly decent roster. Dude has played very little football since he graduated from high school. He is going to have an up and down year, there is no doubt.

I don't think we will know what the 49ers have in Lance for at least 2 more years.

Jozu

If he stays healthy that is already better than Jimmy G.

He just needs to play and stay playing. Everything else will work itself out. Its hilarious how the media give Jimmy credit for being a winner when the 49ers were winning in SPITE of him. He engineered a handful of late game drives to win games, but there were plenty of high leverage games where buddy was throwing 8 passes or threw 2 picks. Its very frustrating as a fan to know that your QB literally wont (cant) throw outside the numbers or deep. Everything with him was over the middle, get rid of the ball quick. Its great for YAC and taking advantage of subpar LBs but when your constricted like that, it ends up costing you.

Now the 49ers will be able to open up the entire field with Lance. If you prorated his stats over a whole season based on what he did last year, he would lead the league in deep pass attempts. What is very confusing to me, maybe someone with more than two brain cells can explain, but how the fuck was Jimmy G number 2 in the league, only behind Burrow, for yards per attempt. WTF? If he never gets the ball down the field or outside the numbers, how the fuck is this man at the top of the league in that category. What a weird stat. (I think he was at 7.8 yards per pass attempt, which was 2nd in the league.)

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I look forward to all the 49er fans who will 180 on their "The 9ers will NEVER have Jimmy G on the roster come week 1" hot takes and tell us all how wonderful it is that the 9ers kept him......

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Now the 49ers will be able to open up the entire field with Lance. If you prorated his stats over a whole season based on what he did last year, he would lead the league in deep pass attempts. What is very confusing to me, maybe someone with more than two brain cells can explain, but how the fuck was Jimmy G number 2 in the league, only behind Burrow, for yards per attempt. WTF? If he never gets the ball down the field or outside the numbers, how the fuck is this man at the top of the league in that category. What a weird stat. (I think he was at 7.8 yards per pass attempt, which was 2nd in the league.)
I don't know, but if I was to guess it probably has to do with the fact that Shanahan always rides the running game and really only asked Jimmy to make high percentage throws over the middle so his completion percentage is higher? Having Deebo and Kittle as 2 of the best YAC guys in the league doesn't hurt either.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I look forward to all the 49er fans who will 180 on their "The 9ers will NEVER have Jimmy G on the roster come week 1" hot takes and tell us all how wonderful it is that the 9ers kept him......
Any fan that says that is retarded. There is literally no reason to keep him at this point, he hasn't even been practicing with the team.

I would say there is a 0% chance he is on the roster when final cuts come down, but I suppose anything is possible. If the front office takes that cap hit, that will be one of the biggest mistakes made in franchise history. Literally pissing away $24M

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

Thing is, it doesnt matter at this point. What would they spend the 24 million on?

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Cautiously optimistic about the Patriots not being very good this year. McDaniels left with a good amount of the offensive staff. Matt Patricia and Joe Judge are running the offense, and switched to a zone run blocking scheme instead of the scheme that's worked for the last 20+ years and got them a consistently good O-line. Dante Scarnecchia retired and they had another O-line coach under him who was under contract for one more season but they let him out of it so he can go to Vegas with McDaniels.

Of course, a down year with a coach like Belichick would be something like 7-10, so not dumpster fire level, but I'll take it!

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Thing is, it doesnt matter at this point. What would they spend the 24 million on?
Are you being serious? Do you not understand how the cap works?

Hint: It doesn't just go away because they don't use it this year.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Are you being serious? Do you not understand how the cap works?

Hint: It doesn't just go away because they don't use it this year.

Bruh... there are people who are much smarter than Jozu in this thread who probably dont understand how the cap works....

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

lol obviously.

Im talking about for THIS year. They needed to release him in June and sign an O lineman to be better THIS year. And no, I have ZERO fucking clue how free agency truly works. I just know there is some kind of limit.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
lol obviously.

Im talking about for THIS year. They needed to release him in June and sign an O lineman to be better THIS year. And no, I have ZERO fucking clue how free agency truly works. I just know there is some kind of limit.
Here's a good primer.

The 2011 CBA, for the first time, allowed teams to carry over unused cap room from one year to the next.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user