300: Rise of an empire

Siliconemelons

Looks like the movie is finding its sea legs (ha..ha..) after all- the trailers before where just all mashy mashy wtf plot? bahh ohh action!...now this looks a little more peiced together.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
300 was a fun movie. I don't need this to be epic, just entertaining and I'll be happy.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Of what I liked with 300 fighting scenes is that the extras weren't doing random things. If you look at the focal point, it's badass. If you watch the guy in the background to the left, badass. To the right, badass.

Semi plot that doesn't rustle with choreographed crisp slow motion. 'all.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
choreographed crisp slow motion. 'all.
This! I know people complain about Snyder's over-use of slow motion in his movies, but honestly, I prefer that to the shaky cam bullshit that 90% of movies use nowadays. If I'm watching a movie I want to fuckingseewhat's happening, not get blinded by a dizzying, incomprehensible blur of motion and color in every action scene.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Shaky cam is the worst and it seems like everyone in the world feels that way. Why is it continuously overused? Is choreography just too expensive and time-consuming?

No shaky cam. Awesome fight scene.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This! I know people complain about Snyder's over-use of slow motion in his movies, but honestly, I prefer that to the shaky cam bullshit that 90% of movies use nowadays. If I'm watching a movie I want to fuckingseewhat's happening, not get blinded by a dizzying, incomprehensible blur of motion and color in every action scene.
hes-right-you-know-93164244350.jpeg

Szlia

The legibility or illegibility of a fight scene is the result of a number of factors. Using a lot of very short shots and a very nervous camera can result in illegibility (Batman Begins -> shaky cam) or legibility (Bourne Ultimatum -> master piece).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The legibility or illegibility of a fight scene is the result of a number of factors. Using a lot of very short shots and a very nervous camera can result in illegibility (Batman Begins -> shaky cam) or legibility (Bourne Ultimatum -> master piece).

I feel like I could grab any one of the hundreds of good non shaky, non-short clips thrown together and they'd be more enjoyable and more memorable than any shaky-short bullshit you can throw at me. Ex: The bourne clip here I don't even remember even though those movies are excellent, the fight scene is just a waste of screen time to me.

If they can make a legit fight scene with Hugo Weaving and Laurence Fishborne there's no reason to use shaky-short-shits with Matt Damon.

As for 300:2, I still feel like they took all the shit nobody cared about from 300 and made a movie about it. All I want from a 300 sequel is to see phalanx of spartan soldiers fighting Persian armies. The naval shit, the female lead trying to fill Leonaidas' sandals, Rodrigo Santoro goofing off and watching Greek cities getting sacked is very uncompelling.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk

That fight scene isn't the worst I've seen (as you mentioned, Batman begins is one of the biggest culprits), but it was still a chore to watch and I wouldn't consider it a "masterpiece". All the short shots and constant cutting back and forth make me feel like I'm watching a fight scene montage instead of a single, cohesive fight scene.

I'm sure there is all sorts of artistic bullshit behind doing scenes like that, but no normal person gives a fuck about it. They just want to see cool fighting.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hoping this movie becomes a hit so I'll have a good costume. Was thinking of making a Spartan costume, but I feel like the original movie is way too old for that to be relevant.

Szlia

My main beef is people saying "there is no choreography" or "we don't understand what's happening." The Bourne Ultimatum fight I linked is both brilliantly choreographed (with the constraints that it had to give a feeling of realism and danger - constraints that the hyper-referential Matrix fight and the athletic performance Protector fight do not have) and absolutely legible. The film making and editing make enhance the fight by making it more nervous, more visceral, more violent and less like a ballet between two willing partners. In a way, a fight like the one in The Matrix is a meta-narrative: you are not here to see a fictional fight, but here to see how clever and elegant the choreography is. In classic kung-fu movies, it is almost didactic: a kung-fu lesson for the spectators. For me, the two forms have their merits and both forms have their pitfalls (illegibility in the visceral approach, labored performances in the 'classic' approach).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My main beef is people saying "there is no choreography" or "we don't understand what's happening." The Bourne Ultimatum fight I linked is both brilliantly choreographed (with the constraints that it had to give a feeling of realism and danger - constraints that the hyper-referential Matrix fight and the athletic performance Protector fight do not have) and absolutely legible.
Did you really feel like that fight had any sense of danger? It was just a matter of enduring a couple minutes of half second shots strung together until Bourne whipped some guys' ass. Yeah I get that it was a well choreographed scene and I can appreciate the elements in it but you're trumping it up more than what it is: A bunch of incoherent shots of a brawl that would probably look pretty goofy if the camera wasn't spazzing out and switching perspectives constantly.

It's just my opinion, I understand how someone could see a 2 minute fight scene that composes of 200 split second takes with Michael J Fox as the cameraman as exciting, to me it's still a waste of a fight.

Also I don't think I've ever seen someone use the world visceral when they weren't describing some bullshit.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Shaky cam and fast cuts are used to cover up shitty visuals and lack of depth.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The third trailer for this is not encouraging, since it's 98% of the same footage and audio clips from prior teasers plus a soundtrack pull of one of the classics. Not good at all.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Can't wait, this is going to be ass and titties, ass ass, and titties. Limbs will go flying, death everywhere then back to ass and titties.