40 Superhero Movies in the Next 6 Years/Superhero Movie Bubble?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I love comic books more than most of you, but worry that the whole genre is going to crash. Is there like 40 superhero movies planned in the next six years, and then 13 superhero TV shows on the docket also?

Along with the list of movies below, for TV, you'll have: Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Constantine, Untitled Brave and the Bold, Titans, Agents of Shield, Daredevil, Power Man, Iron Fist, Misty Knight, Jessica Jones and Defenders.

At some point, the only ones that are going to care as the comic book nerds.

---------------------------------------------------------
Over 40 DC Marvel Movies Will Hit Theaters In The Next 6 Years [Updated]

May 1, 2015 ? The Avengers: Age of Ultron
July 17, 2015 ? Ant-Man
August 7, 2015 ? Fantastic Four

February 12, 2016 ? Deadpool
March 25, 2016 ? Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice
May 6, 2016 ? Captain America: Civil War
May 27, 2016 ? X-Men: Apocalypse
August 5, 2016 - Suicide Squad
October 7 2016 ? Gambit
November 4, 2016 ? Doctor Strange

March 3, 2017 ? Wolverine 3 (Untitled)
May 5, 2017 - Guardians of the Galaxy 2
June 23, 2017 - Wonder Woman
July 28, 2017 ? Spider-Man (under Marvel-Sony partnership)
July 14, 2017 ? Fantastic Four 2
November 3, 2017 - Thor: Ragnarok
November 17, 2017 - Justice League

March 23, 2018 - The Flash
May 4, 2018 - The Avengers: Infinity War ? Part 1
July 6, 2018 - Black Panther
July 13, 2018 ? Unannounced X-Men Movie
July 27, 2018 - Aquaman
November 2, 2018 - Captain Marvel

April 5th, 2019 - Shazam
May 3, 2019 - The Avengers: Infinity War ? Part 2
July 12, 2019 ? Inhumans
June 14th, 2019 - Justice League 2

April 3rd, 2020 - Cyborg
June 19th, 2020 - Green Lantern
Unlisted
New Batman solo film
New Superman solo film
Sinister Six (now without a release date after Sony-Marvel deal)
Notes:

2015-16 is the calm before the storm. We go from three films to six, then from six to nine in 2017.
We?re not counting any animated features ? list is comprised of live-action theatrical releases.

Sony has yet to date three of their movies.

There are 30 DC/Marvel films currently scheduled (28 officially) from 2015-2020
For all of the studios, the plan is mostly set from now until 2018 but after that we?ve yet to see or hear what?s happening from the studios with Marvel properties.

Following Fox?s current trend, there will be at least 1-2 X-Men/FF movies in both 2019 and 2020 so we can add 2-4 to their number. (Recall: There?s interest and/or scripts ready for Deadpool, Gambit, X-Force) (Update: Deadpool has been added!) (Update 3: Gambit has been added!)

Following Sony?s current trend, there will be at least one Spider-Man movie in 2019 and 2020 so we can add 2-3 to their number.

Following Marvel?s growing trend, there will be at least 2-3 features in 2019-2020 so we can add 4-6 to their number.
Conservative estimate is that there will be a minimum of 38 DC/Marvel movies over the next six years. If the genre keeps performing as it is now, there will easily be well over 40. (Update 2: There are more now?) (Update 4: Spider-Man joins MCU, changing Sony?s franchise plans)

Is your mind blown?

Is the genre about to peak?

Previously: At Comic-Con 2014 there were expectations that Disney/Marvel Studios and Warner Bros./DC Entertainment would announce a series of titles and dates for their upcoming features but both held back entirely, likely to focus attention on their immediate future. With both studios now (officially) laying out plans for their future, we can expect more and more news soon, especially since some of these must begin shooting next year (Doctor Strange for Marvel and whatever DC?s 2016 feature is).

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Nobody gave a fuck about Guardians of the Galaxy yet everyone saw it. It's just a genre that hasn't really been given its due until now. No different then tons of dramas and comedies every year. It's up to them to make good movies, if they do people will go. If anything comic book movies have an advantage over other genres in that they have a metric fuck ton of material to draw from. People don't get tired of watching good movies.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
yeah, 'Superhero movie' isn't really a genre, it's a meta-genre. Iron Man is a generic action flick, Captain America is more of a spy movie (winter soldier for sure), Guardians was Sci-Fi, Future Past was drama, etc.

The fact that there are Superheroes in the movies doesn't matter so much, aside from some people will be more likely to see them and some people will be less based on that fact.

spronk

FPS noob
there are definitely way too many especially when you throw in all the TV series, but frankly i'd just lump em all in with big summer action movies and the ones that are good and interesting will do great and the ones that are shitty will fail. If anything comic book movies have squeezed out new action series/remakes, and are safer bets too since almost all of them will make certain amounts of money if word of mouth is good enough.

if we see stuff like ant man, aquaman, green lantern, and shazam fail we'll probably see them stick to more mainstream heros.

End of the day i don't see why it wouldn't really follow comic trends. people eat up x-men, spidey, batman, wolverine, etc. no one gives a shit about the lamer superheroes. fuck aquaman

kMf4BV5.jpg

i have a feeling ant man is gonna suck and bomb hard too, michael douglas is like box office poison now

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is this shit really changing? 20014 we had

Sin City
GoTG
DoFP
Spider Man
Big Hero 6

Wolverine
Superman
IM 3
Kickass
Thor
Ripd

Dredd
TDKR
Avengers
Spiderman
GhostRider

Thor
Green Lantern
Xmen
Green Hornet
Chronicle

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It would be a problem if there was an influx of other good movies. But since there's not, we'll take everything we can get.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Not worried at all. Until the quality starts to drop who cares how many movies come out? For every Ironman 3 there's been how many good films?

Personally I don't give two shits about the DC films or X-Men but I'll see them if word of mouth is good. MCU gets a pass as long as there's only one I dislike out of every four or five films which has been their record so far pretty much. Didn't like Thor and didn't like Ironman 3. But even the two I liked the least had things I did like about them. Asgard/Loki for Thor and Kingsley/the 15 minutes leading up to and including when Tony got his shit wrecked. With that said Thor 2 was kinda terrible. But I liked it anyways until the climax. That shit was super retarded.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Cap 2 sucked ass.

Also I think the success of superhero movies has more to do with everything hollywood is putting out nowadays is pure shit. All sequels/prequels/reimagining, remakes and superhero movies.

New god damn terminator, fantastic four, hitman movies all of which came out less than 10 years ago. Then you got the new Jurassic Park movie, that shit is only 14 years old.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Right now is a great time for comic book movies, with MCU leading the charge.

Previously under Fox/Sony/WB etc they would shit out 2-3 movies, they would start to do terrible and then they'd stop making them. Wait 5-10 years then reboot the franchise and repeat the terribleness so they didn't lose the rights. Marvel/Disney came around and started making good comic books movies. Then suddenly everyone was like oh shit we gotta do a Cinematic universe with our terrible renditions of those properties, and try as they might they started to fail before they could even get their CUs up and running.

Xmen: Fox went back to the bryan singer roots and rebooted their franchise without having to recast Wolverine. Sad to say this is the least terrible of the non-marvel comic books series so they are likely never to return to marvel to be done proper.
FF: fox went hipster emo hactivist d00m with fantastic four already planning a sequel for a film that hopefully will bomb so hard that they lose so much money they cancel it and are back on marvel's tit in time for silver surfer to make it into Avengers: Infinity War.
DC: Had one good trilogy with a completely unrelated non-cinematic universe batman and have struck out with everything else, they decided to fuck the introductory movies to tie everything together and are just going to jump start justice league in superman 2 even though man of steel was territrash.
Sony: Had plans for trying to roll out a spiderman cinematic universe but finally wised up that they shouldn't be losing money owning the film rights to the most popular superhero on earth which is Spiderman, cancelled their idea of a cinematic universe, and bowed down to marvel's wisdom and somewhat rejoined the MCU while trying to lose as little face as possible.

iannis

Musty Nester
It'll change. Super Hero movies are the generic action movies for this cycle, but it's got to be getting near the end of it. They'll oversaturate soon and start to make less money.

Be interesting to see what replaces them.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'm kinda interested in the new avengers movie. Then I realized it's only because I like going to the movies, and there hasn't been a movie I have even considered seeing since guardians of the galaxy.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Here let me give you a cheat sheet on how to avoid burning out on them, just watch the bolded ones that are near guaranteed to be good, or at least very watchable.

May 1, 2015 - The Avengers: Age of Ultron
July 17, 2015 - Ant-Man
August 7, 2015 - Fantastic Four

February 12, 2016 - Deadpool
March 25, 2016 - Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice
May 6, 2016 - Captain America: Civil War
May 27, 2016 - X-Men: Apocalypse
August 5, 2016 - Suicide Squad
October 7 2016 - Gambit
November 4, 2016 - Doctor Strange

March 3, 2017 - Wolverine 3 (Untitled)
May 5, 2017 - Guardians of the Galaxy 2
June 23, 2017 - Wonder Woman
July 28, 2017 - Spider-Man (under Marvel-Sony partnership)
July 14, 2017 - Fantastic Four 2
November 3, 2017 - Thor: Ragnarok
November 17, 2017 - Justice League

March 23, 2018 - The Flash
May 4, 2018 - The Avengers: Infinity War - Part 1
July 6, 2018 - Black Panther
July 13, 2018 - Unannounced X-Men Movie
July 27, 2018 - Aquaman
November 2, 2018 - Captain Marvel

April 5th, 2019 - Shazam
May 3, 2019 - The Avengers: Infinity War - Part 2
July 12, 2019 - Inhumans
June 14th, 2019 - Justice League 2

April 3rd, 2020 - Cyborg
June 19th, 2020 - Green Lantern
Unlisted
New Batman solo film
New Superman solo film
Sinister Six (now without a release date after Sony-Marvel deal)

There, now you only have to worry about 2-3 a year.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Spiderman will be awesome with Marvel joining in on it
Spider-Man in the Marvel movies will be awesome. I am in no way prepared to predict his movie with Sony still involved will be anywhere near the proper Marvel movies.

your lack of faith in Deadpool is disturbing
I'll see it, but a few set photos and hitting Mario Lopez with a chair isn't gonna give me the confidence in it that the MCU has earned over the last 7 years.