Affluenza

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
They finally sold the Burleson place back in August. It looks like they have been trying to sell it for 4 years now, before this incident even occurred. So its not this incident that motivated the sale. With the latest events that have occurred I'd like to think they will take a financial hit for the harm they have caused. But like the case I linked above, they settled for 2mil out of court which was covered by liability insurance.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
On one forums someone said he had a run of downturn business or something and had been sued by lots of people in the last few years.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Well I looked up their property addresses and values and my house is worth almost double what their "second house a.k.a. the burleson mansion" AND their main house put together are worth. So... not Donald Trump indeed..
You're so fucking rich, please shower us with your money.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
You're so fucking rich, please shower us with your money.
No, this is good information. Hey Cad, in a ballpark estimate, what is your house worth? Round the numbers so we can just compare to this guy.
No rich people hate intended; you're saying your house is worth twice what this guy's two properties are worth combined, to give him a "not trump rich" status. I'm just curious what that number would be.

It's like comparing Borzak's numbers. Or Eomers. People clearly making way above the median, and their opinion on someone who comes from a wealthy standing and how they compare, overall. It's very interesting to me.

iannis

Musty Nester
Are the mexicans trying to ransom him? They've moved him around and they sent the momma back.

I don't get why they'd send her back but not him.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I was wondering the same thing. The US Marshals had said they weren't sure if they'd be able to get her back, then a few hours later they were saying she was on a plane home.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
No, this is good information. Hey Cad, in a ballpark estimate, what is your house worth? Round the numbers so we can just compare to this guy.
No rich people hate intended; you're saying your house is worth twice what this guy's two properties are worth combined, to give him a "not trump rich" status. I'm just curious what that number would be.

It's like comparing Borzak's numbers. Or Eomers. People clearly making way above the median, and their opinion on someone who comes from a wealthy standing and how they compare, overall. It's very interesting to me.
1.5-1.8 million. The Couch's houses were ~350k (Burleson Retta) and ~550k for their main house.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
1.5-1.8 million. The Couch's houses were ~350k (Burleson Retta) and ~550k for their main house.
My parents sold their place for 2M (inflated price because it was on 40 acres of avocado grove) in CA and they lived well under this guy's level.

Is this guy just spending it as fast as he earns it?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I think at some point in the not to distant past they had downsized. I mentioned it earlier but they had faced a series of business lawsuits from what someone else had posted. I'm not sure if they were related to the downturn and he got behind or what.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I cant imagine his business doing to well itself once the original judgement story broke.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
In a non retail business I'm going to guess nobody gave a shit.
If nobody patronized businesses where the owners had shitty stupid ass bratty kids that drink & drive, practically every business would be defunct.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd imagine that this family's "mansion" was out in the boonies or some other area that isn't next door to Cad's, especially given the price difference and the median in Texas being 10x lower than Cad's estimation for his own. Still, this makes the affluenza defense even sillier because either a) the kid's family was clearly not rich enough for him to not know the basic rules of society in any world the lawyer could argue it, or b) the threshold for being "too rich to understand" is like a combined barely 6 figure income, which is equally absurd. That's like, 1/3 of Santa Barbara in Cali not knowing that you can't drink while underage and kill people, and using it as a defense when it happens.

Ah well, it ended as it should: a horrific train wreck of a family in a horrific train wreck of a situation.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
This article gives a much more complete summary of the situation (aptly titled):
The Worst Parents Ever

Article_sl said:
He was driving his mom's F-150 on a night in February 2013 when a Lakeside police officer found him peeing in the parking lot of a Dollar General at 1 am. In the truck was an unclothed 14-year-old girl, a can of Miller Lite, and a 1.75-liter bottle of Grey Goose. The officer asked the clearly intoxicated 15-year-old Ethan what he was doing.

Ethan replied, "What's it look like I'm doing?"
Well then.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
F-350 going 70 mph. Might as well have crashed a train into these poor folks.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
JFC
Worst_Parents_car.jpg