All things Brandon Sanderson

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So I read about 1/3 of WoK before stuff came up and I never picked it back up. It was pretty good. In the meantime, I got the Mistborn trilogy for Christmas and was planning on reading either WoK or Mistborn next. Which series is better to get into first for a good feel of Sanderson?

FWIW I will probably start WoK from the beginning.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Go with mistborn. Its a good series and you can get a good feel for his writing style. I read, WoK first, then mistborn, went back to Elantris, then warbreaker. Can really see his progression as a writer from Elantris to WoK.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Nice, I was leaning towards Mistborn. Even though it's collectively longer than WoK, I needed a short book after woodshedding ASOIAF 3->5 in 2 weeks.

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
First draft ofWords of Radiance(Stormlight book 2) submitted to TOR today.
What a machine, if GRRM, Patrick Rothfuss, Brett, Bakker, Weeks, Lynch, Lawrence and others could write at his speed while maintaining quality I'd look for early retirement just so I could read.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just finished Rithmatist last night and really enjoyed it. Guy eventually just has to run out of ideas and ways to craft a world around them. Each time a synopsis for a new book comes it I'm like, "oh really? Colors? Well, we'll see," and "oh, chalk stick figures? Great, that sounds exciting," etc... Then I spend more time looking at the damn diagrams in the books and thinking about the mechanics. Would love to see sequels to Rithmatist, Emperor's Soul, and Alloy of Law. Good news is that along with WoR he's sure to have 4 other books published by the time I'm finished with Blood and Bone of Malazan.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What a machine, if GRRM, Patrick Rothfuss, Brett, Bakker, Weeks, Lynch, Lawrence and others could write at his speedwhile maintaining qualityI'd look for early retirement just so I could read.
Thank fuck you added the part I bolded or I'd have come back when drunk and went on some ridiculous diatribe that would benefit no one=P

Much as I love Sanderson's books I don't think of them like I do GRRM/Lynch or the first Kingkiller book. Sanderson's books are great because no one builds a world and a magic system like him, but the actual words don't stick with me quite the same. I tend to nitpick him more, but I think that's just because there always seems to be a Sanderson book fresh in your memory=P And he doesn't quite have the knack for dialogue that some of those other guys do, and I'm all about the dialogue. He's sort of like a counterpoint to Lynch that way. Lynch's world and magic are kind of hodge podge and small scale, but I could read 500 pages of just Locke and Jean talking. Sanderson makes a full vibrant world and super detailed magic system and has a lot of it all laid out in interesting and entertaining fashion pretty quickly.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just finished way of kings and fucking loved it, I hate waiting for the next book in a series, i couldn't put it down and i so want to see what happens next. I'm impressed by the quantity and quality he puts out and have enjoyed everything he does but i hope now that he is done with wheel of time he will focus on stormlight.

Phayd

Golden Knight of the Realm
Here is the latest update with projected releases:
His Blog
Tor is pushing for a Jan. release date on Words of Radiance and he wants to start keeping the time between to 18-24 months.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Jesus, I mean seriously read that blog update and just go through the list of stuff he has working, incredible. Highlights for me (other than copypasta'ing the whole list):

Warbreaker / Rithmatist sequel - Really cool, didn't know these were planned as a series unless I overlooked it completely, sounds familiar that Warbreaker was but though Rithmatist was just a short story he did during breakfast one day when the NY Times Crossword puzzle was too easy.
New Wax and Wayne!
The Liar of Partinel - A Hoid origin story... Not sure I really want this right now. He's a cool easter egg in all the novels (and can remain), but knowing too much about him might take away some mystique. But he says very far off so not too bad
Mistborn Videogame - Cool hearing that the new console generation has pushed it back and if they're developing it for Xbone / PS4 now, hope it is pretty good
Legion TV Show!- The damn short story read like a draft TV script, someone bring Jeff Goldblum back and do the same thing he did in Raines

He is a robot sent from the future

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
wait Hoid is in all the books? I have only read elantris years ago, and don't remember him. But I am very intrigued if he is tying all his books I to the same universe/multiverse

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
He is tying everything together, he has already confirmed that. I think we've seen that best in WoK so far, with those invisible creatures or whatever, and Odium. Eventually he will be doing a series that should be a culmination all his previous works.

He is tying everything together, he has already confirmed that. I think we've seen that best in WoK so far, with those invisible creatures or whatever, and Odium. Eventually he will be doing a series that should be a culmination all his previous works.
He's not even talking about Mistborn Trilogy #2 in there, so my _guess_ is the final tie up is going to be Mistborn trilogy #3.

And the reason for that is
he's publicly confirmed the state of the world of Mistborn #3 is far future with spaceships possessing FTL capabilities. That means the people of the time period of Mistborn#3 will be able to visit all of the other planets without having to go through the weird, dangerous plane of existence Shalan visits in Way of Kings.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I looked through the coppermind a bit and shit now I have to read all of these, not that I'm really complaining but man he found my weakness, this is going to be like Michael morcock or trying to keep up with all batman titles all over again. At least I won't run out of things to read.

Ebris_sl

shitlord
Just picked up Elantris today because the bookstore near me didn't have any of Mistborn. I'm like half done it already. :|

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I think Sanderson has said that the cosmere novels will be made up by 37 books. Pretty damn ambitious.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I Remember Elantris being a quick read, I think I might rereed it now that I am more aware of the overall setting. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those 37 are short stories or novellas

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
That is crazy and intriguing, though not getting the whole picture till 2035 is is sad, he better live that long, I guess I better too.

On another note, I have a hard copy of Elantris but I don't read hard copies anymore, and I don't really want to double buy it if I don't have to. does anyone know where I can find a mobi version of it for my kindle.