All things Brandon Sanderson

Seventh

Golden Squire
I humbly accept this merciful punishment, and will commence fucking right off from this thread in shame until it comes out.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Bastard
frown.png

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Audible has the first 5 chapters of steelheart for free download. I listened to it today, and it seems like it will be pretty good.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Really good story, short and simple overall which is a nice change if pace from the more complex books. This is one of those worlds where he could write an infinite number of books, but I doubt he will revisit it, at least for a long while. Which kinda sucks, because it leaves a lot unanswered.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, Steelheart was really good, if not Way of Kings level good - a bit too predictable and there are a lot of logical problems with Steelheart's secret weakness were my main gripes.

Redemption was good, but it's basically a story fragment, doesn't really go anywhere or conclude anything, like an episode of a tv show.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm only halfway through it, and enjoying it so far. It is definitely more straightforward and less complicated, as mentioned above, but I'm fine with that because it is well written, fast-paced, and interesting.

As far as revisiting the world, Goodreads lists it as the first of a trilogy (The Reckoners). Now, whether that is true or not, I haven't confirmed, and not having finished the book I can't really say for sure, but they claim the next two books are called Firefight and Calamity, which makes a hell of a lot of sense from what I've read already, particularly Calamity as the final book (especially if your comment about leaving a lot unanswered is true), so...here's hoping it really is a trilogy.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Finished Steelheart and liked it. However, I do have a problem with him writing abunch of series simultaneously. Makes me wonder if he will actually finish any of his new series at this point.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Steelheart was fun, it reads like a decent action flick. I'm not sure that I would want to read more about the same characters though.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Finished Steelheart and liked it. However, I do have a problem with him writing abunch of series simultaneously. Makes me wonder if he will actually finish any of his new series at this point.
You're wondering if the guy that published 16 books in 8 years is going to keep publishing books? He's not even 40 yet, I think he'll get around to it.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Really enjoyed it. Which is predictable, I love the superhero genre and Sanderson is a great writer...mostly. Still mostly terrible with women, but at least he wrote himself an excuse this time.

there are a lot of logical problems with Steelheart's secret weakness were my main gripes.
Well, he's basically set it up that the epics powers are essentially magic, and weaknesses can be just about anything. I thought it fit in the story and the solution to exploit it was pretty good. I mean, cheesy and all but it worked well in the framework.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I finished it this weekend and really liked it, and am particularly looking forward to the remaining books. It didn't bother me too much what the secret weakness ended up being, and at least I didn't guess it ahead of time, like I thought I had. I was actually pretty impressed with how they tried out multiple ones in plausible situations for the most part.

I was wrong about my guess, but don't read this if you haven't finished because you won't want to know if this was your guess too:
I completely thought it was the whole "crossfire" thing, because the father was shooting the other guy, but the way they maneuvered Steelheart into a crossfire of his own men was pretty damn awesome (if only mentioned in passing) because it left you without any doubt that it was wrong, but still maintained his true weakness.
I like the fact that I wasn't able to guess it immediately.

I'm fairly disappointed with the handling of the love interest, but whaddayougonnado? I'm over it already, and will enjoy the next book regardless I'm sure.

Zhakrin

Trakanon Raider
I'm only halfway through it, and enjoying it so far. It is definitely more straightforward and less complicated, as mentioned above, but I'm fine with that because it is well written, fast-paced, and interesting.

As far as revisiting the world, Goodreads lists it as the first of a trilogy (The Reckoners). Now, whether that is true or not, I haven't confirmed, and not having finished the book I can't really say for sure, but they claim the next two books are called Firefight and Calamity, which makes a hell of a lot of sense from what I've read already, particularly Calamity as the final book (especially if your comment about leaving a lot unanswered is true), so...here's hoping it really is a trilogy.
According to my copy the 2nd last page says: The battle for mankind continues in Firefight - Fall 2014

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
According to my copy the 2nd last page says: The battle for mankind continues in Firefight - Fall 2014
Yeah, the Kindle version says that too. The only thing that I didn't particularly like about it is kind of shared with my only complaint about The Way of Kings. He just doesn't pull off witty or snarky or whatever writing very well. I just see similarities in deficiencies between some of Daniel's inner dialogue (the whole I can't make a metaphor thing plus his flirting with Meagan) and Shallan. For the 99% of everything else Sanderson does spectacularly that's the one area he could drop or improve on. Anyways, looking forward to the rest and well... just about anything he publishes.

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
Nah Steelheart's weakness was perfect. They really led you to that answer when they found the hidden room with the propaganda. When they started discussing weaknesses I originally thought Steelhearts was believing he is a hero / or thinking he was good. Though after the hidden room I knew what it was.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Nah Steelheart's weakness was perfect. They really led you to that answer when they found the hidden room with the propaganda. When they started discussing weaknesses I originally thought Steelhearts was believing he is a hero / or thinking he was good. Though after the hidden room I knew what it was.
The logical problems were more with the question of what constitutes the person doing the killing. Making him unknowingly press the trigger is really no different from a claymore mine or an IED, which seems like they would have been tried previously. There's also the general question of things that have no human actor, like car accidents etc.