All things Brandon Sanderson

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
PygoCaN.jpg

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I generally like to read a book and also listen to the audio book on my commute (2 hours daily). I was having trouble getting the first mistborn book to work, I think my download got screwed up. I already had the Way of Kings audio book and was 300 pages in, so decided to restart the book as I haven't read it in a year or so. It's really a great book. I feel a bit spoiled listening to Roy Dotrice narrate A song of Ice and Fire, but the people that read WOK do a really great job as well. Roy Dotrice just had a great voice, it was mastered well, and he gave some really unique voices (at least in books 1-3). Still good. I definitely did not want to step out of my car this morning and go into work, even though I had already read this part before. I figure I'll finish this first then crack open Mistborn. Fiance bought me the 3-pack Mistborn box for Christmas.

Phayd

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just announced today Words of Radiance is being pushed back to March 4th.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I am about halfway through Way of Kings book 1 and it is really dragging. I don't know what happens, but if I were a betting man Dalanar or whatever his name is (I listen to the audio book, sorry) is going to get murdered. Eventually Kaladin will rise up from slavery. It's just really slow. I'm still enjoying it, but 12 chapters trying to find out what happened to the king's saddle is really starting to irk me.

phen_sl

shitlord
I am about halfway through Way of Kings book 1 and it is really dragging. I don't know what happens, but if I were a betting man Dalanar or whatever his name is (I listen to the audio book, sorry) is going to get murdered. Eventually Kaladin will rise up from slavery. It's just really slow. I'm still enjoying it, but 12 chapters trying to find out what happened to the king's saddle is really starting to irk me.
All I can say is give it a chance. The book REALLY picks up in the second half.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm still enjoying it, but 12 chapters trying to find out what happened to the king's saddle is really starting to irk me.
I agree and feel that the main things that make this book worth reading are Shen and Kaladims chapters. The other PoVs help with the world building and the set up for future books but they are not entirely relevant to any major events in book 1. The more ominous events to come are covered by Shen and the big game changers in book 1 revolve mostly around Kaladim and his crew. Dalinar and his sons imo are only interesting when they finally get to do something on the battlefield and afterwards with Kaladims involvement and this sets the stage for book 2.

So yes whenever I feel like rereading Way of Kings I skip most of Dalinars hemming and hawing, Shalans "cleverness" and Kaladims backstory in the village. Most of it isn't important anyway. That said most of the book was an absolute pleasure to read, especially for the first time and I'm looking forward to the next book.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
Kaladims backstory is pretty awesome when you get to the second half, when he starts getting screwed over in flashbacks as well. In fact the entire book is an exercise in how much we can fuck over one character.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
On his blog, Sanderson mentioned that the main reason he was able to get so many books out so quickly was because most of the ones released had already been written in some form. A lot of his books just needed some revisions, editing and polishing to finish up. Finishing up the Wheel of Time was similar since large chunks had already been written and there were extensive notes for the rest. Now that the backlog has been published he warned that releases wouldn't be nearly as frequent. Really looking forward to WOK #2 though.

When you're done let us know what you thought about, say, the last 100 pages.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Currently reading all things Sanderson, started with Wok and then reread Elantris, I saw alot of similarities between the main characters of these two. I.E. Witty female and lead mail giving the most downtrodden hope... Just finished warbreaker which I also really liked especially the ending and the big reveal. Working my way through the mostborn trilogy now, it seems much more fast paced, I couldn't help but think to myself that it would translate well into an ongoing tv show. Lots of unknowns hinted at that I can't sit to find out.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Steelheart is out.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15704458-steelheart

(If anyone has one of those lovely dropbox links...)
I can't find it anywhere. It isn't slated to release for another month still, so if someone has it early I don't know how.

EDIT: Oh, duh. "An advance copy was provided by the publisher for review." at the bottom of the review you linked. So it could be out there, but only if one of those advanced copies got leaked.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Ah, balls, my bad. I got the Amazon email and glanced at it thinking FUCK YES MUST ACQUIRE. Sorry about that lads.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Since you like The Black Company, your penance shall only be reminding me when it comes out (September 23rd I think, but not positive). Once I get it, I will share if no one else has by then.