Anarchy Online New Graphics Engine

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Last time I was playing, you wanted to run your daily mission and your daily alien mission, then probably go kill stuff in Shadowlands, work on your keys there etc.

Noahx

N00b
I thought I'd reactivate my old account from 2002 and give this a go again. Rather than start up one of my old characters I've created a new one, and things are slowly coming back to me.

Once you've left the new starter area is the idea still to go to Omni Trade and Omni Ent and run missions? I've noticed Clicksaver doesn't work anymore, which sucks. Is there a more recent equivalent that works? Or is there something else I should be doing at low level?
MishBuddy is the new Clicksaver... its pretty good and a nicer layout for quickly seeing what you have rolled.

I think the idea right now is Newbie Area -> Subway till 30s -> ToTW... after that, the game has a huge drop off in where you go (if you are just slummin RK). AOFroob.com has a decent amount of info. I haven't found a decent "guide" for progression path suggestions.

If you have SL, yeah you basically grind xp there... AI for gear. Never got into AI though so can't help much there.

Having a terrible time picking a prof to level again. Nothing feels as fun a my Fixer yet. Never messed with any pet classes though.

Lusiphur

Peasant
Last time I was playing, you wanted to run your daily mission and your daily alien mission, then probably go kill stuff in Shadowlands, work on your keys there etc.
This. Run your dailies, up to about 100 they give you a level or so each. If you have AI on the account then definitely run that daily too as you want those AI perks.
Shadowlands is the best for extra XP farming. Just run the key quests etc.
After 100 or so then things really start to open up.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've tried to get back into this but just can't. I don't like the Shadowlands at all. Without even going into the content, it just seems completely at odds with the AO universe and crudely tacked on. Almost like taking my AO character into FF11. I don't even know what the other expansions are there for, outside of the new starter area and player hub ICC I didn't notice any new changes.

So went back to old school missions, but nothing has changed/improved since I played over ten years ago. It was a nice trip down memory lane though.

Noahx

N00b
I've tried to get back into this but just can't. I don't like the Shadowlands at all. Without even going into the content, it just seems completely at odds with the AO universe and crudely tacked on. Almost like taking my AO character into FF11. I don't even know what the other expansions are there for, outside of the new starter area and player hub ICC I didn't notice any new changes.

So went back to old school missions, but nothing has changed/improved since I played over ten years ago. It was a nice trip down memory lane though.
Based on the last dev diary, seems they agree with you and focusing on adding more content in RK vs SL. Somehow they are putting out another decent size patch this summer focused on adding content in the 90-150 area and end game. Usually that's where I fall flat so it seems they know its a problem.

I haven't jumped back in beyond messing with a froob but its getting hard to resist sub'ing so I can dynacamp kite / meep all over.

Elsebet

Peasant

I hated Shadowlands also and eventually quit because of it. I loved AO because it was a gritty, dirty sci-fi world and Shadowlands was high fantasy.

Going from flying to walking sucks, much like WoD in WoW right now. I'm not sure why devs think that is a good idea ever. It's like having a computer at home then going to work and writing everything out with quills and parchment.

Sneaky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Curious I wanted to give this a shot, figured out what my account was, downloaded, installed, etc - only to be told from support that if you ever payed for your account, even if it was ... half a decade ago or more ago, you cannot free to play with it. Meh.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They're starting the Open Beta for their new graphic engine this week as part of their anniversary event, if anyone is curious to see how the update looks after like a decade of their one programmer working on it.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
I still get a little sad thinking about the unrealized potential of this game.

I still have yet to experience anything that equaled just the raw feeling of exploring the world in the original game. Navigating the vast environments that largely felt hand-crafted in concert with the brilliant score was something to experience. The abysmal launch simply killed any chance it had of being as successful as it otherwise may have deserved to be. I remember my group of EQ friends were all hyped up for AO leading up to release, and we all tried like hell to make it work through the issue-plagued launch, but one-by-one they dropped out within the first couple of weeks. I held on for a bit and actually made it over level 100, but the continual bugs, performance issues and the general lack of depth at that point in the game eventually killed me off, too.

I tried coming back for SL, but it was clearly a failed (and bizarre) attempt at emulating the EQ experience, since EQ at the time was basically Lord of the MMOs. I tend to come back to the game every six years or so for a nostalgia trip, but it never lasts long. Maybe I'll make one last go at it once this update hits live.

Amenra

Molten Core Raider
I still get a little sad thinking about the unrealized potential of this game.

I still have yet to experience anything that equaled just the raw feeling of exploring the world in the original game. Navigating the vast environments that largely felt hand-crafted in concert with the brilliant score was something to experience. The abysmal launch simply killed any chance it had of being as successful as it otherwise may have deserved to be. I remember my group of EQ friends were all hyped up for AO leading up to release, and we all tried like hell to make it work through the issue-plagued launch, but one-by-one they dropped out within the first couple of weeks. I held on for a bit and actually made it over level 100, but the continual bugs, performance issues and the general lack of depth at that point in the game eventually killed me off, too.

I tried coming back for SL, but it was clearly a failed (and bizarre) attempt at emulating the EQ experience, since EQ at the time was basically Lord of the MMOs. I tend to come back to the game every six years or so for a nostalgia trip, but it never lasts long. Maybe I'll make one last go at it once this update hits live.
SL definitely changed the vibe of the game.

If Funcom created a classic server for AO, pre-SL people would flock to it. Especially now since they have the updated graphics. I would easly pay $2/month just so I could roam Tir County or hit up Temple of Three Winds again on a updated graphics classic server.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
But heckler grinding was fun.

At least, the liquor and rote repetition of that phrase has convinced me of it. Getting to 220 multiple times pretty much killed my ability to play alts in MMOs without feeling physically ill.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Really loved having to equip some shitty item just so i wouldnt die to the environment in half the zones. I actually enjoyed the setting of shadowlands a fair amount, but heckler grinding was terrible.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I was an ARK in this game for a bit and just loved the game.

Launch items being question marks and then turning into awesome items later was hilariously bad database management.

I remember us watching people using the soldier reflect shield to kill slayers way above their level. Like twenty of them just getting pounded on and then zoning into a building to heal up and then back out.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
I've been playing on Live using the new engine beta, and honestly I'm not exactly sure how different things look overall because of how long it's been since I last logged in (four years or so). It's definitely not close to cutting-edge, but I suppose it looks okay. I can certainly pick out some differences in textures and landscapes. A lot of things do seem completely untouched still, which makes some of the improvements more obvious, but the original graphics then look that much worse.

Graphics aside, the damn game has me hooked again. I expect I'll plow through a few levels and quit before too long once the lack of friends and sparse population really begin to take their toll. For now, the crazy skills system remains too addicting. You always feel so close to some major upgrade, but you have to constantly be working on a mix of levelling up, optimizing (and begging for) buffs, inventing creative implant swapping, etc. "Just 5 more points in Matter Metamorphosis and I can cast this buff so that I can equip this helmet and stop for the night!!!111" Also, the nostalgia bomb that is the combination of the soundtrack and world-exploring still slays me.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
AO just hit its 15 year anniversary. All accounts are available to play / login right now (through July? I think).

I'm gonna fiddle around in it for a while and roll a new character.