Ancient Civilizations

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The pyramids were supposedly built over 20 to 30 years. 2.3 million stones averaging 5000 pounds each. They estimated that for that to happen, each stone was cut, transported and placed every 20 or so seconds for 20 to 30 years.

Weren’t 90%+ of the stones very roughly cut and jammed in to fill in the bulk? Only the outsides were precision ground limestone, and only the interior chamber linings were hewn granite. Or am i mistaken?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Weren’t 90%+ of the stones very roughly cut and jammed in to fill in the bulk? Only the outsides were precision ground limestone, and only the interior chamber linings were hewn granite. Or am i mistaken?
Some stones may have been roughly cut, but that really makes no difference. 2.3 million 5000 pound stones, cut, moved and placed over the course of a few decades. That's maybe the largest undertaking in human history and there were 3 of those with several minor pyramids and a hundred more pyramids scattered all over Egypt. Then you have the dimensions which are astonishing in itself. Each side lines up perfectly with North, South, East and West. There are quite a few of those crazy facts about the pyramids. Marvel of engineering 5000 years ago.

The size and weight of pyramid blocks varied depending on their location in the pyramid:
  • Core stones
    The average size of core stones was 1.27 m x 1.27 m x 0.69 m (50 in x 50 in x 27 in) and they weighed around 2,500 kg (5,511 lbs).
  • Higher layers
    Smaller blocks, around 1.0 m x 1.0 m x 0.5 m (approx 1.3 tons), were used in higher layers because they were easier to transport.
  • King's Chamber
    Stone blocks in the King's Chamber weighed between 50,000–60,000 kg (110,000–132,000 lbs).
  • Above the King's Chamber
    The largest granite stones in the pyramid, located above the King's Chamber, weighed between 25–80 tons each

Last edited:

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Some stones may have been roughly cut, but that really makes no difference. 2.3 million 5000 pound stones, cut, moved and placed over the course of a few decades. That's maybe the largest undertaking in human history and there were 3 of those with several minor pyramids and a hundred more pyramids scattered all over Egypt. Then you have the dimensions which are astonishing in itself. Each side lines up perfectly with North, South, East and West. There are quite a few of those crazy facts about the pyramids. Marvel of engineering 5000 years ago.

The size and weight of pyramid blocks varied depending on their location in the pyramid:
  • Core stones
    The average size of core stones was 1.27 m x 1.27 m x 0.69 m (50 in x 50 in x 27 in) and they weighed around 2,500 kg (5,511 lbs).
  • Higher layers
    Smaller blocks, around 1.0 m x 1.0 m x 0.5 m (approx 1.3 tons), were used in higher layers because they were easier to transport.
  • King's Chamber
    Stone blocks in the King's Chamber weighed between 50,000–60,000 kg (110,000–132,000 lbs).
  • Above the King's Chamber
    The largest granite stones in the pyramid, located above the King's Chamber, weighed between 25–80 tons each

hmmm none of that seems crazy to me… A pair of Ox on a yoke can pull 12,000lbs. And real basic knowledge of geometry and star motion gets you a 90 degree angle to true North…

But ya the scale and dedication is certainly impressive. I’m more impressed by the logistics than the actual structure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
hmmm none of that seems crazy to me… A pair of Ox on a yoke can pull 12,000lbs. And real basic knowledge of geometry and star motion gets you a 90 degree angle to true North…

But ya the scale and dedication is certainly impressive. I’m more impressed by the logistics than the actual structure.
Ox are fast animals? Do they eat a lot? 2.3 million blocks of stone over 20 years. how many stones were hauled every minute? How many oxen would be needed?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ox are fast animals? Do they eat a lot? 2.3 million blocks of stone over 20 years. how many stones were hauled every minute? How many oxen would be needed?
Who is making the 20 year claim and what's their evidence for it?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Who is making the 20 year claim and what's their evidence for it?
Who? The ancient Egyptians. The pyramid was a tomb intended for the king and they werent going to put him in it 100 years after his death. It was to be ready for his death. So they put it together in 20 years. Now if you disagree with the egyptologists and say no way they can build that in just 20 years, that would make you a conspiracy theorist. Ya know the people who believe Mauritania is the home of Atlantis.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Who? The ancient Egyptians. The pyramid was a tomb intended for the king and they werent going to put him in it 100 years after his death. It was to be ready for his death. So they put it together in 20 years. Now if you disagree with the egyptologists and say no way they can build that in just 20 years, that would make you a conspiracy theorist. Ya know the people who believe Mauritania is the home of Atlantis.
So you personally decided it was 20 years then got mad at yourself?

You know that these people erased names on monuments and put their own there instead right?

Again, has any Egyptologist said it actually took 20 years? Because they probably explained the math instead of us guessing here.

• 1Worf

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

You know that these people erased names on monuments and put their own there instead right?

Again, has any Egyptologist said it actually took 20 years? Because they probably explained the math instead of us guessing here.
Dude are you fucking high right now? Look I have lots of stoner friends, when you are a metalhead growing up. You tend to have friends who light up. I didn't make up the 20 years thing. When you sober up or whatever. Google will still be there. Please use it. I like to prove stuff to ignorant people, but you're just being stupid.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Dude are you fucking high right now? Look I have lots of stoner friends, when you are a metalhead growing up. You tend to have friends who light up. I didn't make up the 20 years thing. When you sober up or whatever. Google will still be there. Please use it. I like to prove stuff to ignorant people, but you're just being stupid.
I'm saying this to get you to look up the maths used.

• 1Imbecile

Chris

Potato del Grande
Maths.....
Yes there's more than one of them.

I'm just saying, rather than being confused by the conclusion and trying to work it out yourself with zero expertise, look at how they came to their conclusion and poke holes in that. That way we can look up a much narrower range of knowledge we can actually look up.

• 1Imbecile

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

You're being pedantic friend.

The current official story is that the Pharaoh Khufu had it built for his royal tomb. Therefore it had to have been built within his lifetime, but after he took the Throne. Because his father's pyramid is much smaller and less grand. So you really had this approximately 30 years or so to build it so it would be ready by the time of his death. This is again following the tradition of the Mustabas that also litter the Giza plateau. Additionally it would have had to have been a time of great plenty within the region due to the resources it took to make.

Quaid Quaid adding to that is that the quarry for the stones was most likely in Aswan. So they had to move all of that several hundred kilometers to the site.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
You're being pedantic friend.

The current official story is that the Pharaoh Khufu had it built for his royal tomb. Therefore it had to have been built within his lifetime, but after he took the Throne. Because his father's pyramid is much smaller and less grand. So you really had this approximately 30 years or so to build it so it would be ready by the time of his death. This is again following the tradition of the Mustabas that also litter the Giza plateau. Additionally it would have had to have been a time of great plenty within the region due to the resources it took to make.

Quaid Quaid adding to that is that the quarry for the stones was most likely in Aswan. So they had to move all of that several hundred kilometers to the site.
I had a quick look and the majority came from Giza. Aswan was used only for the nice stones on the outside - most of which are missing today.

I'm on holiday so can't research too much - but Egyptologists must have done the maths for this so why not start there? If they haven't then either it took longer or "Aliens".

Quaid

Trump's Staff

Aren’t there writings from Ancient Greece saying the project took a workforce of 100k men? That’s a lot of dudes.

Let’s say the were oxen teams of two each with a load capacity of 2 blocks… they work 300 days per year for 20 years… They make a single delivery per day…

So 6000 work days and you’d have to move 384 blocks per day to get to 2.3million blocks. That’s 192 oxen tandems… and they’d make a delivery every 5 minutes if they delivered for 14 hours per day? So double the number of Oxen because one day they’re delivering and the second day they’re travelling back to the quarry site? I dont know about oxen stamina so maybe thats not necessary, but maybe worst case you’d need 1000 animals at any given time?

My mind isn’t blown.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Aren’t there writings from Ancient Greece saying the project took a workforce of 100k men? That’s a lot of dudes.

Let’s say the were oxen teams of two each with a load capacity of 2 blocks… they work 300 days per year for 20 years… They make a single delivery per day…

So 6000 work days and you’d have to move 384 blocks per day to get to 2.3million blocks. That’s 192 oxen tandems… and they’d make a delivery every 5 minutes if they delivered for 14 hours per day? So double the number of Oxen because one day they’re delivering and the second day they’re travelling back to the quarry site? I dont know about oxen stamina so maybe thats not necessary, but maybe worst case you’d need 1000 animals at any given time?

My mind isn’t blown.
Ancient Greek writings Herodotus said they only worked three months out of the year

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Ancient Greek writings Herodotus said they only worked three months out of the year

Ok so triple the amount of oxen? Even 3000 seems fine. I bet there were many unloading teams for the blocks on site, but then many placement and many shaping teams too.

That said i was MEGA conservative and all this seems real achievable with the respurces and tech of the time.

Last edited:

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Ok so triple the amount of oxen? Even 3000 seems fine. I bet there were many unloading teams for the blocks on site, but then many placement and many shaping teams too.

That said i was MEGA conservative and all this seems real achievable with the respurces and tech of the time.
No oxen and no wheels for the great pyramid.

Chris

Potato del Grande
If Herodotus said they built it, then we should belive him the same amount you belive Plato.

Also this video seems timely, I wonder what it will say...

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If Herodotus said they built it, then we should belive him the same amount you belive Plato.

Also this video seems timely, I wonder what it will say...

You dont watch the videos I link. Take a guess what I'm going to do with this one.