Ancient Civilizations

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Does hydraulics in a 5000 year old structure count as advanced technology.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

It's pretty believable that both hobbits and giants were common on Earth at some point.

Hell, I imagine most of human history has been a lot like an MMO. From the time humans could form civilization (let's say 50,000 years ago) up until the dawn of the modern age (let's say 10,000 years ago). At first I imagine life consisted of clearing out dungeons (caves), defeating their inhabitants, making a home for yourself, and going out to hunt more mobs. Then as civilization took root, there were cities with walls that were safe, and outside those cities in the wild-lands you were right back to having to go out and slay mobs in order to acquire more space/resources/living spaces. Thus for most of human history, it was an MMO out there. Go out, hunt, raid, etc, go back to the safety of the city, repeat. Wouldn't shock me to find out dragons also existed at some point (the fire breath was probably an embellishment though). Who knows. We've excavated so little of the actual archaeology on this planet and we have entire continents un-excavated (Antarctica, plus the entire Sahara region).

I think in modern post-flood history, humans have mostly been pitted against humans as the survivors fought over resources and that just became the way of things. No real sabertooth tiger competition anymore either, all the large fearsome beasts had been long-since hunted to extinction. However it wouldn't shock me to find out the antediluvian period was a 40,000 year long MMO.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's pretty believable that both hobbits and giants were common on Earth at some point.

Hell, I imagine most of human history has been a lot like an MMO. From the time humans could form civilization (let's say 50,000 years ago) up until the dawn of the modern age (let's say 10,000 years ago). At first I imagine life consisted of clearing out dungeons (caves), defeating their inhabitants, making a home for yourself, and going out to hunt more mobs. Then as civilization took root, there were cities with walls that were safe, and outside those cities in the wild-lands you were right back to having to go out and slay mobs in order to acquire more space/resources/living spaces. Thus for most of human history, it was an MMO out there. Go out, hunt, raid, etc, go back to the safety of the city, repeat. Wouldn't shock me to find out dragons also existed at some point (the fire breath was probably an embellishment though). Who knows. We've excavated so little of the actual archaeology on this planet and we have entire continents un-excavated (Antarctica, plus the entire Sahara region).

I think in modern post-flood history, humans have mostly been pitted against humans as the survivors fought over resources and that just became the way of things. No real sabertooth tiger competition anymore either, all the large fearsome beasts had been long-since hunted to extinction. However it wouldn't shock me to find out the antediluvian period was a 40,000 year long MMO.
There was some story about an animal that the Romans were sold that had no feather or fur, but was as big as Dog with teeth like daggers. When you approached, it would spit at you and the spit would burn like the hottest forges. This story/article is years old and I cant find which one it is now. It listed out all the animals that the Romans wrote about in its entirety. But it just lead me to believe that there was Dilophosaurus, as extinct as they should be, a variant of them still existed in likely some secluded ass area in Africa and they were hunted into extinction. Or, possibly, since Dragons were known earlier than the Romans - likely an island.

Regardless, I can perfectly see how caustic spit by a good sized Lizard could initiate all kinds of good stories that would spread over vast distances and eons in time.

Dilophosaurus-is-roaring.jpg

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
There was some story about an animal that the Romans were sold that had no feather or fur, but was as big as Dog with teeth like daggers. When you approached, it would spit at you and the spit would burn like the hottest forges. This story/article is years old and I cant find which one it is now. It listed out all the animals that the Romans wrote about in its entirety. But it just lead me to believe that there was Dilophosaurus, as extinct as they should be, a variant of them still existed in likely some secluded ass area in Africa and they were hunted into extinction. Or, possibly, since Dragons were known earlier than the Romans - likely an island.

Regardless, I can perfectly see how caustic spit by a good sized Lizard could initiate all kinds of good stories that would spread over vast distances and eons in time.

Pliny the Elder, The Natural History

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 08-28-52 Pliny's Natural history. In thirty-seven books Pliny the Eld...png

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 08-30-22 Pliny's Natural history. In thirty-seven books Pliny the Eld...png

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande

That sounds like a Komodo Dragon, why would you jump to a random extinct dinosaur and not a living lizard?

Don't take the spit thing literally. These people sensationalised a lot of stuff. They do have poisoned bites.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
These people sensationalised a lot of stuff.
If you want a laugh, just look at the respective descriptions by ancient romans and chinese of each other.

That gives you an idea of how accurate descriptions of anything outside of their immediate country was.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
If you want a laugh, just look at the respective descriptions by ancient romans and chinese of each other.

That gives you an idea of how accurate descriptions of anything outside of their immediate country was.
Yeah all of the first contact, or no contact but hearsay stories are amazing, listened to a lot of them from this channel:

It's nuts that everything written by ancient people is taken as 100% fact and we need to make up insane things to make what they said fit with reality.

Pliny the Elder specifically wrote a load of bullshit from hearsay or guesswork mixed in with real scientific observations.

Last edited:

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The main things I trust from ancient writings are bloodline records and taxes/accounting records. Shit was srs bsns

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
The main things I trust from ancient writings are bloodline records and taxes/accounting records. Shit was srs bsns
Got any ideas about those 100s of year old Genesis geneologies?

Did they mean actual years, months or seasons?

I'm sure someone has it figured out but not seen the explanation personally.