Any way to stop websites like Radaris.com or Intelius.com?

astos_sl

shitlord
A little off topic, but the privacy invasion of the internets has gone too far.

If you do a search for your name on one of those websites, you will see an awful lot of personal information come up - where you've lived, people you're related to, where you've worked, etc.

I tried to follow Radaris' instructions for removal and at the very end they wanted me to log in with my facebook or google account to 'confirm' my identity
rolleyes.png

Is there any way to force these companies or companies like them to remove your name from their listings permanently? I believe those websites just scour the web through public record databases, but they shouldn't be able to summarize all of your information in 1 convenient place for anyone on the web to see.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Interesting, first I've heard of them - the info on my wife is astonishingly accurate - mine less so, including a completely nonsensical "Also known as:" my last name is a P-name and they have it as "FIRSTNAME" J Alt as one of my other known names.

Also doesn't include my (adopted) brother and sister.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Nope. Good luck with living in the modern age.
There will never be a way if you keep having this attitude.

The only way it gets removed, or you have any control over it is if you and many many others are vocal about it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So, just so you know where all this information comes from:

Ever shop at a grocery store and sign up for their dumb little key-tag? How about order pizza from Papa John's? What about registering for a major retailer website? Is your Linked-In profile active? Payday/Title Loan? Bought a house or land? Activated a cell-phone on a contract? There are far too many sites and data aggregators like Radaris to remove your information from all of them. And, generally, when they update their files again they will gain more pieces of your personal life and automagically compile it back together.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wow they have almost my wife's entire damn life down. Not so for me, probably because I lie on pretty much all forms other than official ones. Curiously they don't know that my wife and I are married (different last names). Overall not happy with the amount of info they've collected, but what can you do - this is the Information Age.

Cybsled

So, just so you know where all this information comes from:

Ever shop at a grocery store and sign up for their dumb little key-tag? How about order pizza from Papa John's? What about registering for a major retailer website? Is your Linked-In profile active? Payday/Title Loan? Bought a house or land? Activated a cell-phone on a contract? There are far too many sites and data aggregators like Radaris to remove your information from all of them. And, generally, when they update their files again they will gain more pieces of your personal life and automagically compile it back together.
This. You really can't stop those websites unless you drop off the grid or provide alternative contact info when you do anything or you have a generic-as-hell name (like John Smith lol). That being said, most states have laws about what sort of information can be provided to whom from these sites (ie, random schmuck is going to be supplied with a lot less info than an insurance company or law enforcement).

Rime

<Donor>
All of the information on me is out of date by at least ten years. *Off of the 'gridding' intensifies*

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The problem is a lot of privacyisn'ta right or rather listed as a specific list of enumerated protected 'items'. Most of it is simply 'security through obscurity'. Even SSNs are exceptionally easy to back into if you know the last 4, yet that is considered 'safe' confirmation of identity. Lots of information is protected by having been put on paper 5+ years ago, or 'shielded' by needing a FOIA request, etc.

Plus, once any of this shit gets out, even 'benign' parts of giant retailer data leaks like addresses/e-mails (ie anything not encrypted to PCI standards), it will wind up into contact/sales list resellers hands at some point and back into those websites.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know what paying for premium will get you but this is all just based on public records. Where you lived, worked, who you're related to, that's all matters of public record if you wanted to dig hard enough, these sites just make it far easier to search. I'm not sure what there is to be afraid of with that info being public like it always has been.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There will never be a way if you keep having this attitude.

The only way it gets removed, or you have any control over it is if you and many many others are vocal about it.
I think we just need to start killing everyone with this attitude. Too bad they're already in power.

if your founding fathers were in charge today, you'd get another Amendment.

I don't know what paying for premium will get you but this is all just based on public records. Where you lived, worked, who you're related to, that's all matters of public record if you wanted to dig hard enough, these sites just make it far easier to search. I'm not sure what there is to be afraid of with that info being public like it always has been.
There are plenty of scenarios where you don't want this type of information at everyone's finger tips.
Your wife's name sounds Arab? that's really suspicious. Just how public should public records be, anyways. And what does the state really have to know? In the 1930s, the Netherland did a full census on their population, including religion. In 1940, the Nazis took those records and went jew-shopping. The Netherlands had the highest murder-rate of all European countries on their Jewish Population, 73%, and yes that is including Germany itself, where the Nazis had 7 more years to find all the jews than in the Netherlands.

Always ask yourself why the government needs to know this. Most of the time, it's none of their business.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
these types of sites data mine, i'm also sure they all probably share or rent the same big databases too.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think we just need to start killing everyone with this attitude. Too bad they're already in power.

There are plenty of scenarios where you don't want this type of information at everyone's finger tips.
Your wife's name sounds Arab? that's really suspicious. Just how public should public records be, anyways. And what does the state really have to know? In the 1930s, the Netherland did a full census on their population, including religion. In 1940, the Nazis took those records and went jew-shopping. The Netherlands had the highest murder-rate of all European countries on their Jewish Population, 73%, and yes that is including Germany itself, where the Nazis had 7 more years to find all the jews than in the Netherlands.

Always ask yourself why the government needs to know this. Most of the time, it's none of their business.
How the fuck are you supposed to not allow your damnnameto be a matter of public record? It would be literally impossible to do business, agree to contracts, comply with the most basic aspects of an orderly society.

You're basically invoking Godwin's Law already?

Rime

<Donor>
Under most circumstances, you can contact the websites in question and request that your information be removed. You may have to go through a conversation in email, chat, or on the phone - But it is possible.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden

The government actually does have a right to know what your name is and where you live. It also has a right to know where you work, you know, since they are taxing your income.

I don't see any other info on there that is invasive.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The government actually does have a right to know what your name is and where you live. It also has a right to know where you work, you know, since they are taxing your income.

I don't see any other info on there that is invasive.
Yes I agree with that - I see two different issues here though

stuff the government does not need to know
and stuff the government knows and is willing to share with non-governmental entities.

astos_sl

shitlord
Look at what you have to give Intelius to remove yourself from their website - copy of your drivers license

Seriously, how the fuck is that legal?