Any way to stop websites like Radaris.com or Intelius.com?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes I agree with that - I see two different issues here though

stuff the government does not need to know
and stuff the government knows and is willing to share with non-governmental entities.
They aren't "sharing" shit, once again some things are a matter of PUBLIC record, and with reasonable basis. You act like Obama is selling social security numbers or something.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Look at what you have to give Intelius to remove yourself from their website - copy of your drivers license

Seriously, how the fuck is that legal?
You have winamp and EQ installed and IE on your toolbar. Your arguments are invalid.

Cybsled

The main usage of these sites is for business/law enforcement AFAIK. From my understanding, when you register for an account on some of these sites, there is basically a vetting process to determine what type of entity you are (ie, individual or corporation). Based on that, you are given a certain level of access to info. It has always been my understanding that certain entities, like insurance or law enforcement, get greater access. I've only experienced it from the corporate side, so I can't confirm 100% what the specific differences are. I won't mention which one I've experienced, but it is neither of the 2 listed in the subject line.

You still need a decent amount of base info to locate a person. Unless they have a super unique name and literally the only person in the USA with that name, you'll need more info to narrow down searches. If you have a SSN, then obviously that is the easiest way (although you'd be surprised how many "duplicate" SSNs show up in states that border Mexico lol). These sites also don't always have up to date info....they may report former addresses as current addresses and display alleged former addresses that are actually current addresses. Social worker facilities/churches can even sometimes show up as addresses if the person has been in and out of them.

That being said, in my line of business, a site like this is a HUGE tool. Some people might get wary/paranoid when we find them (how did you find me!?), but it's usually to give them money they are owed rather than be forced to turn it over to the state.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
What's funny is that as more personal information gets put out on the net, public records are becoming harder to obtain. I noticed that here in Texas (or at least Travis county), many "public" records now require a login/fee to access, whereas they didn't a year or two ago - unless you physically go to the clerk's office and fill out a bunch of paperwork. All the info is in their database and can be accessed, they just want monies for it now.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Never cared about this stuff. The only thing I worry about is having my identity stolen I suppose. I wonder how hard it'd be to get enough info to access one of the few accounts I care about.

iannis

Musty Nester
I'm not really worried about law enforcement using it. Fucking Barney Fife one finger typing through search databases doesn't fill me with dread.

I've always assumed that ad agencies sell this sort of shit to other ad agencies and for the most part it just goes round and round in the irrelevant machine.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
They have my name, the cities ive lived in (FPO showing up is funny) and my age. OH NOES.

They also link to people im related to...except its missing almost everyone.

Im willing to bet i could farm the same info off of your facebooks.

Shit I could probably go through your post history and farm more relevant information.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Nothing on there that you couldn't find by just visiting my facebook page.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Put my info in and just lists my dad and a city he used to live in. 2/4 of his "related to" are wrong and his aliases are just variations of his first name. Not exactly NSA big brother stuff

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pretty surprised at how out of date all this is, on both myself and my wife. I guess I'm not that surprised about mine since I generally avoid putting my information out there, but my wife not so much.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm not really worried about law enforcement using it. Fucking Barney Fife one finger typing through search databases doesn't fill me with dread.

I've always assumed that ad agencies sell this sort of shit to other ad agencies and for the most part it just goes round and round in the irrelevant machine.
This is the main thing that annoys me. Its like credit agencies selling my personal information, why should others get to make money off of my personal info and I not be compensated for it?

little question, how do you change or alter names that are on phone numbers? I use tnid a lot to check out numbers and for half of them theres no name listed. If I search my own number it will list my name. How do I change that?

Personally me every so often I google my name, and aliases I use online(email, im name etc.) to see what it brings up. Good way to clean up personal information trail.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This is the main thing that annoys me. Its like credit agencies selling my personal information, why should others get to make money off of my personal info and I not be compensated for it?
You are compensated for it by getting to use every service on the internet for free.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I'm 99% sure law enforcement has it's own database. Seems silly they would have to use something retarded like this to find out info about you.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
My shit isn't even on there, huzzah for never signing up for a fucking thing. eat a dick modern world.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm 99% sure law enforcement has it's own database. Seems silly they would have to use something retarded like this to find out info about you.
I imagine they do too, and the McNulty-level detectives use it and all these other random databases while scrub detectives just use the official resources and call it quits.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
This is one reason I'm happy in this modern age to have one of the most common first and last names in the English speaking world. You can't find shit about me just by Googling by name, because there are probably 100,000 other people out there with my name.

My girlfriend asked me once if I ever Googled her name. (I lied and said no.) She goes "I tried Googling you once but it's impossible to find anything." Meanwhile she bitched about hers, and she had a valid point. Unusual European name and rare last name, from what I gather she's one of two people in the world with the name combo. So the first page of Google has intellius and all those others with like the first digits of her current phone number (which is cellular, wtf?) her addresses all the way back to the mid 90's, etc.