Apple/Mac Thread

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
None of those things really seem interesting to me though. Pretty much all I do with my phone these days is check stocks, text, read work email and take pictures. I have a charger on my desk so my phone sits at 100% most of the day and is barely ever below 50%. Every time someone hands me an android I despise the 17 context menus and complication. Seems to me if you do more than the basics with your phone, then android offers superior customization, superior hardware if you shop around, features, etc. However Apple offers the simple "just works" phone for those of us that don't really do shit with it. I want a good camera, I like imessage (so I can text on my computer most of the day) and I like the fact that I pretty much haven't had to dick with anything phone-related since like 2011. I just buy a new one every 2 years and my backup goes right on the new phone and I don't even have to fix settings.

Granted last time I had an android I had an HTC EVO 4g WiMax so that was a long fucking time ago. But I do not want to deal with boot loaders, ROMs, silent installing apk's, blah blah blah.

I do 99% of my texting/phone calls via my Mac these days. There is a direct correlation to my willingness to respond to texts and how close I am to my Mac.

I briefly played with the Appleseed version of iOS 10 and macOS Sierra. Messages got built up a bit. Ended up going back because some of my third party apps weren't stable. Also learned to downgrade the Watch it has to be sent in >_>

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I hear iPhones are going to shed their headphone jack.

This should go over well.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Music apps drain like 5% an hour on my S7 Edge (w/ screen on at that) - big batteries rule!
not sure how long you've had your S7, but I've had mine since release and the battery is already starting to go to shit.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I've definitely noticed a pretty big decline in how long my S6 lasts on a full charge compared to when it was new. Hard to say exactly how much, but I'd be willing to be it's a 20-30% decline. And I don't use a shit ton of apps or games or anything like that, and said usage has been consistent from when I first got my phone until now. I seem to recall the same with the Nexus 4 I had before it. With both I used to easily make it from a full charge first thing in the morning until the evening. Now I've just gotten in the habit of charging it at my desk during the day to keep it close to 100%.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Isnt the S7 a hot deal right now?

Side note, family member just gave me their old iMac 21inch over the weekend. Think its a 2013? Not sure, will have to dig into it. They claim lightning struck and it stopped, will see how this goes. Either way free and see what works.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Bah, mid 2010 model. Got apple logo on boot then just spins and then turns into NO (Circle crossed out). Not sure what that means, new to me. Ordered a replacement HD kit with data doubler to replace the current HD and CD drive.
Guessing the HD is dead, wont know till I can get the kit to pull out the screen. Could try with other tools but will wait. Kit has the replacement temp sensor so all should be good.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I've used the iphone my whole life and have been moderately happy with it, not a fangay but it's what I was use too. I'll keep my 6+ until next year when the 8 comes out to see what's what, but no way am I getting the 7. If my shit breaks between now and then i'm moving to something else.

Cybsled

I'm still grandfathered into the unlimited data on iphone, so I've stuck with it. I still have a 4 and I need to upgrade. Not sure if I should go for the new 7, or wait to see what the price drops on the 6S will be.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm still grandfathered into the unlimited data on iphone, so I've stuck with it. I still have a 4 and I need to upgrade. Not sure if I should go for the new 7, or wait to see what the price drops on the 6S will be.
holy crap dude grandfathered is not worth using IOS7 and iphone4, that shit is old, i have an old iphone 4 running my bathroom music/podcasts, i'm almost going to instead just put my ipad in there instead cuz screen is so small.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
not sure how long you've had your S7, but I've had mine since release and the battery is already starting to go to shit.

I have had mine since release and I do not experience this at all. Sure you don't have some app draining your battery?

I still use ~50% charge per day on mine with light-moderate use.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Oh, look, another phone that isn't worth upgrading to from a 6+. Thanks, Apple. I mean, Obama.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Oh, look, another phone that isn't worth upgrading to from a 6+. Thanks, Apple. I mean, Obama.
If you thought there would be a drastic difference, you might be retarded. Unless this is your first iPhone and you have paid zero attention to previous models.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
My HTC on M9 is over 1 year old. Charge up every night. It had a decline in battery life but it's not that bad. I listen soundcloud for about 1-2 hours per day while driving. I use google map to avoid congestion while I drive all the time. In the end of the day I have 10-20% left.

The phone is Ok and I got it for free. Daughter has my old HTC one 7 and I do think the 7 was a much better phone than the 9 material quality wise. Screen is brighter on old phone, the exterior look like new even after 3.5 years of use.

Back to the new Iphone. I like the dual camera like HTC M8 had but removing the headphone jack is obviously a scam to make more money.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Okay, guys. Do you understand the tick/tock model? The 7 should have been a "tock", after the "tick" of the 6S, which wasn't much of a change from the 6. It isn't. It is essentially a 6S that you don't have to put in a water-resistant case if you're prone to dropping your phone in water.

The rumour that has been circulating is that major design changes didn't make the cut this time around and will be saved for next year (which will apparently be the iPhone 8, and not the 7S). This is, as far as I know, the first time that Apple has skipped a major revision in their 2 year cycle. So, yes, I expected more this year. This is their historical model. Unless, you know, you haven't been paying attention.

Heian, how can it be a scam to make more money if they are providing the adapter with the phone (which they are)? The result is a net zero difference, unless you have a few pairs of headphones and can't be bothered to carry the adapter with you.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
If you have a 6/6+ this is a pretty big upgrade in performance/camera... don't know what design changes ya'll are looking for other than faster/upgraded internals. If you have a 6S/6S+ it's less of an upgrade of course.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Around 2 months at this point - I do keep a constant eye on leaving apps open though keep in mind - my woman can kill her battery quick, but she's lazy about managing what she leaves open in the background.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
If you have a 6/6+ this is a pretty big upgrade in performance/camera... don't know what design changes ya'll are looking for other than faster/upgraded internals. If you have a 6S/6S+ it's less of an upgrade of course.

I'm hoping for a better antenna, to be honest. Signal strength with my phone vs. anyone else's Android-based phone has always been in their favour, it seems, though it's hard to compare Apples to apples in this case since there are so many variables.

That, and the removal of the home button, shrinking the phone a bit because of removal of said home button, removal of the bezel areas at the sides of the phone, sturdier construction materials... would be nice. Might even convince me to spend another $1300 on a phone. None of the new features on the 6S or 7 have done that for me.