Apple/Mac Thread

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'm hoping for a better antenna, to be honest. Signal strength with my phone vs. anyone else's Android-based phone has always been in their favour, it seems, though it's hard to compare Apples to apples in this case since there are so many variables.

That, and the removal of the home button, shrinking the phone a bit because of removal of said home button, removal of the bezel areas at the sides of the phone, sturdier construction materials... would be nice. Might even convince me to spend another $1300 on a phone. None of the new features on the 6S or 7 have done that for me.

Removal of the home button seems like a pretty key design change. How would the UI function without said button?

Also where do you get $1300? A 7+ 128GB is $869

Last edited:

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Removal of the home button seems like a pretty key design change. How would the UI function without said button?

Also where do you get $1300? A 7+ 128GB is $869

Yes, it's a key design change, and it's been in the rumour mix for years, given other manufacturers' designs dropping the physical button and moving to a virtual one. Have you never seen this on any Android phones? They've had virtual home buttons for years now, and they work just fine.

I'm Canadian, that's where I get $1300. I'd probably go for 256GB as I always find a way to fill up space, but even at 128GB, that's $1150 at a reasonable rate of 1.34 exchange, and that's not including the tax. Also, AppleCare.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yes, it's a key design change, and it's been in the rumour mix for years, given other manufacturers' designs dropping the physical button and moving to a virtual one. Have you never seen this on any Android phones? They've had virtual home buttons for years now, and they work just fine.

I'm Canadian, that's where I get $1300. I'd probably go for 256GB as I always find a way to fill up space, but even at 128GB, that's $1150 at a reasonable rate of 1.34 exchange, and that's not including the tax. Also, AppleCare.

I haven't had an android since my HTC EVO.. have had iphones since the 4.

I dunno, nothing about my phone bothers me really aside from the battery and I like the better cameras in the new phones.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I'm still grandfathered into the unlimited data on iphone, so I've stuck with it. I still have a 4 and I need to upgrade. Not sure if I should go for the new 7, or wait to see what the price drops on the 6S will be.

Unlimited with which cell provider??

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I had an unlimited AT&T plan until last year. I got off it once I realized I was using like 400mb of data a month and it was way more expensive than a capped plan.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I had an unlimited AT&T plan until last year. I got off it once I realized I was using like 400mb of data a month and it was way more expensive than a capped plan.

I go over my 5GB/month all the time, mostly because I make frivolous use of the full speed data until I get rate limited after 5GB. It's still unlimited. I can still do anything except download files/tether my laptop to my phone at any reasonable speed.

One day I'll learn not to allow the laptop to download, say, Windows 10 while tethered. This month wasn't that month. Let's see if I learn my lesson next billing cycle.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Bah, mid 2010 model. Got apple logo on boot then just spins and then turns into NO (Circle crossed out). Not sure what that means, new to me. Ordered a replacement HD kit with data doubler to replace the current HD and CD drive.
Guessing the HD is dead, wont know till I can get the kit to pull out the screen. Could try with other tools but will wait. Kit has the replacement temp sensor so all should be good.

Most likely a hard drive issue. You -may- be able to boot into Internet Recovery (started with OS X Lion, cant remember if it's something that can be added with later updates).

Try booting while holding Command + Option + R and see if you get a spinning globe with a progress bar.

If you do, try going into Disk Utility (one of the options on the screen that will eventually load), and see if you can repair the disk. You can also try reinstalling OS X from that main menu (won't erase anything if you are worried).

If you are trying to preserve the data, you can try to clone the internal HDD with the external using Disk Utility.

Store won't replace anything for free at this point (and replacing the HDD shouldnt be too hard on that model), but if nothing else they will reinstall OS X for free (and it will be faster than downloading it yourself, they keep local copies of every version of OS X from 10.6 on)

Regarding the event yesterday...kinda disappointed (but not super surprised) at nothing announced on the Mac hardware side. iPhone 7 looks neat, but I don't know if I'm going to upgrade this year, or wait for the 10th anniversary one next year. Same thing with my Watch. watchOS 3 is a huge upgrade for my current one, and I don't feel a burning need to run out and replace it.

Glad we're bringing back black as a color option, never liked space grey.

On leave right now, but I've heard everyone is stressed on the Applecare side of things :(

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Thanks, ya buddy was suggesting doing the Target Disk Mode to one of my other computers for testing. The HD has some data I know family would like back if possible. Will see, buddy was saying the Apple logo to circle crossed out would be HD. The others are sad MAC logo for battery and board problems.
Ya I have the OWC kit coming with HD replacement cable set and CD drive data doubler. I pulled the trigger hoping the board was ok. Figured I would drop in a SSD and plater for it. Might up the Ram, not sure.

Only thing I dont like is the cream burn in screen, buddy was saying there was a replacement plan for that from apple but that may have ended by now. Something about this in 2009-2011 with possible heating issues for those systems. He suggested looking into a replacement but might be $150-$300. I am not worry about that, good chance I wont be using this thing much. It will possibly end up at a music and media kiosk.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
vAek4ot.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
So got the stuff in. Kit to open and doubler. Got new SSD and old 3t for it. All together, when they say dont touch the screen, they werent joking! Seem there was some grease on the bottom of the screen on the backside. I picked it up with my micro cloth not knowing and laid that on the screen thinking I was protecting it.
Hour later getting the screen clean....sigh.
Anyways, still waiting to get an OS installed. Seems the USB with El Crapitan is corrupt and cant seem to get the network install for it going. Sitting here DL this thing again. Think this is the 4th time I have had to do this. Think I will just use the old OS and upgrade. Seems I cant catch a break with El Crapitan!

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
So got the stuff in. Kit to open and doubler. Got new SSD and old 3t for it. All together, when they say dont touch the screen, they werent joking! Seem there was some grease on the bottom of the screen on the backside. I picked it up with my micro cloth not knowing and laid that on the screen thinking I was protecting it.
Hour later getting the screen clean....sigh.
Anyways, still waiting to get an OS installed. Seems the USB with El Crapitan is corrupt and cant seem to get the network install for it going. Sitting here DL this thing again. Think this is the 4th time I have had to do this. Think I will just use the old OS and upgrade. Seems I cant catch a break with El Crapitan!

I have never had luck installing via USB. Internet Recovery is really amazing.

Once you get up to 10.6.8, you should be able to go directly to El Capi (if memory serves).

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Thanks Ignatius Ignatius , Ya I got the boot folder with ? in it. Looked it up, reading the meaning with solution at the same time I just remembered the network command + R option. sigh, DUH *slaps head
Ya, USB seems to never work consistently for me either it seems.

But its up and working, will be digging into the old drive to see what its problem was. Not sure if I will use this iMac as a replacement update for my mini or now. Think i might use it as a kiosk gaming this for limits steam stuff.

kudos

<Banned>
Work just gave me a 13inch 3.1GHz i7 16GB macbook pro with a 1TB SDD. Shit is blazin' and thin as fuck.