Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Walking lunges with a single overhead dumbbell are good for your core and specifically lower back.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
It's a fine exercise, but it's limited in the amount of progressive overload it can give you. Just like anything else bodyweight, once your body adapts to doing it, there's really no progression to be made.

Well I do compound lifts 3 times a week and ab wheel like a boss every other day. I just roll longer and do fancier shit once it all gets too easy. Pretty sure I am the plank master at this point.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
you know any good home exercises to hit that top half of the abs then righht now im not close to a gym, so all my ab shit is just what i can do with myself.

my cousin does have one of those gay ab roller things for the floor but that shit looks dumb

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
bros i need bulk protein has anyone bought anything over 8pounds recently?

i also need bulk creatine, google is shit hopefully someones been shopping recently, im not trying to buy the most expensive shit.

Oh anyone with results wanna recommend an ab routine, i never focused on em hard, im super skinny to begin with

I get protein from MyProtein.

Myprotein US

They even have a deal going on whey right now 2x 5.5 lbs for $55. Not sure how that compares, but they always have sales going on, always.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I had to drag myself into the gym today, and then ended up having an awesome workout. I benched 365x4 and 405x1, and then inclined 275x8 and 315x4, and did donkey calf raises with the stack. All I did was loop this song over and over again while I worked out. Usually, once I have my pre-workout drink, I get fired up.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Sweeteners have always given me headaches for whatever reason. Are there protein powders that just use a bit of regular sugar or are plain ole no flavor?

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
ON doesn't use much sugar (2ish g per scoop). Can try one of the smaller sizes of that to see what it does for you. Maybe GNC or a similar store have single serve packets they dont mind giving away.

I would think flavorless would be gross though.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Sweeteners have always given me headaches for whatever reason. Are there protein powders that just use a bit of regular sugar or are plain ole no flavor?

Back to MyProtein again just because that is all I am familiar with.

Impact Whey Protein

They have Stevia (if natural is handled better) or just 'Unflavored' protein.

Vanilla Stevia Flavor: Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk) (96%), Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin), Natural Flavoring, Sweetener (Steviol Glycosides)
Unflavored: Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk) (100%), Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin)

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Alright bros, I need someone to broscience the shit out of me.

I have been busting my ass lifting and losing weight since May. I've lost a metric fuckton of weight without doing much cardio, but I started couch to 5k and now I feel like I'm addicted to running. I ran almost 11 miles last week, and I ran my longest run ever today of 3.7 miles. I had heard of runner's high before, but now I really know what people mean. I go out and bust my ass for an hour then I come home and shower and suddenly I feel like I need to go run through a brick wall.

Anyway, the problem here is that my lifts/strength are suffering. I've been doing the same 5x5 routine the entire time just hoping to maintain my muscle mass while losing. This used to be strenuous but not even remotely in question. Now it's like I'm maxing out in the third set. Completing all 5 is sometimes impossible to do without a break.

So, I don't want to stop running. I enjoy it. But I also don't want to be lifting and not accomplishing anything strength wise. But I also don't want to up my calories because this is really all about losing the weight. Someone give me a magic pill/supplement/diet change I can make to make all this shit work.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
There's not really much advice I can give you. Decide if you want to gain strength, or lose weight. The only time you can do both is when you can take advantage of your "noob gains" the first 6 or so months (or if you're obese, although I'm not sure how long that's possible to gain strength).

Unfortunately, to gain muscle, you have to have a surplus. It's just how physics work and you can't cheat it.

The "magic supplement" is steroids.

About the only thing I can give you is to make sure you're running after your lifting sessions. If you're running in the morning and lifting afterwards, you're already going to be depleted.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
This came up in the weightloss thread, actually. I think myself and a few others mentioned to Gilg that he should be incrementally increasing his weight, not just curling 25s (or whatever it was. I'm too lazy to go reference the post) or benching 100lbs for a dozen reps. I think all the advice-giving folk were of a mind that you were doing cardio with weights and not lifting, and it still stands to reason that is the reality.

There's no reason to up your calories, but don't run before you lift. If your run suffers, that means nothing because for that to happen calories need to be expended and you aren't developing MASSIVE QUADS BRO while running 11 miles a week. Lift, and then run. If you enjoy running, you won't feel bad about not making your mile marks for the week after you lift. But you'll maintain your weightloss trajectory (and incrementally improve it; if I remember right you were lifting the same weights for months in the same range. That's not how you build muscle nor how you get the admittedly small gains in metabolic rate from having muscle) without having to play with your intake. You're still a massive dude, lift then run (and have days where you don't lift in between) on the days you lift, and make sure you are ratcheting those weights up as appropriate.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
This came up in the weightloss thread, actually. I think myself and a few others mentioned to Gilg that he should be incrementally increasing his weight, not just curling 25s (or whatever it was. I'm too lazy to go reference the post) or benching 100lbs for a dozen reps. I think all the advice-giving folk were of a mind that you were doing cardio with weights and not lifting, and it still stands to reason that is the reality.

Oh god, was Gravel replying to Gilgamesh?

Let me guess, he's still eating like an anorexic 8 year old girl, exercising 7 times a week and has now decided that as well as losing weight he wants to have his low calorie cake and eat it - get bigger and stronger?

Fuck that guy, really

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
You're still on ignore but as you're now fagging up the weight lifting thread as you did the weight loss thread then you need to get told.

By someone else, I wasted enough time trying to help you.

Guys, gilgamesh doesn't listen, he eats like a bitch and trains like one. Only cares about the scale number and starves himself accordingly.

I might actually go back to the weight loss thread and quote myself saying that my advice isn't just about losing weight but body composition = losing body fat whilst preserving muscle.

Funny how months later your goals are now the same as what I was trying to get through to your fat head.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The less fat you have, the harder it is to lose it while maintaining muscle/strength. Unfortunately, It really does come down to just eating more or running less. That's why pro bodybuilders take a massive amount of steroids just to maintain their size while they get ripped before a competition.

While you're not as big and not trying to get to the same bodyfat % as them, the same principle exists

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
This came up in the weightloss thread, actually. I think myself and a few others mentioned to Gilg that he should be incrementally increasing his weight, not just curling 25s (or whatever it was. I'm too lazy to go reference the post) or benching 100lbs for a dozen reps.

Multiple people, including myself, tried to help him. Only for him to go "NO I'M NOT GOING TO EAT MORE THAN 25% OF MY DAILY CALORIFIC REQUIREMENTS!!!!"

He went on ignore after ignoring pages and pages of advice from me, now here he is attention whoring again

Alright bros, I need someone to broscience the shit out of me.

So, I don't want to stop running. I enjoy it. But I also don't want to be lifting and not accomplishing anything strength wise. But I also don't want to up my calories because this is really all about losing the weight. Someone give me a magic pill/supplement/diet change I can make to make all this shit work.

holy fucking shit, thank god I put you on ignore.

To clarify::

you want to continue running (catabolic - doesn't aid muscle growth)
want to gain strength (whilst eating at an extreme calorie deficit - possible but not to a great extent)
lose weight

HOLY FUCKING SHIT BRO, IF ONLY SOMEONE TOOK THE TIME OUT OF THEIR DAY TO WRITE YOU UP A PROGRAM THAT WOULD ENABLE YOU TO MAXIMISE YOUR "NOOB GAINS" AND LOSE FAT WHILST GAINING MUSCLE AND STRENGTH

IF ONLY SOMEONE SPECIFICALLY ADVISED YOU TO FOCUS ON "BODY COMPOSITION" (FAT LOSS AND MUSCLE GAIN) INSTEAD OF JUST WORRYING ABOUT THE NUMBER ON THE SCALE

Why even post about your slow progress if you're just gonna reply to my advice with "well I like what I'm doing.

When I have said multiple times "you work out too much", did I ever say anything about work related activity. I have a desk job, I weigh less than you which means my TDEE is lower, I work out 4 x 60minutes a week and I lose weight on 2200 calories

I tell everyone in this thread to start doing HIIT for 15-20minutes. I have posted videos of beginner HIIT workouts and told people how to do it on treadmills or other cardio machines.

Short burts of higher activity are better than 60minutes boring ass cardio.

You need rest days. I shouldn't need to explain why.

Why aren't you increasing the weights?

Why aren't you increasing the number of reps?

A beginner to weightlifting can burn muscle and lose fat simultaneously (the holy grail of body composition). - if they eat and train properly. 4 good workouts a week with HIIT would yield infinitely greater results than this routine x 7 days.

Here's a GVT + HIIT routine for you to do 4 days a week.

Day 1:

10 x 10 Bench Press, start at 120lbs, 90s rest inbetween sets. If you get 10x10 increase weight next session
10 minutes HIIT - treadmill, exercise bike - any machine were you can go as fast as possible for 20-30s, rest 60-90s and repeat x 10. As you get fitter increase the speed,resistance and reduce rest - or just search body coach workout on youtube and do one of them
10 x 10 dumbell rows or any other back exercise, same rest duration
10 minutes HIIT

Day 2: rest

Day 3:
10 x 10 db curls
hiit
10 x 10 dumbbell triceps extension or any other tricep exercise - I don't know what equipment you have or whether you go to a gym so I'm choosing exercises based on your above post
hiit

day 4: rest

Day 5:
10x10 barbell squats - start with the empty bar if you have to, or do dumbbell squats, no more of this pussy ass body weight squat bullshit
hiit (probably won't be able to go near a treadmill or bike after the squats)
10x10 db lunges
hiit

Day 6: rest

Day 7:
10x10 db shoulder press
hiit
10x10 db lateral raises
hiit

The combination of HIIT and GVT is incredible for losing fat, and as you're a beginner you will build muscle even eating at a deficit. I guarantee a week of this program will be far more taxing and rewarding than your current program.

Unlikely you won't be able to fuel this activity on 1500 calories and keto.

Happy to write out some diet advice but I think the odds of you giving this a go are 95% against, but because I'm a nice guy who wants to help people I wrote out the program anyway.

If you want the diet advice and can commit to 2 weeks of this then I will write it out. Suffice to say I would increase your calorie intake and introduce carbs post workout - so you get to eat more, eat carbs, build muscle and lose fat.

or we can await your next post of "hey guys the body weight squats and the keto diet stil aren't working", then I can put you on block for wasting everyones time.

That post was on the 28th August.

You could have had two months of SOLID progress by now, but instead you wanted to continue your bitch methods. And as I promised, I put you on block.

Funny how two months later you've migrated to a different thread yet the answers remain the same.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Oh fuck off you pretentious cunt.TWO MONTHS OF SOLID PROGRESS I could have had. You mean like the 23 lbs I've lost since September 1st?? Or the massively increased stamina I've gained from running every other day and actually pushing myself cardiovascularly? I've been abundantly clear about my intentions: lose the weight as quickly as possible. Once I get back closer to a normal body weight, I can cut back on everything but the lifting and eat more calories. But I'm not waiting twice as long to get to a weight I consider acceptable in the name of building a little muscle right now. You've said yourself once the newbie gains stop it will be practically impossible to build muscle while losing. So why does it matter? When I'm 220 I can spent two years bulking up to 250 the right way. I'd rather be 250 in 6 months and be skinny fat than be 250 in 18 and have a little more muscle. This is not difficult to comprehend. I eat 15-1800 calories a day through the week, 1900-2200 on the weekend, and i I want to splurge I can splurge.
This guy lost 140 lbs in a year. Think he'd be happier with slightly more muscle and being 250?
This guy lost 110 in 8 months. Think he wishes he was 40 lbs heavier with a little more muscle?

No, they fucking don't. Because when you are fucking fat all you care about is getting to the point where when a person meets you the first thing they think isn't "what a fat fuck". So if I had lost 50 lbs the "right way" would I be happier than losing the75 I have since May? FUCK NO. For someone who claims to be an expert in this field you don't fucking understand the psychology of your clients AT ALL. Maybe the people you want to train have four years to get to where they want to go, but I have shit to do, and the idea of me getting to 220 and then somehow forgetting the complete and utter fucking lifestyle change I've made in the last year and gaining it all back is preposterous. So fuck your moderation and pacing myself, I'm going to burn it to the fucking ground.

Besides, this is not a hard cutoff. I could decide at 290 I want to focus on building muscle, or 270. All I know right now is the weight loss is the priority. If I want to train for a 5k before the new year I'm going to. I do not give a fuck about my max lifts if it means compromising on the rate I lose. Whatever I enjoy that keeps me engaged and keeps the scale going down. I care about feeling good and not looking like a fatass. Right now I feel fucking great and I can wear 2xlt shirts for the first time in about a decade. So if you have anything constructive to add(like rezz with the lift before running suggestion, or any number of other people whose advice I've taken in other areas since I started) feel free to add it, otherwise shut the fuck up. It's not that you don't have good ideas(I'm doing HIIT when I run now, short 1m-90 second laps where I go hard, then jogging or walking), it's that your attitude sucks dick. I don't give a fuck about looking like an Adonis in four years, I care about being happy and healthy in one. If that concept is something you are too fucking dense to grasp then consider your input unnecessary.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users