Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You must be doing something terribly wrong. Even going to failure, you should at least be able to control the negative.

Otherwise, you're a danger to yourself and anyone around you if you're regularly letting dumbbells free-fall and bounce around
Excellent strawman with the freefall and bouncing around bullshit. Stupid but excellent.

Dumbbells get dropped. The adjustable ones can get damaged when dropped, the regular ones do not. That is the drawback as requested.

The end.

• 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Excellent strawman with the freefall and bouncing around bullshit. Stupid but excellent.

Dumbbells get dropped. The adjustable ones can get damaged when dropped, the regular ones do not. That is the drawback as requested.

The end.

So if you have no idea what you're doing, then that's a big deal. I guess we're in agreement

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Look at this weaksauce shit. Bro, I lift until I literally pass out, and then when i come to I hit my next set until unconsciousness again. Anything less and you're just not lifting with enough intensity.

Look at this soyboy.

If you don't have an AED attached to shock you back to life between reps, then why the fuck are you even there?

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Look at this soyboy.

If you don't have an AED attached to shock you back to life between reps, then why the fuck are you even there?
If you’re really serious you have a shaman summon a demon to possess you during your set, schedule a priest to come exorcize it when the set is done.
Amateur hour up in here.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Ive had the ironmaster adjustable dumbells for like a decade and enjoy them. I’m not some bro-tard juicer wannabe that needs to drop his shit tho

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

The end.

Can you stop saying dumb shit then hiding behind fictional straw men

escrima

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ive had the ironmaster adjustable dumbells for like a decade and enjoy them. I’m not some bro-tard juicer wannabe that needs to drop his shit tho
If you're dropping 75s, which is what I believe the Ironmasters go up to, you are lame and gay. If you're dropping 130s because you went to failure, that's par for the course.

fris

Vyemm Raider
Speaking of dumbbells, getting stronger is very cost prohibitive. I can sometimes find cheap ones on marketplace. Any tips for rust? Is thinking of whatever they spray to line the bed of trucks

20231222_170617.jpg

• 1Like

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Speaking of dumbbells, getting stronger is very cost prohibitive. I can sometimes find cheap ones on marketplace. Any tips for rust? Is thinking of whatever they spray to line the bed of trucks

View attachment 505402

I would just wipe them with a light coat of mineral oil once a month or so. You can wipe that mostly dry afterwards and the oil should provide a barrier to any oxidation.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
There's obviously a ton of material available discussing what supplements can help you gain muscle. I'm largely of the opinion that most of these are really helpful if you don't have a balanced diet (so maybe helpful while cutting on a deep calorie restriction for example). Anabolic steroids are obviously an exception and creatine looks to have plenty of evidence that they it does provide a significant enhancement to muscle output during high effort anaerobic work, which mechanistically would lend itself to enhanced stimulus and more growth potential.

There are also things you can take that will inhibit muscle growth. Metformin, for example, inhibits the mTORC1 signaling pathway which limits protein synthesis and anabolism while promoting catabolism (this is also why it appears to have general anti-cancer benefits as well). NSAIDs, aspirin, NAC, and ice baths within a day or so of a workout reduce local inflammation, which is an integral part of the growth stimulus so by their action inhibit growth.

The queestion is, with all of the emphasis on what to take to grow is there a list anywhere of what supplements to avoid if you are trying to put on muscle?

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
There's obviously a ton of material available discussing what supplements can help you gain muscle. I'm largely of the opinion that most of these are really helpful if you don't have a balanced diet (so maybe helpful while cutting on a deep calorie restriction for example). Anabolic steroids are obviously an exception and creatine looks to have plenty of evidence that they it does provide a significant enhancement to muscle output during high effort anaerobic work, which mechanistically would lend itself to enhanced stimulus and more growth potential.

There are also things you can take that will inhibit muscle growth. Metformin, for example, inhibits the mTORC1 signaling pathway which limits protein synthesis and anabolism while promoting catabolism (this is also why it appears to have general anti-cancer benefits as well). NSAIDs, aspirin, NAC, and ice baths within a day or so of a workout reduce local inflammation, which is an integral part of the growth stimulus so by their action inhibit growth.

The queestion is, with all of the emphasis on what to take to grow is there a list anywhere of what supplements to avoid if you are trying to put on muscle?
You’ll have to look a bit through the chapter list to find exactly what you’re looking for but this series was a great listen

• 1Like

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I have free weights and a Bowflex Revolution at home and the guys at work always say, “I can’t get motivated to workout at the house.” I’m like fuck the bullshit at the gym.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Yeah I have free weights and a Bowflex Revolution at home and the guys at work always say, “I can’t get motivated to workout at the house.” I’m like fuck the bullshit at the gym.
1708730216812.png

Ya I just got this today. Gonna wear it on walks and when I do cailsthenics. You don't really need much to workout outside of the gym. I ride my bike to the park and just do pullups and stuff on the playground equipment as there is very rarely anyone even there. At home I've got dip bars and some free weights, a kettle bell and a bench. Cost me like maybe 400-500$ total for everything and this stuff will all last a life time.

• 1Worf

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I got lucky on the Revolution - guy had it on Craigslist for $800 - it had the extra discs and all attachments, he’d bought it and then went through a divorce and had moved it into his grandmothers house where it sat unused. Picked up the bench and Olympic weight from former boss who was cleaning out his garage. I could have made bank selling it all during Covid, but glad to have it now.