Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, Cantrips are basically the answer to literally -any- non-caster getting multiple attacks and shit before level 10. It was actually one of the things I liked the most about 4th Edition; it gave you reusable, 1 per encounter, and 1 per day abilities. Trimmed the hell out of the casters repertoire but it let them do things consistently, instead of being a lvl 1 wizard with a 3x5 with "Magic Missile" written on each side. Use once, flip, use again, out of being even moderately useful until long rest.

5th does a much better job with balancing it out. While the resting can be kind of a pain, it really makes you want to meter out those abilities. Though I can see that mentality quickly becoming the "any item with an effect" feel in JRPGs. You know, the games where you get random shit and never use it because you never know when you... should use it.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
4th edition was created specifically to be more crpg-friendly and then failed to actually create any licensed games that made use of this. Neverwinter was nominally based on the 4th edition, but even that was heavily modified.

4th edition gets a bum rap. I always thought it was the most inventive version from a game design perspective and it certainly was better for inexperienced GMs who lack creativity. Far too many 5th edition games quickly become very stale compared to the more dynamic maneuvering and varied martial abilities in 4th.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
God damn fags. Updating this thread you're making my dick hard then disappointing it.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
4th edition was created specifically to be more crpg-friendly and then failed to actually create any licensed games that made use of this. Neverwinter was nominally based on the 4th edition, but even that was heavily modified.

4th edition gets a bum rap. I always thought it was the most inventive version from a game design perspective and it certainly was better for inexperienced GMs who lack creativity. Far too many 5th edition games quickly become very stale compared to the more dynamic maneuvering and varied martial abilities in 4th.
Agreed. 4th got shit on because people weren't creative enough and thought the "removal" of skills meant they couldn't ever lockpick again. 4th was the first game to really put the focus on gameplay aspects. I was extremely bummed when they never really got any games based on it off the ground, because the system as a whole was almost perfect for it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
New information coming out tomorrow. Hoping it's some good stuff.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
It's a 40 sec sizzle reel. A trailer announcement for an announcement. Pretty underwhelming imo but they tweeted later today more information will be coming out on next Saturday at the Guerilla Collective.

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It's a 40 sec sizzle reel. A trailer announcement for an announcement. Pretty underwhelming imo but they tweeted later today more information will be coming out on next Saturday at the Guerilla Collective.

I hope it's good. As long as Larian doesn't do most of the writing, I think it'll be great. I still kinda wish Owlcat had gotten the license instead, but I'll take it..

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I still kinda wish Owlcat had gotten the license instead
Owlcat seems to have a long term deal with Paizo for Pathfinder. Making two games at the same time with similar ancesty but very different DNA may be too big for them, and there is only so much talent to go around.
Even Larian may have a problem ramping up production to two full scale RPGs at the same time. Those things just can't be made on an assembly line in a yearly cycle like EA sports games.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Owlcat seems to have a long term deal with Paizo for Pathfinder. Making two games at the same time with similar ancesty but very different DNA may be too big for them, and there is only so much talent to go around.
Even Larian may have a problem ramping up production to two full scale RPGs at the same time. Those things just can't be made on an assembly line in a yearly cycle like EA sports games.

Right. I wish they had done BG:3 instead of Pathfinder: 2 is what I'm saying. D:OS 2 was great, but Larian still has terrible writing and I'm uncertain that their "style" of CRPG is well-suited for BG. Pathfinder reminded me a lot more of the CRPGs of old(Icewind Dale, Planescape, NWN, BG 1+2, etc.), both in writing and gameplay.

• 2Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Right. I wish they had done BG:3 instead of Pathfinder: 2 is what I'm saying. D:OS 2 was great, but Larian still has terrible writing and I'm uncertain that their "style" of CRPG is well-suited for BG. Pathfinder reminded me a lot more of the CRPGs of old(Icewind Dale, Planescape, NWN, BG 1+2, etc.), both in writing and gameplay.
True but I'm sure WoTC has some if not alot of input into creating the game including the storyline. I can't imagine WoTC is giving Larian total freedom in creating BG3. DoS:2 was 100% their game so I have no clue who wrote the story on their team. There is probably a team of WoTC and Larian writers putting the story together. If the story does suck (man I hope not) we can't blame it 100% on Larian.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Pathfinder reminded me a lot more of the CRPGs of old(Icewind Dale, Planescape, NWN, BG 1+2, etc.), both in writing and gameplay.
Maybe because Chris Avellone was "Narrative Designer" on Pathfinder: Kingmaker (and the upcoming Wrath of the Rightous). If you look at his history he was designer/writer on a lot of those titles, with lead designer/lead writer on Planescape: Torment. Irony is that he did "additional narrative design" on D:OS2.

At this point in time I have more faith in PF:WotR than BG:3 after the BG:2 Enhanced Edition.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Lol for real. D:OS2 has great like... set pieces? Very interesting individual encounters/short stories and stuff. But the overall cohesive story sucks... bad.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Lol for real. D:OS2 has great like... set pieces? Very interesting individual encounters/short stories and stuff. But the overall cohesive story sucks... bad.

It's the same thing that plagued D: OS1 and kept it from being great. By the time you're dealing with the dueling nymphs or whatever the fuck it was in the "ice" area, I checked the fuck out and couldn't be bothered to finish. The thing that Larian does do supremely well is gameplay. I'm just not certain that gameplay will "fit" FR - stylistically. Hopefully they'll be faithful to 5th edition and my expectations will be smashed, but I'm being very cautious about BG3.

The fact that Chris is associated with Owlcat(I had no idea), even furthers my wish they had gotten access to Forgotten Realms' IP. Pathfinder is great and I backed WotR, but I have significantly less emotional ties to Pathfinder lore than I do Forgotten Realms/WotC.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I read an article once that Hasbro who owns WoTC will get back into the video game industry therefore they plan on releasing alot of D&D games.

Im wondering if Larian will do a BG4? The level cap is 10 and we still have an additional 10 more levels. I guess that depends how well BG3 does. Speaking of which I hope they will have a robust DM mode and allow modding. Imagine the possibilities running campaign like the PnP version. I'm not saying it will be exact but could close if done correctly.

Burns

Ever since Chris Avallone (MCA) left the bullshit at Obsidian, he has worked as free lancer. Most everything has just been writing gigs (in control of a single narrative), but the two Pathfinder games look to be the most involved he has been in anything in a long time, including some of the Obsidian stuff.

In D:OS2 his job of Additional Narrative Design was mostly just as the lead writer for Fane, and Fane's interactions with the rest of the story. I don't think he wanted much say in the main narrative. The impression from interviews at the time were, that he wanted to jump around, doing smallish projects (parts of stories, not the whole thing).

Last edited:

Rime

<Donor>
The only issue with D:OS1/2 is Braccus Rex. He is a cool character idea, but he shows up way too much... I get tired of killing the same dude again and again and again.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
The only issue with D:OS1/2 is Braccus Rex. He is a cool character idea, but he shows up way too much... I get tired of killing the same dude again and again and again.

Completely agree and I say that as somebody who loved those games. Was annoying af

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity