Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Have they ever mentioned how much content it will have compared to Dos2?

I don't remember seeing anything on that yet, and a bit surprised it wasn't asked in the AMA after the previous press event (or maybe it was, and I missed it), last winter.

Sven said in this stream, while sneaking through the end of the goblin camp, something to the effect of, 'this is showing a hidden entrance and it is a bit of a spoiler, but the game is huge, so it shouldn't be a big deal.'

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Gamespot got a short word in with Sven, and asked about the size of the early access. The first act, at least, will be larger than D:OS act 1:

"Baldur's Gate III is launching in early access in August (hopefully), and developer Larian Studios has spoken before about how it will include most of the game's first act. This act, however, will be larger than the equivalent early access launch for Divinity: Original Sin 2, according to creative director Swen Vincke.​
Speaking to GameSpot as part of Play For All, Vincke said he didn't have an exact number to share, but that players can expect to "be busy" when it launches. "That's early access--the actual complete game is going to be much bigger than that," Vincke continued. You can watch the full interview below.​
Vincke also explained that the first act will have a lot of what Larian Studios hopes to have locked for the game's eventual release, but that some content that you'll be able to play could still be cut as development continues. You'll be restricted to a certain level cap during early access, but Vincke says the exact number is still being decided on.​
After early access, Vincke says he and his team are ready to react to player feedback, making changes that make sense while introducing more mechanics and features. We'll release more classes, we'll release probably extra origin stories, separate regions," Vincke continued. "You'll see more and more features come online, more mechanics, the user-interface will be going through changes. Pretty much everything you expect from early access will be happening with this game."​
Baldur's Gate III is hopefully launching in early access on PC in August, and is currently also scheduled to launch on Google Stadia. Console versions are not currently in development, according to Larian Studios."​

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I know this is early, but...
I enjoy the DOS games. Both the first and the sequel. The sequel was a massive upgrade compared to the first. If you played the first DOS, you immediately recognized the style, UI and general tone of the look of the game in DOS2, but everything was bigger, better and slightly more complex. It was a true sequel. Not half assed. A+ product.

So, if you removed the BG3 name and they showed the video above as a showcase of their next game in the DOS series, would anyone here question it? It would fit the mould above perfectly. Doing the same for 2 to 3 as they did 1 to 2.

It is early. And I am sure that they reused the assets to be able to build the game faster. And it is certainly something that can change later, but nothing in that aspect appears to have changed since they did the last showcase. Not talking about the combat. I love the turn based aspect, and can completely see that working in a BG setting. It's just the overall look of it. I know people raised that issue in the last showcase, but it appears to have gotten worse, not better. Item icons, static items in the background, fauna, blood, UI elements, text. Pausing the video and clicking on various times, every still frame that doesn't directly focus on a character looks like it could be from DOS.

I want to play it. I will buy EA to test it. Nothing above is "bad". I looks great. But there is so much of DOS there that it is hard to see the BG parts. I just hope by the end the manage to make it look less like DOS and not just have the BG parts in the lore and depth of the ruleset running in the background.

Will probably be a fantastic game for me though if my only complaint so far is that it looks too much like a game series I really like.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know this is early, but...Stuff

This is my biggest fear.

I mentioned it here, months ago because the initial gameplay reveal looked like a D:OS with a D&D mod. I hated it because I want a totally separate sense of style and art direction. I LOVE Divinity, but the game has a bit of 'campy-ness' that doesn't mesh well with the gritty BG series. I'd prefer that the two IPs are kept entirely autonomous so that fans can enjoy each for what they are.

Fortunately, the gameplay today looks like they're making progress in differentiating the two. I also expect to see sweeping changes after Act I gets wrecked by hardcore fans in the early access.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I don’t know why but I have 0 Interest in anything early access would much rather wait till full release. EA is basically alpha/ beta but On steam.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I don’t know why but I have 0 Interest in anything early access would much rather wait till full release. EA is basically alpha/ beta but On steam.

Same. I always wait till a full release and let the word get out.

• 1Solidarity

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I’ve only played a handful of games in early access, and they are all roguelike or algorithmically generated repeatable gameplay. Games like this, even though it’s 99% likely that I will buy and play on day one, I never play early access.

Rime

<Donor>
The only Early Access game I picked up was the worst one and the one that caused the death of the whole Steam greenlight thing. TOWNS. Such potential, all wasted. Never again!

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
This has to be the best interpretation of D&D rules to date. The game looks incredible.

I'd love to see multiplayer options with custom content like old school Neverwinter Nights.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
For huge story driven RPGs i totally agree. I only want to go through this stuff once when it's ready and maybe a second time in a few years when they release a bunch of stuff for it. Or mods.

• 3Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 3 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
props to the devs for understanding that the dialogue in the past tense was mega gay and changing it. I works for tabletop but not in game

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The only Early Access game I picked up was the worst one and the one that caused the death of the whole Steam greenlight thing. TOWNS. Such potential, all wasted. Never again!
It's okay. One of my teacher said "it's okay to smash into a lamppost, if that's what you need to learn about those. It's only if you keep smashing into them..."

• 1Worf

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
For huge story driven RPGs i totally agree. I only want to go through this stuff once when it's ready and maybe a second time in a few years when they release a bunch of stuff for it. Or mods.

I don't disagree with that, I rarely do runs of large RPGs more than once (if I really like them, it's at least a year++). That said, in DOS2, I did the first act several times doing things I would never do in a full run. Like try evil options (which I rarely ever do in RPGs, barring KOTOR2). So when I did my regular run of DOS2 at release, I didn't really mind doing Act 1 again at all. My guess is that BG3 will offer quite a bit more options as to how to do act 1 as well compared to DOS2.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Watching this gameplay summary. I am a bit skeptical of the Camp setup they have going on. I never liked that eve in Throne of Bhaal.

• 1Dislike

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The Steam store lists Co-op.

swen mentioned co-op in an interview he did after the d&d live gameplay. he didn't go super in-depth on it, but he did confirm it'll be in

• 1Like