Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Goonsquad Officer
The trick is, don't play forgotten realms! No drow, no issue! What you really want is dark sun, where the elves are supreme sand joggers

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
So what’s the consensus is this league better than crucible? Was sanctum implementation done well?

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The trick is, don't play forgotten realms! No drow, no issue! What you really want is dark sun, where the elves are supreme sand joggers

When Dark Sun first came out I pictured the elves as being a population of the most annoying 'running club' / cross-country surfer bros. They were pretty detestable

• 1Worf

Goonsquad Officer
When Dark Sun first came out I pictured the elves as being a population of the most annoying 'running club' / cross-country surfer bros. They were pretty detestable
They are meant to be theiving jerks who steal ad a lifestyle then run. So pefrct

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
So, you are trying to figure out how a bunch of women, that are given powers by their ebil spider loving god, can dominate men who don't receive said powers or, if they are born with talents, are killed as children unless they somehow demonstrate their subservience?
So canonically I am being suppressed magically, and my stats would reflect that if they were lore based?

So here I was walking around making everyone scared of me with all the Drow dialogue, but really I'm just the Cuck of the Underdark?

Sigh, if if I recruit the Dark Elf she's going to walk all over me isn't she?

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
For my Tactician play-through I rerolled Laezel as a Paladin and it really works well with her whole 'holier than thou' attitude. I tried making Gale a Sorcerer, but it turns out that Wizards are just plain better than Sorcerers when you can swap out spells at any time out-of-combat. Well that and Evocation Wizard in particular has the most effective sort of 'anti friendly fire' metamagic built in.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So canonically I am being suppressed magically, and my stats would reflect that if they were lore based?

So here I was walking around making everyone scared of me with all the Drow dialogue, but really I'm just the Cuck of the Underdark?

Sigh, if if I recruit the Dark Elf she's going to walk all over me isn't she?
If you are a Loth male drow, then you would have been squid-napped from your second class citizen life, however that happened. Male Loth drow were still slavers and were of a much higher station to actual slaves of other races; a.k.a. they would have been considered "masters." They are just second to the chosen of Loth, who happen to be women. Think of the society as a caste system, like India. With chosen of Loth at the top, then noble women, then spiders, then noble men, then regular women, then regular men, then pets, then slaves.

Second, there would be no need to suppress their stats. If any males (or females not chosen by Loth) were to rise up, they would get cleric/wizard spells to the face. No one can stand up to high level clerics and wizards, outside of powerful creatures like dragons, demons, Illithid, etc.

The vast majority of people in DnD are supposed to be level 1, I believe. So even a level 5 to 10 spell caster is going to destroy the regular tradesmen and city folk.

Also, the previous 3.5e games with dark elf areas has them as a very backstabby society, where the nobles are all trying to take power from each other and the males play into it, just as much as the women.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
>The vast majority of people in DnD are supposed to be level 1, I believe. So even a level 5 to 10 spell caster is going to destroy the regular tradesmen and city folk.

Leveling is like, just getting better at something, if I do something enough times then I've leveled right, so if you subjugate something from birth, and cull the feral, you'll breed complacent less willful more dependent creatures, that could theoretically level up in whatever pursuit you've breed them to be reliably good at.

That's animal husbandry, if you intentionally subjugate over generations you get your work horses and your beasts of burden, but not self sufficiency.

If you don't, you'll have large break away casts, which apparently do exist, but apparently not in this game (Edit: Other then what sounds like good guy Dark Elves).

it's just a simple thing there can't be two equals, while one isn't equal - something has leverage over the other.

D&D Dark Elves just seem like some guys domination fantasy without recognizing the long term consequences.

Last edited:

Goonsquad Officer
toward the end of act 3

Good lord raphael is a brick house. dude has 666 hitpoints, and wild ass buffs. jesus. maybe dealing with him would have been simpler.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For my Tactician play-through I rerolled Laezel as a Paladin and it really works well with her whole 'holier than thou' attitude. I tried making Gale a Sorcerer, but it turns out that Wizards are just plain better than Sorcerers when you can swap out spells at any time out-of-combat. Well that and Evocation Wizard in particular has the most effective sort of 'anti friendly fire' metamagic built in.
Sorcerers (Storm + Tempest Cleric or Draconic + Warlock) are gods though. So good that I run Shadowheart as the cleric version and Wyll as the warlock version. Wizard is just meh by comparison. It all comes down to the main stat; cha is extremely versatile while int has basically nothing going for it.

Plus you can always take a level of wizard if you want and get slots for rituals and other random crap that doesn't actually need high int to be effective.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
i don't know... i've always looked at it as character is what makes someone special, not race. which means you can be the most exotic race in the game and not be special. which also means that you should be able to pick whatever race you want. we are playing adventurers, which are extremely atypical to begin with. having the option for different races adds all kinds of interesting personality quirks, rp moments and story hooks.

one of my favorite characters i've played is a goliath sorcerer with an intelligence of 5. he BARELY speaks, mostly just grunts like a gorilla, and has your typical goliath build. so the first time that group went into combat, my goliath charged the giant spider like he was going to rage and reckless attack, but then misty stepped behind it and shot a ray of frost everyone at the table lost it.

we still talk about that character pretty often and it's specifically because when you see a giant muscly goliath, you think angry barbarian. if i wasn't allowed to play anything but a human dwarf or elf, that ENTIRE character would be completely forgettable
1692647437579.gif

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
i don't know... i've always looked at it as character is what makes someone special, not race. which means you can be the most exotic race in the game and not be special. which also means that you should be able to pick whatever race you want. we are playing adventurers, which are extremely atypical to begin with. having the option for different races adds all kinds of interesting personality quirks, rp moments and story hooks.

one of my favorite characters i've played is a goliath sorcerer with an intelligence of 5. he BARELY speaks, mostly just grunts like a gorilla, and has your typical goliath build. so the first time that group went into combat, my goliath charged the giant spider like he was going to rage and reckless attack, but then misty stepped behind it and shot a ray of frost everyone at the table lost it.

we still talk about that character pretty often and it's specifically because when you see a giant muscly goliath, you think angry barbarian. if i wasn't allowed to play anything but a human dwarf or elf, that ENTIRE character would be completely forgettable
A character so dumb he barely speaks, yet is able to masterfully navigate a battlefield and perform a Kobayashi Maru.

RP fail.

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Probably, the reason why the Act 3 memory leak hasn't been a bigger deal just yet, is that only 14.6% of people have even made it to Act 3.

It does get bad, even with a high-end machine. I've just been quitting out and restarting every few hours and it remedies the situation well enough. I'll take an issue like that over crash bugs, of which I've had zero in 73 hours played.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
A character so dumb he barely speaks, yet is able to masterfully navigate a battlefield and perform a Kobayashi Maru.

RP fail.
More like run up to the baddie and point blank fireball. Int 5 is like retarded.

• 2Worf

Burns

>The vast majority of people in DnD are supposed to be level 1, I believe. So even a level 5 to 10 spell caster is going to destroy the regular tradesmen and city folk.

Leveling is like, just getting better at something, if I do something enough times then I've leveled right, so if you subjugate something from birth, and cull the feral, you'll breed complacent less willful more dependent creatures, that could theoretically level up in whatever pursuit you've breed them to be reliably good at.

That's animal husbandry, if you intentionally subjugate over generations you get your work horses and your beasts of burden, but not self sufficiency.

If you don't, you'll have large break away casts, which apparently do exist, but apparently not in this game (Edit: Other then what sounds like good guy Dark Elves).

it's just a simple thing there can't be two equals, while one isn't equal - something has leverage over the other.

D&D Dark Elves just seem like some guys domination fantasy without recognizing the long term consequences.
I don't think Farmers, Millers, Butchers, and woodworkers are leveling up and getting more hp/combat abilities in DnD.

For all the other stuff, it's a world full of magic. Plenty of magic to keep people in line without "subjugating" them like slaves.

If you're set on trying to game this out like it's real life: 99% of violent/ambitious males were kept in line through violence or the threat of it, throughout history. Even if they joined the various military/war bands, they were still kept in line through the threat of violence. Are you a work horse and beast of burden?

In Loth Drow society, the women hold the ability to commit the most violence, due to all the fucking magic, therefore they are able to hold everyone else in line. It's not that hard to understand.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I don't think Farmers, Millers, Butchers, and woodworkers are leveling up and getting more hp/combat abilities in DnD.

For all the other stuff, it's a world full of magic. Plenty of magic to keep people in line without "subjugating" them like slaves.

If your set on trying to game this out like it's real life: 99% of violent/ambitious males were kept in line through violence or the threat of it, throughout history. Even if they joined the various military/war bands, they were still kept in line through the threat of violence. Are you a work horse and beast of burden?

In Loth Drow society, the women hold the ability to commit the most violence, due to all the fucking magic, therefore they are able to hold everyone else in line. It's not that hard to understand.
Not sure how it is done in 5e, but civilians usually get like 1d4 HP. They aren't actual classes.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
More like run up to the baddie and point blank fireball. Int 5 is like retarded.
I probably wouldn't even let a char with INT 5 be a caster, TBH. The player would have to have a REALLY compelling reason on why the fuck he isn't just basically perma-silenced.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I probably wouldn't even let a char with INT 5 be a caster, TBH. The player would have to have a REALLY compelling reason on why the fuck he isn't just basically perma-silenced.
But I’m not silenced, I’m speaking.

• 1Worf

Burns

Well, a sorcerer could run on feelings, where their "blood" knows the magic words and they manifest themselves through high stress moments, like combat. After combat, the idiot sorc wouldn't even remember what he said or how he cast it. It would mean the character couldn't do magic outside of combat though, which would be a pretty big handicap for the party. Dunno how you would creatively handle spell components, or is that just a wizard thing?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Over the weekend I stumbled across Ansur and got my shit pushed in. The dialogue before the fight was a huge reveal about The Emperor and it killed me to have to walk away after 4 hours of getting dragon raped. I probably spent 6 hours total of me trying to beat it with different strats and party members. I finally killed him this morning with my Cleric, Lae'zel Fighter, Karlach respeced to fighter (I am bad at Barb) and Gale Wizard. No Multi class all lvl 9. Ended with Gale being the last one standing and Ansur with 33 hp. Gale hit Ansur for 30 leaving only 3hp and a prayer that Gale would survive the next attack. Lightning resist FTW and didn't miss on the last 3 hp. Was awesome and thrilling and felt like I accomplished something.

1692651420911.png

Sexy reward too!
1692651642760.png

• 2Like