Battleborn

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Overwatch is much closer to TF2, while thing is more of a traditional MOBA that just happens to be an fps. I think it'll wind up being relatively different markets.

The real question is if Gigantic is going to be able to get off the ground at all.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ended up getting to play 1 story mission yesterday, didn't much care for the character(Rath) I picked so the experience wasn't the best but definitely interested in playing some more.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Montana has been my favorite character so far. Some of the player skills feel pretty worthless.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Not my favourite. Overwatch is gonna smash it into dirt IMO.

Unresponsive, shitty art, annoying Wildstar-esque themes/humor.

Column_sl

shitlord
That's great, but Overwatch really isn't a moba.

I would think it's direct competition would be newer games likes Paragon.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Game is too complex. Characters are too simple. It looks like rainbow vomit. Avoid at all costs.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It looks like rainbow vomit.
This is the fucking truth. They could axe 75% of the particles in this game and it would STILL be too fucking noisy to look at. That's not even taking in to account the shitty FOV and gigantic fucking gun models on most chars.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I was excited to try the beta and didn't realize the xb1 version didn't start til middle of this week. Why the fuck wasn't it on the weekend?

HUH_sl

shitlord
Gearbox is a terrible developer that fluked out with one game and is barely holding that franchise together. This game never had a chance.

norp

Bronze Squire
Borderlands 2 was an incredible game, and I can't fathom why they decided to do Battleborn in the current market over a new Borderlands game. That being said, I'm going to check out the beta this week... but based on public opinion so far, it doesn't look good.

Sulrn

Deuces
Borderlands 2 was an incredible game, and I can't fathom why they decided to do Battleborn in the current market over a new Borderlands game. That being said, I'm going to check out the beta this week... but based on public opinion so far, it doesn't look good.
HoN is dying/dead. Dota 2 is stagnating. LoL is stagnating. HotS is shallow, casual. Strife is ??? Smite is ??? Paragon is still in beta. Overwatch is leaning more FPS than MOBA.

Market isn't that bad for a well developed MOBA, bit crowded if you include shovelware and the casual market - but most of those are dead anyway. I'm not doing the beta because it's a shooter instead of a classic RTS style, but they're doing a couple of things I wish Dota 2 would do by bringing back mechanics from AOS/twisting from HotS.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I went to the Gearbox panel on Friday and while it was clear that most people were in the room because of Borderlands, Gearbox themselves were very much pushing Battleborn as it comes out in 2 weeks. Of course they teased the reveal that a new Borderlands was in early stages of development and that some Easter Eggs related to the older games plus the new one would be present in Battleborn.

Randy Pitchford is always entertaining, especially with the magic tricks, but the overall theme was a hope that lightning would strike twice even to the point of invoking the PAX appearance they made right before Borderlands came out where people were also skeptical of what this new thing might be.

I've played the beta and I enjoyed it, but I think I enjoyed it because it felt like a more cohesive MMO borderlands experience and not because of the "level up each match" MOBA mechanic. Certainly the storytelling and humor are very much in family with Borderlands, and they have doubled down on the repeatable nature of the missions saying that different voice overs from all parties would cycle through and they even put in rare voice overs with story elements that you might only encounter after doing a given mission many times. It's a nice touch that adds some lore polish to what is otherwise a very action oriented game.

The biggest problem with Battleborn is Overwatch. That a similar art style multi-strange-character shooter hybrid from Blizzard is coming out that same week is just really unfortunate. I fear that despite Gearbox throwing their heart and soul into the affair that this game is destined to be overshadowed by the (in this case literal) 800 lbs gorilla of Overwatch.

Column_sl

shitlord
Think you mean Overwatch is doing Open Beta on May 3rd, and Battleborn launches on the same day.

That is just typical Blizzard cockblocking. Not much they can do about it.

They are such different games, they just look similar in theme.

The PVE aspects of Battleborn are really fun it's like mini raids. I wonder how much they will support that feature at launch, and if they will have a really tough difficulty option.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The PvE was kinda meh though, at least the little I played during the open beta weekend thing. I did 2 of the maps and besides the fact both were braindead easy, they had fairly poor pacing and didn't feel very interesting. Coop borderlands feels a lot better to play. It's compounded by the lack of loot obviously, in BL you're always looking for that one cool drop, and sometimes halfway through a mission you'll find a cool weapon upgrade, or you just test weapons out and stuff like that, but in Battleborn you don't have that. There's an item system but it feels a lot more limited due to your weapon being dictated by your class. I mean I do like there's a ton of different classes and shit, but the "talent tree" is minimalistic in comparison to borderlands.

I don't know, it didn't feel very good to play, and it wasn't very interesting. I don't know how many missions there are to play, but they'd need like 15+ for the game to not feel boring in a couple of days. As for the PvP, it looked kinda like a mess. Doesn't help you can't fucking tell what's going on if there's more than 3people fighting in the same area. And I don't mean like the "can't fucking tell what's going on" period of adaptation that you face whenever you pick up a new moba cause you don't know skills and shit, but more like you can't see anything cause of all the colors and explosions and particles and all that shit.