Battleborn

Qhue

Tranny Chaser

They played that at the Gearbox panel and it is stupidly catchy. If I do end up getting this it will likely be because the chorus is stuck in my head...

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider

Really great intro video they did for the game with Deltron, picked it up after enjoying the beta. Will be playing a ton of Benedict it seems.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The rap video is the cringiest fucking thing I've seen in a long time.

Deltron on the other hand is timeless and awesome, and they actually had some pretty sick animation for that.

spronk

FPS noob
probably not a good sign that i lost interest halfway through that video and started looking at pictures of cats

good song though

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I've been halfheartedly following this and man and I of course like gearbox, but I feel pretty bad for them with battleborn, this is pretty much gonna be stillborn.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Dunno why so many people keep comparing this to Overwatch, they aren't remotely similar. Overwatch is basically Blizzard's version of TF2 and Battleborn is a first person MOBA. It's unfortunate the two keep getting linked because people are going to think they are the same and it will probably end up killing this game in the long run. Anyway, I played about 4 hours last night and had a blast, hopefully the population stays high enough that getting into games doesn't become a chore.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Either I'm getting old (I am) or I need to go visit Lenscrafters (I do) but the on-screen text for this game is so freakishly small that I have to get closer to the screen in order to read what the ability text is. Now after I know all these things I should be able to sit back aways and relax, but it still seems like they should have enbiggened the text for the console version just a smidge.

spronk

FPS noob
people keep comparing this, Overwatch, and Doom because they are all releasing within 2 weeks of each other and most people don't buy multiple games at once. If most people had to choose between Overwatch and Battleborn, most are going to choose Overwatch I think. I don't know if this game would have really done better if they had delayed it 2-3 months, but I do know that OW is going to fuck it over hard. Plus, you know, Uncharted 4 in 1 week too.

I mean holy shit I just realized Battleborn releases TODAY and nobody is talking about it, anywhere, and its below the Overwatch beta on twitch

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
people keep comparing this, Overwatch, and Doom because they are all releasing within 2 weeks of each other and most people don't buy multiple games at once. If most people had to choose between Overwatch and Battleborn, most are going to choose Overwatch I think. I don't know if this game would have really done better if they had delayed it 2-3 months, but I do know that OW is going to fuck it over hard. Plus, you know, Uncharted 4 in 1 week too.

I mean holy shit I just realized Battleborn releases TODAY and nobody is talking about it, anywhere, and its below the Overwatch beta on twitch
It's because the game sucks. All I had to do was go back to Smite if I wanted something like this. And Smite is free. And runs better.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Battleborn seems to have somewhat obfuscated progression. It is the sort of game where you might think that you would have solid progression system and instead they have the rather vague "mutations" which is more akin to the level unlocks in Heroes of the Storm than anything else.

I'd have preferred to have actual loot and the ability to do each of the co-ops are a variety of different "levels", but that is too MMOish I suppose. It remains to be seen whether or not running dungeons over and over for the sake of running dungeons over and over translates to entertainment the same way that running MOBA matches does.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Battleborn seems to have somewhat obfuscated progression. It is the sort of game where you might think that you would have solid progression system and instead they have the rather vague "mutations" which is more akin to the level unlocks in Heroes of the Storm than anything else.

I'd have preferred to have actual loot and the ability to do each of the co-ops are a variety of different "levels", but that is too MMOish I suppose. It remains to be seen whether or not running dungeons over and over for the sake of running dungeons over and over translates to entertainment the same way that running MOBA matches does.
There is loot in Battleborn. As you are playing through each stage loot of various tiers (basic to legendary) can drop and it goes into your loot pool where you can equip three items in each loadout. Hardcore drops better gear than Normal. Basically progression is getting better gear, leveling up your character (up to 15), your command rank (up to 100), and mutations are a quick progression that happens in each game. There are also challenges, skin unlocks, etc. Overall there are plenty of reasons to replay the missions as opposed to a traditional MOBA where everything gets reset every time you play.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Perhaps I am using the lingo incorrectly. I had thought Mutations were a third option found on the Helix that got unlocked as you made progression with a given character in the form of levels, but that was the only real gameplay modification that existed in the game.

You know I thought I heard them talk about loot and all that but when I was searching around for progression system info I did not see anything about the loadout stuff... so that is quite refreshing to hear! Sadly I've been trying to convince people to pick up the game and not had any luck so far.

Also this is a thing...

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Perhaps I am using the lingo incorrectly. I had thought Mutations were a third option found on the Helix that got unlocked as you made progression with a given character in the form of levels, but that was the only real gameplay modification that existed in the game.

You know I thought I heard them talk about loot and all that but when I was searching around for progression system info I did not see anything about the loadout stuff... so that is quite refreshing to hear! Sadly I've been trying to convince people to pick up the game and not had any luck so far.

Also this is a thing...

Don't worry, we can play Smite together. And it's free. Or Dota 2. Or Paragon in a few months. All free.

Biggest mistake? Trying to monetize a MOBA (3rd person or other wise) upfront with a full retail purchase price because they slapped a mediocre campaign on it. Oh, and a season pass to separate the player base.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider

Also this is a thing...
No, sorry, you were using the right terms. For some reason I was thinking Helix when I mentioned Mutations. As far as gear here's a video that explains it pretty well:

Baek

Golden Knight of the Realm
300 hours played on borderlands 2... i feel like I owe them this purchase...
also the voice on the steam trailer is totally Shade.
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/st...m?t=1460058287
Y2OT2ID.png

Fadaar

That guy
I don't know what happened with Borderlands 2, but I'd really like to know who/what was the driving force that made it so infinitely better than everything else Gearbox has done. Steam only has me at 81 hours for BL2, but it's in reality at least triple that because the majority of the time I spent playing it was when I was deployed in 2012 and running Steam in offline mode.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I don't know what happened with Borderlands 2, but I'd really like to know who/what was the driving force that made it so infinitely better than everything else Gearbox has done.
Paul Hellquist. He's one of the best in the industry. Lead designer for the original Bioshock and director for BL2. Gearbox as an organization is pretty much shit. This guy does great work and carried the company in my opinion. He is also no longer there.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Played this some last night with mixed results. Thoughts in no particular order:

- Very first thing I did was a Public Story Mission where we had people with microphones and there was actual communication going on. Sadly we got to Geoff in the first mission and he bugged out and that was the end of that. Very unfortunate thing to happen right out of the gate.

- This is likely a symptom of the game just coming out, but everytime the team leveled up we had a near wipe because people would open up their Helix to read and mull over the choices. As things progress I am sure people will get used to knowing what to pick and when to pick it, but right now its a bit of a mess.

- Gear. Very cool in concept especially given the MOBA-esque cost to activate but again right now it is hard to know what to do with it since we are all so new that synergies just dont happen. Having only the one loadout initially also is kinda meh since it means I had to grab pen and paper to list out what I thought were other viable combinations for potential use. Part of me wishes there were character specific pieces of Gear even just because I think it would be nice to have character specific modifiers akin to the Class Mods rather than Relics.

- Confusion. There is a LOT going on at any given point during a story mission and it is often very difficult to keep track of what is happening, especially from a first person perspective. It is entirely possible that my teammates were doing cool things, but I couldnt be certain as I could barely tell what I was doing as tons and tons of minions blew into bits

Overall I had fun, but the Story Missions were long enough that I found myself seriously questioning whether I wanted to go into another one with a bunch of randos. This game really REALLY needs a posse of people you know and trust.