Turgur_sl

shitlord
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: BattleBots

Genre: Reality

First aired: 2015-06-21

Creator: Greg Munson, Edward P. Roski

Cast: Chris Rose, Kenny Florian, Faruq Tauheed

Overview: BattleBots promises to wow viewers with next generation robots—bigger, faster and stronger than ever before. The show will focus on the design and build of each robot, the bot builder backstories, their intense pursuit of the championship and the spectacle of the event.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw this news last night. Fuck yes.

About once a year or so I fall down a youtube hole of watching robot fighting videos. There's still leagues and shit. Any robot that uses spinning is tits. Whether it's the inverted bowl style bots, the big flat cylindrical ones, ones with a big weightflywheel or drum, whatever it is. They send shit flying and it's so fun to watch. Wedgebots can eat a dick.

edit: Something like this beats the shit out of two triangles bumping in to eachother for 3 minutes.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Heh, with living in one of the robotics capitals of the US, I've been thinking about this ancient show quite a bit (never really watched it before - but talking to roboticists RL on a regular basis has changed the interest level) - will be awesome if nothing else to show the one young roboticist the program since he didn't know what I was talking about.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Get him on youtube and look up Combots and Robot Fight League.

After my post yesterday I think I spent about 2-3 hours throughout the day watching clips.

Robots to look for if you want to see spinning shit that wrecks fools: Last Rites(Tombstone), Megabyte, Redrum, and Shrederator.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I remember when they had that show on Comedy Central and was it Jay Leno that had his own bot? Was cool seeing the various designs people came up with.

Always laughed when someone had this incredibly complex robot, and one person with a lifter mechanism or pneumatic hammer pick style one gets one good shot in and they are boned.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, the kid I mentioned earlier (wife's new best friend's eldest kid) - was part of the club at the high school, apparently their team won with a pretty simple design. (non-combat bots though, just task based challenges in a time limit)

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I remember when they had that show on Comedy Central and was it Jay Leno that had his own bot? Was cool seeing the various designs people came up with.
CHINKILLA!

chinkilla.jpg

We also have the Mythbusters, Jaime and Adam specifically, to thank for the first effective implementation of the awesome spinning body design.

Blendo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

blendo.jpg

It first competed in the second Robot Wars competition in San Francisco (1995). After two fights (against robots Namreko and DoMore)it was deemed too hazardous to compete by the event supervisors and the insurance company after throwing pieces of its opponents over the arena walls. It was given co-champion status in exchange for withdrawing from the competition.Blendo returned in the fourth Robot Wars competition in San Francisco (1997), after the height of the arena walls had been increased to prevent debris from reaching the audience. In this competition, Blendo again fought two robots (Hercules and Punjar), and quickly defeated both.After causing damage to the arena walls in both matches Blendo was again asked to withdraw in exchange for co-champion status.
Grant Imahara had one as well.

Deadblow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I kinda liked the UK version better. The bots had to compete in some challenges to earn the right to fight. So you needed a more well rounded robot

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
If anyone wants to build a Battlebot, I'd be happy to do the metal work for you. Or at least give you a quote. I do sheet metal fabrication for a living (high end stuff, not HVAC), so it just makes sense.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If anyone wants to build a battlebot, I'd be happy to watch a youtube video of you compete so I can laugh at your skills. One thing that always annoyed me about watching these fights is that at all levels the controllers seem poorly trained. They bumble around the arena like a freshman unhooking a bra.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Loved this show. Mauler was always my favorite but it lost quite a bit.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Show was fun when I was a kid, but assumed it was just nostalgia. Still pretty cool. Too many commentators, too much talking (sometimes the back-stories or them working on bots is interesting, but mostly it's boring), too much ARE YOU READY?!!?!? But the fights are actually fun.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I like it on DVR. Some of the people are interesting, sometimes they're in the back tinkering with broken things. Overall I'm enjoying this blast-from-the-past more than when they tried to bring American Gladiators back, though Crush/Carano was fun to watch (until I swear they told her to stop actually demolishing everyone in everything).

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
That mini bot devestation was hilarious and very photogenic.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Can someone explain what the mini bots were doing? Is each team bringing a big bot and a mini bot or something?

Also, in the second fight, who won? Looked like legless was taking a pounding, but at the end, it might have disabled the tank.

Oh and did these fuckers learn nothing from the original series? Where are the SRMs? You can't be a serious contender without a self righting mechanism.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database