Better Call Saul

Caliane

def should have rewatched the last few episodes. was pretty lost on what was going on, for much of this one.
forgot about Chucks fall. thanks for the reminder on that.

Do not remember what was going on with Mike's car. was that his car, his daughter in laws? why did he think it was bugged? The entire leadup. I dont remember a thing.
Kim with the "--, :". was that a callback to something?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
def should have rewatched the last few episodes. was pretty lost on what was going on, for much of this one.

Do not remember what was going on with Mike's car. was that his car, his daughter in laws? why did he think it was bugged? The entire leadup. I dont remember a thing.
the wagon wasnt his car, he likely procured that for this job which was putting a hit on Tuco's uncle. he though it was bugged because the "Don't" sticky was on his windscreen, meaning he was followed. the whole reason for the hit was because the salamancas were following him and threatening his grand daughter. least thats how i remember it. i probably wrong. why the ;? i dunno, i guess its to show how anal she is about doing things properly.

Caliane

ah. thanks. right. he went to snipe in the desert. came back to his car with the note. thanks.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
I enjoy the drollness of the (present day?) "mall" scenes. Slippin' Jimmy's eventual down fall is what draws me to the prequel.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This was her struggling with knowing that how they got the deal was shady combined with how the other lady complained about the single typo. She wanted it so perfect she was having an existential crisis about one sentence transition.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

that car was his "kill car"

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Great show, well written, well acted, everything. But man, they are dragging this out for all it's worth. This isn't a new phenomenon to this season, either. The directing and editing components are just glacial.

I understand that they are trying to pull as many seasons as they can from a relatively limited amount of storyline, but the long scenes are killing me.

From the car dismantling to the semi-colon crisis- they could accomplish the exact same thing in a few quick cuts that they instead take multiple minutes of film to show.

No doubt, sometimes you need a long extended shot to really bring out the tension in a scene (the Mia Wallace heroin OD scene in Pulp Fiction where they are trying to revive her is a good example), but BCS does it all the time for relatively mundane shit.

Anyway, I'm nitpicky and the show is definitely still good enough that I'm going to keep watching it, but that shit is a little obnoxious at this point.

They need to move the story along a little quicker.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Great show, well written, well acted, everything. But man, they are dragging this out for all it's worth. This isn't a new phenomenon to this season, either. The directing and editing components are just glacial.

I understand that they are trying to pull as many seasons as they can from a relatively limited amount of storyline, but the long scenes are killing me.

From the car dismantling to the semi-colon crisis- they could accomplish the exact same thing in a few quick cuts that they instead take multiple minutes of film to show.

No doubt, sometimes you need a long extended shot to really bring out the tension in a scene (the Mia Wallace heroin OD scene in Pulp Fiction where they are trying to revive her is a good example), but BCS does it all the time for relatively mundane shit.

Anyway, I'm nitpicky and the show is definitely still good enough that I'm going to keep watching it, but that shit is a little obnoxious at this point.

They need to move the story along a little quicker.
what are you in an all fired rush about? these long scenes have meaning, more meaning than an entire half season of walking dead filler.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I enjoyed this opening episode, but I do see Arden's point as well.

Sometimes it seems they deliberately slow down certain scenes for no reason.

Either way, a solid beginning.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Ya'll gotta quit waiting for Saul to show up. For all we know he only becomes Saul in the very last episode of the series. Saul Goodman name goes up on a bus stop bench ... roll credits.

I love how much it got to Mike that someone got the drop on him that he dismantled every inch of the car looking for a tracker. It's very Mike of him.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
idk I feel like the series will end with someone taking him out @ Cinnabon

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
what are you in an all fired rush about? these long scenes have meaning, more meaning than an entire half season of walking dead filler.

Yeah, the scenes have meaning, but (in this case) shooting them long-style doesn't have much meaning. That's my point.

The whole montage where Mike disassembled the car could have been done in less 60 seconds and communicated the exact same thing.

-Shot of Mike looking at the fully assembled car. He sighs and then starts to go at it with a screwdriver.
-Shot of the sun high in the sky
-Shot of Mike sitting on the ground looking frustrated and worn out. The car is in a million pieces all over the place. The sun is starting to set in the background.

There was really no need to see him removing several individual parts and then a time lapse of him disassembling pretty much the entire fucking vehicle. Show us the start of the disassembly, show us the cut scenes and then the end result and we will get the point.

Again, there are definitely times when drawn out shots like that have value. But in this case, showing at the long way did not 1. serve to advance the story, 2. tell us anything more about Mike's character, 3. provide us with some hidden insight into the plot or storyline.

It was filler. Well done and interesting filler, but filler. It's a testament to how great the guys making this are that it's difficult to immediately identify as filler.

Anyway, like I said, the show is great regardless. It just kills the pacing a little bit for me, that's all. One scene wouldn't even be a big deal, but it's a pattern I've seen many times since S01. By this time in the life cycle of Breaking Bad I felt like so much more had happened.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, the scenes have meaning, but (in this case) shooting them long-style doesn't have much meaning. That's my point.

The whole montage where Mike disassembled the car could have been done in less 60 seconds and communicated the exact same thing.

-Shot of Mike looking at the fully assembled car. He sighs and then starts to go at it with a screwdriver.
-Shot of Mike sitting on the ground looking frustrated and worn out. The car is in a million pieces all over the place. The sun is starting to set in the background.

There was really no need to see him removing several individual parts and then a time lapse of him disassembling pretty much the entire fucking vehicle. Show us the start of the disassembly, show us the cut scenes and then the end result and we will get the point.

Again, there are definitely times when drawn out shots like that have value. But in this case, showing at the long way did not 1. serve to advance the story, 2. tell us anything more about Mike's character, 3. provide us with some hidden insight into the plot or storyline.

It was filler. Well done and interesting filler, but filler. It's a testament to how great the guys making this are that it's difficult to immediately identify as filler.

Anyway, like I said, the show is great regardless. It just kills the pacing a little bit for me, that's all. One scene wouldn't even be a big deal, but it's a pattern I've seen many times since S01. By this time in the life cycle of Breaking Bad I felt like so much more had happened.
see, you're trying to economize those scenes because you think they are skimping out on something else. this is the third season, there is no something else. this is it. if you think the something else is the saul at cinnabon show then you are in for a disappointment.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Breaking Bad didn't turn it up to 11 until season four.
dunno what you mean by that, but the show turned it up to 11 when they cast Tuco in season 1. from then on it was a wild ride of meth, cartels and breakfasts right up until the end.

• 1Like

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
see, you're trying to economize those scenes because you think they are skimping out on something else. this is the third season, there is no something else. this is it. if you think the something else is the saul at cinnabon show then you are in for a disappointment.

ends with him dying for sure. mebe some BB followups on what the chars are doin.

The cinnabon shit is moee interesting than the main plotline. its better watchin saul be a piece of shit instead of prancing around trying not to be

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
ends with him dying for sure. mebe some BB followups on what the chars are doin.

The cinnabon shit is moee interesting than the main plotline. its better watchin saul be a piece of shit instead of prancing around trying not to be
the saul trickery and the mike stuff is easily the best of this show, but thats not also to say the chuck and kim stuff is shit. its actually very interesting even if it is a little tedious at times. for the record i think the cinnabon stuff is being shown in once a season snippets because i think they are showing the last days of his life, either literally or figuratively before he drops the fake identity and comes back as saul. i'm interested in the timeline the cinnabon scenes are from. i think they told us but now i dont remember if this was before or after walt's final showdown.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Biggest mystery will be how did Saul let this one get away, or...
6SeQMQB.jpg

Maybe they did so much shit (or soon will), that she had to book it, and all this time in Breaking Bad, Saul was doing all these "dirty" deals to make enough money for the both of them. (like during all of BB, she's still in hiding for some reason).

I'm guessing he'll drop the cinnabon job once he sees the news that Walther White and an entire gang of white nazis are dead.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>

The car scene being so long and detailed was perfect.

Nobody gets the drop in Mike. Season after season he's shown that he refuses to be careless. Now he realizes that someone has managed to spy on him without him knowing and it's going to eat him up until he figures out how.