Khane

Got something right about marriage
This movie was good. It was not a nostalgia grab. Fucker is wrong

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Khane

My full review from the Netflix thread

This was pretty good. Decent modern sequel to an old trilogy.

Nailed the 80s Beverly Hills cop vibe but doesnt quite have the same energy. Mostly music from that era with a couple newer "80s style" songs. Very much a "the crew is still the crew but old" movie. The daughter is mildly annoying but not too bad. Last half is better than the first half.

I give it a 7.5 out of 10. It's an actual movie with some effort put into it, not a nostalgia cash grab

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
This movie was good. It was not a nostalgia grab. Fucker is wrong
Nah. Pure nostalgia grab. Completely flat in every way. Turned it off 1/3 way through.

These people need to retire and stay retired.

• 2Garbage
Reactions: 1 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Nah. Pure nostalgia grab. Completely flat in every way. Turned it off 1/3 way through.

These people need to retire and stay retired.
sensing a pattern here in how 100% wrong you were in the dishwasher thread, I went ahead and downloaded this film.

it was a little paint by numbers of course but definitely had the feel down, overall enjoyable film, much better than his last attempt at reviving previous hits aka Coming 2 America.

It basically felt like Bad Boys 2 (like almost identical plot except you know no over the top Michael Bay invasion of cuba...)except the actors were much older and Eddie Murphy is much funnier and fun to watch than the similar aging Martin Lawrence and Will Smith.

• 2Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
you have to be realistic when coming in to these types of movies. its been 30 years since the last movie. the actors are old and no longer in the shape they once were. if you think this was anything other than a cash grab then you need to wake up. the only movies i felt like they actually had something to say was Rocky 6 and Rambo 5. thats only because Stallone got pissed off that Hollywood had retired him before he was ready and was determined to show them that he still got it. Rambo 6 was a pure cash grab though.

thats not to say that these movies still can't be entertaining, just dont kid yourselves about their motives in rezzing these old geezers to play their old roles.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
"You can't hear a forum thread title!"
Me: Axel F Beverly Hills Cop theme starts playing in my head.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
lol is there a more 2024 Hollywood idea than a super late sequel from 40 years ago jam packed with strong minority women and the bad guys are cops!!!!!

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
lol is there a more 2024 Hollywood idea than a super late sequel from 40 years ago jam packed with strong minority women and the bad guys are cops!!!!!

Idk honestly I'm usually pretty prickly about all this Hollywood woke shit being injected into movies, shows, etc these days but I felt like they really left this movie alone for the most part.

I mean, yeah they might have done this whole "smart daughter" and "deadbeat dad" thing but let's be real - it's pretty believable that Axel would be a shitty father, lol.

I enjoyed it for the most part. Felt like a decent throwback to the old ones.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Idk honestly I'm usually pretty prickly about all this Hollywood woke shit being injected into movies, shows, etc these days but I felt like they really left this movie alone for the most part.

I mean, yeah they might have done this whole "smart daughter" and "deadbeat dad" thing but let's be real - it's pretty believable that Axel would be a shitty father, lol.

I enjoyed it for the most part. Felt like a decent throwback to the old ones.

You aren’t wrong I was just making a joke cause at the moment I posted it I had just watched Axel getting owned by a black parking officer female and then arrested by two women of color police and the cops are the literal enemies to the people because even in Beverly Hills cop you have to tread lightly on glossing the police.

compared to the shit that comes out today this was pretty benign. Wasn’t great, more like a 2005-2008 era action movie you would watch on FX on a Saturday: think Hollywood Homicide.

the bar is so high the first two films are classics. So this could never even try to hold up. It hurts the film since the nostalgia makes it better than it is, but it’s also nowhere near as good as the Ogs.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
didn't notice too much woke stuff in this film, a black man being an absent/shitty father, abandoning his family, etc is literally the opposite of woke, it's honest storytelling.

only really noticed 2 things. When they did the bit at the hockey game it felt like Eddie was making fun of pussy ass liberals who are super sensitive to the race thing, but then they did do the woke joke about him afraid of getting shot by the police as a black man (I been a cop for 30 years but I been a black man longer than that) was cringe as fuck, the arresting officer was a black fucking woman lol.

So in liberal delusional fantasy world 2024 has worse race relations for black people than 1984...Despite you know, statistics and shit. Statistics is the liberals kryptonite.

Here was him getting arrested by white cops in 1984...notice no fear of getting shot despite having a concealed weapon on him....hrm I guess we really did just regress 50 years of race relations due to media bullshit.... Thanks Obama.

• 1Mother of God

Khane

He was afraid because they were female cops. Obviously.

A poignant, modern day social critique!

Xevy

Log Wizard
This was.. okay? Murphy was good as Foley, Billy sounded like he had his vocal cords scraped by Wolverine, Taggart played who he'd be at this point perfectly well, an almost 80 year old who looked like he was 65 40 years ago. The "action" was very slow, villains never shot for the heroes, and you know who the bad guy is in like 15 minutes. Eddie Murphy banter was good, as to be expected, but everything else was pretty underwhelming.

Definitely a streaming/FX level of movie. I don't think they spit on BHC's grave or anything, but you could've transported this to 1992 and people would've said "yeah, it wasn't bad!" Joseph Gordon Levitt looks like he's scene a fucking ghost now though, not sure what's up with him. Looks like his eyes have aged 25 years in the last 5.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It wasn't amazing or anything, but WAY fucking better than I expected and a solid 7.5/10. Eddie 100% carried the entire thing. Joseph Gordon Levitt looks like he's 55 now.

The one thing it did really well is remind me of how "fun" movies in the 80s and 90s were. You don't need fucking 60 minutes of exposition, character flashbacks, etc. etc. Movies can just be mindless and still enjoyable.

His daughter is a fucking garbage tier actress though. Some of her lines were delivered like AI reading a script.

• 1Like