Bicycling

Seventh

Golden Squire
That just seems like a ton of money for not much bike. Basic frame, no suspension, some big tires and it's magically $2k? I just don't get it.
That's cycling, haha. It really is a bit of a ripoff - lower end components galore, but at least the fork is carbon. Fuck it though, the thing is a hoot and I think it's worth it. Every time I get to go on it in the winter instead of the fucking trainer I won't think about the value, ya know?

And since I got a new bike, it's obviously time for me to shit up the thread with improvements, so here's the new Atlas risers.

riLIWjQ.png

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
That just seems like a ton of money for not much bike. Basic frame, no suspension, some big tires and it's magically $2k? I just don't get it.
Suspension (even just front suspension) on a fatbike is sort of crazy though. I'm not even sure why you'd get a bucksaw/full suspension fatbike.

Part of it is hype, and part of it is that the market is still new so the economies of scale and price competition hasn't quite kicked in (though Toys-R-Us has a nice fat bike for $250).

You basically use the tires instead of suspension. I also think that there are some basic upgrades that are done from "base models" that are a bit labor intensive (drilling out holes in rims is a big one for weight savings/reduction of rolling resistance).

As a comparison:
$23002014 Mukluk 2 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles
$18502014 Mukluk 3 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles

That's Salsa/QBP prices though so it's a bit higher.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Damn Seventh, for 1850 you could have gotten that Mukluk 3 with BB7's and a hell of a lot more street cred!

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
Hey all.

Ive been interested in buying a road bike for sometime. I really don't know much about road bikes, but interested in making a solid purchase. It will be my main form of transportation (college, store...everything is within biking distance). I'm also going to start training for triathlons. My budget...I'm a college student, so the best bang for my buck is my budget. Less than a grand would be ideal. I don't know what size frame, so I will go check out a few bike shops and get measured.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Damn Seventh, for 1850 you could have gotten that Mukluk 3 with BB7's and a hell of a lot more street cred!
BB7s are for poor people and hipsters. I already have XTs on the way.

because I'm just slightly less than poor because I waste all my money on this shit. and hookers.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I use BB7's on my single speed mountain bike. Mechanical just seems to go with single speed to me. I didn't really like the XT brakes I tried on a demo. My Avid hydraulics seem to modulate better, but I'm apparently in the minority on that one.

Drafted behind some tri guy at the end of my ride today. How can they stand reaching all the way down off the aero bars whenever they need to shift? Dude was on those things constantly, switched to hoods a few times but never went in the drops once.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So I'm having some weird problems... after riding more than 25 miles, I'm starting to get some hip pain that doesn't go away (as in, I have it a day or two later). I'm also starting to get some neck/head pain after riding as well. Any thoughts on if it's a posture problem?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Just finished the 184-mile C&O Canal Towpath ride. It was really fun, and doing it over 3 days meant it was a nice, leisurely ride. The weather cooperated as well, and we didn't have to deal with any strong rain or excessive heat.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
So I'm having some weird problems... after riding more than 25 miles, I'm starting to get some hip pain that doesn't go away (as in, I have it a day or two later). I'm also starting to get some neck/head pain after riding as well. Any thoughts on if it's a posture problem?
The neck pain is common because your head is in a weird position for several hours. The hip pain is not, though. It sounds like it's an incorrect fit of your bike. Are your legs too extended? Not extended enough?

Bike Ride on 07/13/2014 | CYCLING Training Log Entry | MapMyRide

Did that yesterday. I was fuming because: 1) Lucas Valley is long as hell, 2) I ran out of water and still had about 40 minutes to go (by this point, I had already drank 3 bottles). Went from 156lbs to 152lbs from how much I sweated out. x_x

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
The neck pain is common because your head is in a weird position for several hours. The hip pain is not, though. It sounds like it's an incorrect fit of your bike. Are your legs too extended? Not extended enough?
I don't know. I think I'll bring it into the shop sometime (when I stop to get a new rear skewer too) and see if they're willing to help me fit. The neck problem is getting annoying because I was in a fender-bender in late March and have had some headaches since then.

Thanks, I'll check into the fit.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Re: Neck problems, you could also be too far away from your handlebar so your arms are completely extended -- there needs to be a slight bent in there.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Sounds to me like your seat is too far up causing your hips to rock. You could also try a stem with more rise to make it more of an upright riding position. It's hard to say though without pics of you on the bike.

Completed the stp on Sunday, back to back flat centuries. Went slow the first day cause I was just enjoying it but it was gonna rain Sunday afternoon so I drilled it. I averaged around 20mph the whole day and got in about an hour before the rain.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Having more bend in the leg to fully use the quadriceps rather than the hamstring seems to be the FoTM these days. You can also see them doing that on the Tour de France.