A Mod Real Quick
Anyway my personal preferences for birth control are as follows:

copper IUD
hormonal IUD
Nuvaring
pills
condoms
pulling out

I usually use at least two of the above unless it's the week right after the red tide. Some studies show that sperm can live in the womb for up to a week.

HPV has hundreds of different strains and you probably have a few on you right now. Most cases go away after a few years, even in women. HPV is not for life, you retarded fuckstick. A few out of the hundreds are linked to causing cervical cancer, and an abnormal pap smear is no big fucking deal at all. Unless it's your vag getting scraped or lasered, that is.
Thanks dick. I asked a simple question and nowhere in my question did I say "hey guys I know HPV is for life
frown.png
frown.png
but how can I convince my girlfriend to let me keep infecting her with my poisoned dick?" I know all of this, but I have an extremely paranoid girlfriend. Anyways thanks to everyone for the info. After showing her evidence she no longer worries.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
You know, I could spend time citing further evidence, argue that research in 2004 is extremely relevant, or even simply state that I'll take the word of a PhD biochemist whose life has been dedicated to HPV research over yours. But you know what? All that becomes moot and entirely eclipsed when you make a statement that entirely nullifies any credibility you may have had. I mean, I feel almost embarrassed for you:

If you had any education in virology at all, you would know that HPV does not insert itself into DNA, it is part of the pox virus family and thus never enters the relative protection of the nucleus.
Now, I just did my undergrad in Biochem, and shit that was 15 years ago and I don't work in the field. But I sure as hell remember in introductory microbiology that HPV belongs to the Papovaviridae family, not Poxviridae, and that it DOES replicate within the cell nucleus, not the cytoskeleton.

"Had any education in virology" indeed.. Oh the irony..

You linked a fucking press release from 2004? And a busted ass society page that has "under construction" or "coming soon" on every other link?

Fuck you. I mean that.

I actually hunted down the PNAS paper referenced in that press release and it doesn't prove shit. In fact, they go out of their way to say that they are discussing long term infections of HPV, not permanent infections. In short, it has nothing to do with what you think it does.

If you had any education in virology at all, you would know that HPV does not insert itself into DNA, it is part of the pox virus family and thus never enters the relative protection of the nucleus.

Babies have little to no functioning immune system. Of course they have recurring problems with genital warts, they were never able to clear the infection in the first place, and even then HPV infections of babies are nowhere near as severe, or life-threatening, as HSV infections are.

Learn english, you fucking mouthbreather. Dormant doesn't mean permanent.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Wife used Nuvaring for a while. Worked well, was convenient. As said, you can feel it sometimes but you can also just take it out while you're getting the job done. She liked it because she had fewer side effects (the hormone dose is lower than the pill).
In the same boat. Wife switched from pills to the ring because she would always get nauseous when starting a new round of the pills. Doesn't happen with the ring, so she likes it better. Plus there's the more convenient thing.

Rune_sl

shitlord
You know, I could spend time citing further evidence, argue that research in 2004 is extremely relevant, or even simply state that I'll take the word of a PhD biochemist whose life has been dedicated to HPV research over yours. But you know what? All that becomes moot and entirely eclipsed when you make a statement that entirely nullifies any credibility you may have had. I mean, I feel almost embarrassed for you:

Now, I just did my undergrad in Biochem, and shit that was 15 years ago and I don't work in the field. But I sure as hell remember in introductory microbiology that HPV belongs to the Papovaviridae family, not Poxviridae, and that it DOES replicate within the cell nucleus, not the cytoskeleton.

"Had any education in virology" indeed.. Oh the irony..
Yeah I fucked up and for a brief moment mistakenly included molluscum contaginosum in the HPV family for a brief second. It was a careless mistake. On the other hand, you're still a fucking idiot who is never going to be persuaded because you haven't done any research on this topic, don't have the background info or context, and don't know what you're talking about in the slightest.

You took one undergrad course in virology and are citing your education in biochem (seriously? fuck you and Etoille both. biochem is the new ayn rand). You clearly think research is sacred and there's no controversy, that a single press release proves something. That shows a shocking amount of naivety, appalling lack of critical thinking and a pervasive level of pseudointellectualism that isn't going to be swayed by a post on a messageboard.

Several members of the HPV family are implicated in causing cancer through integration into the genome by having selected genes such as E6/E7. Most members of the HPV family do not integrate into the genome, it's not absolute or even guaranteed to occur, and that integration process bears no relationship to how invasive and pervasive herpes is. Replicating in the nucleus is not the same thing as integration into the nucleus.

So you're still wrong, and you can't find a shred of evidence to prove your absurd, impossible claim that HPV is permanent. At best you could claim that for some people who have some types of HPV, in certain conditions of impaired immune system function, there may be a chance they never clear the infection. But that's true for most, if not all, pathogens. So pretend it's my argument that's flawed. Because at the end of the day you are basing your knowledge of virology from an undergrad microbiology class you took in your salad days back before DNA sequencing even existed, and claiming that as a relevant topical background.

At least I can retrace my steps. You're so deep in your own ignorance you don't even know how fucked you are. You could have easily found out that some labs have cultured HPV in immortalized cell lineages and pretended like that had anything to do with real life (tm), but once again you were too fucked in the ass right out the gate to even know where to start.

Yeah I'm sure that had nothing to do with being overweight and probably having PCOS.
No PCOS actually. If I was SO overweight that it wasn't the ring and had to be PCOS then explain to me how I got knocked up the first month we tried? Because if I had problems severe enough for it to be that and NOT the ring (BTW the majority of symptoms stopped when I stopped the ring and only started when I was on it (I'd been on ortho tri cyclen for 10 years prior with ZERO issues) but we'll just leave that little scientfic fact out of it for now) then CERTAINLY I'd be likely to have IF issues as well.

Thanks for playing cupcake!

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
as it has no effect on guys and doctor's can't test for it.
Uh, what? You better get your facts straight. I think you need to look up HPV and all the types of them, including the Gardasil vaccination. It certainly can affect men.

edit: In regards to the dormant vs cured -- I will agree with Wombat on this one. It's similar to that of herpes and lies dormant in the body. However, it is true that like herpes as well, the majority of the population has it.

http://www.cdc.gov/STD/hpv/STDFact-H...m#testforwomen

Is there a treatment or cure for HPV?

There is no treatment or cure for HPV. But there are ways to treat the health problems caused by HPV in men.
Please don't confuse treatment with cure.

niss_sl

shitlord
IUD is the best and what I recommend to all my patients. OCP/nuvaring the next best thing, especially if they want clearer skin. But even then I'd still recommend they get an IUD and use a lower estrogen pill like Alesse (which is a gimmicky piece of shit as far as birth control goes).

Depo should honestly be off the market (for BC purposes); it's trash.

Astralcherie_sl

shitlord
another good one is loestrin 24 fe. its a pain cause u have to take it every day but it works really well. ive never gotten pregnant and everyone thats on it hasnt gotten pregnant either.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
If by "work" you mean "doesn't work at all," then yeah.
It is almost as effective as condoms, actually. Doesn't work for STDs of course, and part of that is people improperly using condoms. And yet, it does work somewhat. That was a big point of contention in my BIO 101 class a year or so ago, people couldn't accept what the text was telling us because it has been drilled into our heads that pulling out doesn't work at all. But it does.

No one should listen to me about birth control, though, considering my wife was actually on birth control and got pregnant.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
It is almost as effective as condoms, actually. Doesn't work for STDs of course, and part of that is people improperly using condoms. And yet, it does work somewhat. That was a big point of contention in my BIO 101 class a year or so ago, people couldn't accept what the text was telling us because it has been drilled into our heads that pulling out doesn't work at all. But it does.

No one should listen to me about birth control, though, considering my wife was actually on birth control and got pregnant.
I'm gonna go ahead and admit I didn't take Bio 101, but the last stats I saw, withdrawl was around 70% effectiveness, and condoms are in the 98% range when used correctly. So yeah, of course it's somewhat effective, but it's not anywhere near as effective as proper contraception.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Huh, well, it's interesting that's it's changed in the last few years, but I've always kinda been skeptical about the numbers anyway because they rely 100% on people accurately reporting their sexual activities. It's not like there are people lining up to participate in clinical trials to see if blowing on her tits still gets her pregnant or anything.

But, that's great, because condoms suck, and if you can use the planned parenthood site (who also states that) to convince her to let you bareback her, then that's a win/win for all men!

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I don't agree that something with twice the chance of pregnancy with "perfect use" is very close to the same effectiveness. I am surprised though that it's supposedly 96% effective in that case. I'm curious how they arrived at their "typical use" rates that are nearly identical.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Pulling out sucks. Wrap it up/get her on the pill, ring, etc./finish with anal.