Boardwalk Empire

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Major historical spoilers regarding the real-life outcomes for Van Alden and Harrow:

Van Alden has a kid who unknowingly follows in his father's footsteps by becoming one of the most infamous mob hit men ever. He looks shockingly like his dad. Harrow is sent out west by Nucky where he eventually finds success in a popular series of beer commercials.

iannis

Musty Nester
Ahh, I thought scorsese was involved in the week-to-week of it. Which would make it more like directing 40 taxi drivers and a masterpiece.

If he only did the pilot and they're paying him to put his name up on the marquee, then yeah.

It's still got that scorsese feel to it.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
I started watching this show about a month ago and now I'm all caught up. Great show, except that one scene where Rothstein is gambling and asks to add more money to his stack in the middle of a hand. That really bugged me. This isn't 1950 rules of TV show making.

It may seem like a nit picky thing, but that is so far against the rules of poker that it has never happened in the history of the world of anyone ever remotely competent at poker

Cybsled

Whoever guessed that the Roy/Gillian Darmody angle was related to the murder of that guy to fake Jimmy's death was spot-on. At least that bullshit is finally over.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hopefully we don't have to see her in jail. Also glad Chaulky's girl is gone. Great episode. Chaulky is about to come rampaging back. Nucky knows Eli is the rat. Gonna be a great ending to the season.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Whoever guessed that the Roy/Gillian Darmody angle was related to the murder of that guy to fake Jimmy's death was spot-on. At least that bullshit is finally over.
biggrin.png

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
That detective plot line was flimsy as fuck... I can't believe they spent so much time on something so unlikely. There's just no way Gillian would admit she killed an innocent boy for no reason and the detective knowing she would seems even more unlikely. Hasn't she killed other people?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That detective plot line was flimsy as fuck... I can't believe they spent so much time on something so unlikely. There's just no way Gillian would admit she killed an innocent boy for no reason and the detective knowing she would seems even more unlikely. Hasn't she killed other people?
she was sorta involved with commodore's death, but i believe that was all jimmy doing the killing.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
So Daughter lit out and told the Dr's people where Chalky was? Or she just strolled off into the dark, saving him from having to abandon his family/life and the like? Why'd they ask for her once they showed up at the house?

Could help but think of Al Swearengen's dislike of Pinkertons this episode.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The dude who said he was going to Baltimore tipped them off. At least that was what I got out of it.

Dalnoth_sl

shitlord
You deserve a pat on the back, good sir. Have a drink on me.
For real glad that skank isnt taking up show-time anymore from the other things that actually are good on this show. The episode itself was great but I expected a lot more playing out in the actual episode. it saddens me greatly that they have to fit everything that has been left hanging this entire season into one 60 minute episode. It seems really janky honestly, The stuff going on in Chaulky's beef and Nucky's Action to that in regards the Dr could have been at least advanced in this weeks episode. There was very little to no advancement on either situations storyline. Imo the meet Eli is setting up should have happened in this episode.

It seems very unlikely they'll be able to explore and conclude all the loose ends in this season to a satisfactory level in one episode which blows. I wish they'd cut some of the fat from the show and focus more on what makes the show great. We've seen almost nothing of Richard lately who is imo, one of the strongest characters on the show.

I think Gilian's History; Capitol punishment is pretty much a given for any murder 1 charge back there and shes dead to rights on it. I really hope we've seen the last of her.

stonewall_sl

shitlord
I liked Gilian's character but it was played out so I am happy to see it coming to an end. I would love to see more focus on whats going on in NYC and Chicago or even better some sort of spin off.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
They should have focused more on crazy Gillian and found a way to get her up to Chicago with the Capone storyline up there. There's plenty of prostitutes for her to fall in with, and she should have used more nefarious means to get her grandson back. That'd have been a lot more interesting.

I suspect a lot of this season is going to spill over into next. I am betting Narcisse lives.

iannis

Musty Nester
I like Gillian but I gotta say that was a long walk for a short drink. That was some sort of intense psycho-drama.

Seducing a seductress, getting her clean off heroin,staging a murder... wasn't there a more direct way to elicit that confession? And all at the behest of the elder lawyer... who already knew that she'd done it. Was the idea just to ruin Gillian? Because fueling her heroin addiction would have been the easier way to go. Was the idea to break her? She was already pretty much broken. Was it to get her convicted of murder? Because I don't think even in the 20's that's what you'd call an ironclad confession. Why not just SAY she confessed, since she's going to have to deny it anyway. And it's all explained with, "I owed Lewis something". Huh? What, because she turned his mansion into a brothel and fucked up the powerplay which ended with the death of his son? How does that make ANY sense?

I think she's a quality actress though. That storyline was just inane. Probably should have let her die with that needle in her arm last season.

Big cast changes coming next season, I expect. I don't see a lot of loose ends to be tied up, really. Just a lot of splats. I don't see how Eli, Chalky, or Gillian live through any of that. And with Nucky saying I want out... makes you think that next season it becomes the Capone show with Nucky in a lesser role. A changing of the guard. And with how goofy that Gillian storyline was, it's not a horrible time to change the focus.

Granted -- that might be Nucky making some clever play, but I think that's Nucky realizing both that he doesn't want to kill his brother and that his brother will keep trying to kill him as long as they're both in the business together. It goes all the way back to what he told Margaret, "You decide how much sin you can live with." It's core to his character really.

That means less Harrow
frown.png
, but it also means more Van Alden
smile.png

I'm cool with it if they want to leave harrow where he is. Harrow gets a happy ending. He's married to a smart and stable woman, he's not under anyone's thumb, he gets to raise Jimmy's son as his own. Short of magicking his face back together that's about the happiest ending Harrow can possibly have -- and he found a way to quit fighting the war like he promised Jimmy he would.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I didn't catch who he said he owed. It seemed very elaborate for such a small payoff.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The whole Gillian thing was a bit convoluted. I hope we get more explanation on that - even if it's from an interview or something.

Iannis - No way is the show going to stop focusing on Nucky. Nucky is setting up some badass plan to make a power play. He does this almost every season towards the end.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I think he just doesn't want to have to punish his brother again. It's pretty clear he knows what is up.

I'm also expecting Knox to be involved in taking down Narcisse because Hoover is so focused on organized blacks. I suspect Hoover will steal the investigation from Knox and turn it into a race thing.