BOSTON marathon bombing verdict

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Every time I hear about one of these mass shootings I fantasize about sneaking up behind the guy while he's on his rampage, grabbing the rifle out of his hands, and beating him to death with it. I wouldn't vote to make that official policy though.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Not a problem since, as many posters on this message board have pointed out, I am also retarded.

Szlia

Imprisonment is violence. Don't be stupid.
Not all prison systems are plagued by overpopulation and violence as not all societies made an industry of jailing people (an industry that is growing thanks to intense lobbying for harsher sentencing). Anyway, a prison system can always get better, while, no matter how you sugarcoat it, an execution system always end up with the state killing people.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I have never understood the moral problem people have with the state killing someone that is guaranteed guilty.

The problem is not in the action, but in the "guaranteed" part for me. Our justice system is filled with examples where people were convicted and it didn't seem like anyone had a shadow of a doubt that the person was guilty. Appeal after appeal was ignored. Yet then later on testing showed they couldn't have done it. Better to have the maximum penalty to be life in prison, so at least we have the chance to correct the mistakes as much as we can.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's too much weight to put on the cops. Lets say that an understanding like that would never be abused, that there would never be a video of that cop gunning down the dude running away like the one in the other thread. It's still too much weight to put on the cops. Summary execution is not their responsibility.

Wasn't there a guy out in california 6-12 months ago that was wanted, he took off, posted a manifesto to the internet, and they found him a few days later holed up in a cabin somewhere? The cops brought out the swat team and burned him alive? I seem to remember that, but don't remember his name. Sometimes the cops save the taxpayers some money. But it's not their responsibility. That guy just wasn't going to be taken alive. It's also not their responsibility to zerg him so that he can be taken alive.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Dorner. The fucktards of the lapd also nearly killed 3 innocent people when they shot at random vehicles because the stupid fucks were scared shitless of a lone black guy.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Dorner. The fucktards of the lapd also nearly killed 3 innocent people when they shot at random vehicles because the stupid fucks were scared shitless of a lone black guy.
But he could have been in ANY of those pickup trucks!

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Not all prison systems are plagued by overpopulation and violence as not all societies made an industry of jailing people (an industry that is growing thanks to intense lobbying for harsher sentencing). Anyway, a prison system can always get better, while, no matter how you sugarcoat it, an execution system always end up with the state killing people.
Paradoxically, it's the fact that we use common law and that everyone gets the reasonable doubt standard even for minor crimes that results in our high incarceration rate.

There aren't near enough judicial resources to prove every single minor crime beyond a reasonable doubt. In Europe, they usually solve this problem by creating a second court system for smaller crimes where both the burden of proof and sentencing powers are drastically reduced. That lets them dispense with small shit quickly even if the guy wants to fight it.

This would be grossly unconstitutional in the US, so we resort to plea bargains to reduce the load. This lets the state send you to prison without a trial at all.

In Europe, while you might get a shitty trial, you still get a trial. So the prosecutor can't threaten you with 20 years then offer you a plea bargain of 6 months. There's also no bail in Europe, which is also a great way to railroad tons of poor people into prison. Can't make bail? Cop a plea and get 2 years in prison where you're actually with other people, or spend 9 months in solitary confinement waiting for your trial, then risk getting sentenced to 10 years. What do you think everyone picks?

Fun fact: In some places in the US, if you're poor, being acquitted will result in more jail time than taking a plea. In addition to having to wait in jail for your trial, they will also bill you the cost of your confinement after you get out, and you go back to jail if you don't pay. Technically they're not supposed to jail you if you're indigent and can't pay, but if they're hard up for money they often don't bother to do so. Ferguson was doing exactly this.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Paradoxically, it's the fact that we use common law and that everyone gets the reasonable doubt standard even for minor crimes that results in our high incarceration rate.

There aren't near enough judicial resources to prove every single minor crime beyond a reasonable doubt. In Europe, they usually solve this problem by creating a second court system for smaller crimes where both the burden of proof and sentencing powers are drastically reduced. That lets them dispense with small shit quickly even if the guy wants to fight it.

This would be grossly unconstitutional in the US, so we resort to plea bargains to reduce the load. This lets the state send you to prison without a trial at all.

In Europe, while you might get a shitty trial, you still get a trial. So the prosecutor can't threaten you with 20 years then offer you a plea bargain of 6 months. There's also no bail in Europe, which is also a great way to railroad tons of poor people into prison. Can't make bail? Cop a plea and get 2 years in prison where you're actually with other people, or spend 9 months in solitary confinement waiting for your trial, then risk getting sentenced to 10 years. What do you think everyone picks?

Fun fact: In some places in the US, if you're poor, being acquitted will result in more jail time than taking a plea. In addition to having to wait in jail for your trial, they will also bill you the cost of your confinement after you get out, and you go back to jail if you don't pay. Technically they're not supposed to jail you if you're indigent and can't pay, but if they're hard up for money they often don't bother to do so. Ferguson was doing exactly this.
Common law has nothing to do with it. The entire legal system is just ass fucking backwards. Prosecutors as you said punish you for actually trying to seek a trial then you have to deal with the fact the state has unlimited resources to bring to bear on anyone who does go to trial.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
How do you suggest we clear the backlog of cases with no plea bargains? You already wait a year for a felony trial even with them. Get rid of plea bargains and they'd have to stop prosecuting misdemeanors entirely, there would never be enough court time to hear the cases.

The fact that you're entitled to a jury trial for even small crimes means that shit like this is mandatory. The state cannot afford to empanel a 12 person jury and hold a full trial for every single "minor" crime.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Yeah that kind of happens when you criminalize every possible thing you can. End the retarded war on drugs and legalize prostitution and gambling and boom you dont have to worry about packed courts and long trail times.

Of course those type of laws are essentially the largest and most convoluted works program in the country so its probably not gonna happen. Cops fight tooth and nail to make sure retarded laws like marijuana prohibition stay so they have job security.

Also why not build more courts? You always hear we need more cops and we need more prisons but why dont we get more judges/prosecutor/public defenders?

Its all fucking corrupt.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Yeah that kind of happens when you criminalize every possible thing you can. End the retarded war on drugs and legalize prostitution and gambling and boom you dont have to worry about packed courts and long trail times.

Of course those type of laws are essentially the largest and most convoluted works program in the country so its probably not gonna happen. Cops fight tooth and nail to make sure retarded laws like marijuana prohibition stay so they have job security.

Also why not build more courts? You always hear we need more cops and we need more prisons but why dont we get more judges/prosecutor/public defenders?

Its all fucking corrupt.
90 to 95 percent of criminal charges in the US result in a plea bargain. You want us to build 20 times as many courts as we have now and report for jury duty once every two weeks rather than once a year?

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
While the LAPD is a shitty police force, that lone black man was an LAPD officer himself and had already killed four people (and they were LAPD too, I think).
Go back and read some details surrounding those shootings. The cops did mag dumps at the first sign of something on four wheels, twice. The vehicles they shot at looked nothing like Dorner's. If you wherent a cop and opened fire on someone/something in a similar situation your ass would be going to federal pound me in the ass prison for 20 years.
90 to 95 percent of criminal charges in the US result in a plea bargain. You want us to build 20 times as many courts as we have now and report for jury duty once every two weeks rather than once a year?
I just said build few more courts so you arent waiting year+ for a trial. I assume half the reason prosecutors hammer people who go to trial is because they have so many and they would rather not go to trial over a dime bag so if you really wanna go for it theyve gonna punish you for it. You know, stereotypical vindictive human behavior.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Your Tax Dollars Paid for Boston Bomber's Family's Trip to U.S.

Survivors of the Boston Marathon bombing are outraged after learning that family members of convicted bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev were flown to the U.S., put up in a hotel and provided with extensive security - all paid for with taxpayer dollars.

"Fox and Friends Weekend" broke down the numbers, and they are shocking.

Anna Kooiman reported that it cost $2,500 per person to fly to the U.S. from Amsterdam, $200 per person a night at the hotel, $100,000 for round-the-clock security, plus lawyer fees.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Go back and read some details surrounding those shootings. The cops did mag dumps at the first sign of something on four wheels, twice. The vehicles they shot at looked nothing like Dorner's. If you wherent a cop and opened fire on someone/something in a similar situation your ass would be going to federal pound me in the ass prison for 20 years.
#homesafe

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I just said build few more courts so you arent waiting year+ for a trial. I assume half the reason prosecutors hammer people who go to trial is because they have so many and they would rather not go to trial over a dime bag so if you really wanna go for it theyve gonna punish you for it. You know, stereotypical vindictive human behavior.
Actually like 94% of criminal cases end in plea bargains, so it's not like the courts are clogged up because too many cases are going to lengthy trials.