Buying a car?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah my heated leather seats get really warm well before my engine even warms up enough to start blowing warm air during the Winter. My vehicle has black leather interior, and I've never noticed it to be uncofortably hot during the summer. It's not like oldschool vinyl seats that they put in cars back in the 70s and 80s, that shit would flat-out burn you if you sat on an area in shorts that had been in the sun for a while. I'd never even consider leather if I had pets or kids though, the majority of the time I've owned my car I've been single, no pets. After 6 years it still looks brand new.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We have this douche nozzle at my second job (supermarket, so think a kid in his early 20's working part time) that walked into a dealership and paid $13000 for a low 2000's Infiniti with 117k miles on it. Does the car look cool? I guess, maybe a little. Does it look like it's worth $13k? Hell no. The point is, this kid probably bought this car as a status symbol to look cool, but in the end he just looks like a douche. If he worked here and drove an older Mercedes he would look even douchier. The funny part is the dealership tried to sell him a brand new 2012/2013 Sentra for the exact same price and he refused.

I'm looking at getting a new car soon too. My 2002 Altima (3.5SE) has 180k miles on it and I'm starting to fear the worst. The last repair I did was simultaneous replacement of all 4 brake pads and rotors and a new radiator. That was about $1200 in the bucket that I didn't want to spend.

My fiance has a 2010 Civic that she bought brand new and it is a wonderful car. It has absolutely 0 pickup which is to be expected. I mean, when you merge on to the highway be prepared to spend 2 minutes trying to accelerate to 65mph. Gas mileage is really good for her commute, she typically fills it up once every 2 weeks or so (doesn't drive far). We've had it for almost 3 years now and have never had to do anything to it at all except replace one tire. She ran over a nail and drove on it flat all day (women
frown.png
). Point is, we bought an economical car brand new and have reaped the benefits of it ever since. I would feel much better driving around a brand new civic than some Mercedes or Infiniti or whatever.

I'm debating between a few cars. Originally I was looking at the new Altima's, but I don't think I can justify their price. They drive great, but I've had some problems with my 2002 that I really don't want to have to deal with. For awhile I had a couple of o2 sensors go every summer. I'm also looking into a new Accord.. I used to own one and the thing was a tank. The price is a bit higher than the Civic, but I am a large dude and my fiance's civic is way too small for me. No one can sit behind me when I drive that car. Subaru's also are looking nice, but I'm not really that knowledgable as to how affordable and reliable they are, maybe an Impreza would do the trick.

On this topic, do most car dealerships allow you to buy a lease out at the end instead of paying overage costs if you go over the allotted miles? For instance, my fiance will be 4k miles over the 36k that she should have driven.. will the dealership most likely allow her to just buyout the car and skip the mileage costs? It's something I am considering because I may end up travelling long distances to work.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
If you park in a warm garage like a normal person they aren't hot or cold like that. Its only if you leave your car outside all the time that they'll get hot from the sun or cold from the winter. And the heated seats get hot very quickly.
Most normal people that live in apartments don't have garages.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I don't heat my garage, but since it is well insulated it's probably never below 40 degrees in winter or above 90 degrees in summer. The rest of the house attached to it and above it keeps the temp fairly regulated. A detached, stand-alone garage probably gets damn hot or cold, but still not quite as bad as the outdoors I'd imagine(no direct sun or wind is big)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Cad is full of shit. Even if I had a garage I know my wife would scoop it because female.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
What City, State was that?

Also since when does someone heat/air condition their garage?
MN.

And heated garages are pretty common here. Mine in my house has a heater in it, but the masonry for the fireplace is also between the house and the garage, so in the winter when the FP is used a lot, it's never below freezing out there. I only turn it on when I need to work out there.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Cad is full of shit. Even if I had a garage I know my wife would scoop it because female.
My next door neighbor is a single girl, has to park in her driveway because her 2-car garage is full of so much shit. I see her out there in the winter scraping the ice off her windshield. If you're single with a normal sized home and you STILL have to fill up the garage with shit, you have too much shit.

My wife always gets pissed off. My idea of cleaning out a closet is to ditch half of the stuff in there. She just moves the clutter to a different spot.

/hijack off

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
You live further North than me, what's your opinion on Leather seats? I don't get the point of 'em Colder than cloth in the winter, Hotter than cloth in the summer.
Temperature doesn't really factor for me, personally. My car's generally parked inside 90% of the time, for one. For another, I have heated seats so cold isn't really an issue. Warm-wise, while it would be nice to have AC seats like some vehicles do (hell, my dad's Toyota Tundra did, which was awesome when I drove 15 hours to SW Montana, my balls were so dry) my interior is mostly off-white. So they don't get stupid hot in the summer.

Personally I prefer leather to cloth, if only for stain resistance and ease of cleaning. 4 years in and my interior looks brand new still. Although my bro had a similar cream leather in his X6 that his wife drove, and I think she wore raw denim jeans or something, because the driver's seat in it got fairly stained blue. He took it to a detailing place and they were able to get most of it out, but you could see that the seat didn't match the back rest anymore.

Voyce_sl said:
Also since when does someone heat/air condition their garage?
Most apartment buildings here, at least those built in the past 20 years, have underground parkades. Said parkades have to be heated because they have water and sanitary mains running in them. In warmer climates like Vancouver they don't necessarily heat them since it doesn't get cold enough to freeze shit, as long as it's insulated. But here you have to heat them. It doesn't get hot enough for long enough for heat to be a concern in the summer, although my parkade can be 25-30C for the better part of July/August.

Otherwise, at my office we have a 6 car private garage that my bro and I store our cars/bikes in, along with camping shit etc. Again not air conditioned, but not necessary.

Otherwise pretty much all single family houses here have attached or detached double garages. Many aren't heated, but so long as they're insulated they don't get too cold. That said, it seems like 75% of people are such disorganized packrat morons that they can't park a single vehicle inside.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
My next door neighbor is a single girl, has to park in her driveway because her 2-car garage is full of so much shit. I see her out there in the winter scraping the ice off her windshield. If you're single with a normal sized home and you STILL have to fill up the garage with shit, you have too much shit.

My wife always gets pissed off. My idea of cleaning out a closet is to ditch half of the stuff in there. She just moves the clutter to a different spot.
/hijack off
Completely agree in that respect, but growing up in a 60ish year old dutch-slpit 50's type house my parents garage has always been freezing. It would still be much better than having to scrape the car if they'd use it for it's correct purpose.

Besides the cold/heat, I've always found cloth to be more comfortable. I bought my current car used, happened to be an upgrade so it came with leather. Have to say, it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm sure it's a low quality leather, but besides the hot/cold factor, it's just doesn't feel comfortable, and doesn't really add to the cool factor for me either. They are just seats after all.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Haha 2 or 3 car garage what
Like there's any chance a 2 car garage is holding 2 cars in it once I set up my forge and everything else.

Only reason my wife would get nough space for one car in our garage is because I'd want to have enough space to work on the cars themselves.

As for 3 car garages, not all of us are fancy pants lawyers buying giant houses!

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Otherwise pretty much all single family houses here have attached or detached double garages. Many aren't heated, but so long as they're insulated they don't get too cold. That said, it seems like 75% of people are such disorganized packrat morons that they can't park a single vehicle inside.
The guy across the street told my wife at the mailbox one day that we need to keep our garage door closed. And it wasn't for some reason like security...it was because the lack of clutter and white walls was making everyone else look bad.

Well, don't be packrats. Not my problem! I've got a Ram 1500 in mine, with plenty of room for the wife's car, and we've still got the totes of seasonal stuff out of sight in there. Fuck scraping windshields.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Like there's any chance a 2 car garage is holding 2 cars in it once I set up my forge and everything else.

Only reason my wife would get nough space for one car in our garage is because I'd want to have enough space to work on the cars themselves.

As for 3 car garages, not all of us are fancy pants lawyers buying giant houses!
Well I dunno dude, I have 2 cars in mine. I wish I could get a 3 car garage but the lots big enough for 3 car garage houses are like 1.5M+ where I live...

If your priority is to get your forge and shit in there (??) then I guess you've got your priorities...

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I live in the street next to my work place, so I walk there

I still use the employee parking garage in the winter to park my car there because my appartment doesn't have a garage.

Dis

Confirmed Male
I live in the street next to my work place, so I walk there

I still use the employee parking garage in the winter to park my car there because my appartment doesn't have a garage.
I used to live across the street from where I worked. Let me tell you something, fucking heaven. Low stress (no rush hour), save money, low miles on car. Then I got paid a lot more money and decided to move further out of the city. Oh wellz, merica.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Probably because tires don't cost that much. I've owned Lexus and now BMW's for 15+ years and if a set of tires cost me $2800 and it wasn't ferrari sizes or I wasn't tipping the guy $1500, I'd make a face too. What the fuck kind of tires are you selling? I put a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports on recently in 19's and they cost me like $1200, installed. What the fuck man?

Yea alignments usually cost $1500. Even if it had bent control arms those don't cost that much.

I see now why people make those faces at you. You're ripping them off!
2010 cls550 2554018 F 2853518 R - $1722 after tax Pilot Sports

2007 M5 (didnt note size but stock) Pilot Sport A/S $1560, runflats $250ish more per tire.

2012(I think) GLK550 2355019 $1214 for mid range Michelin I forgot to note model.

Prices don't include road hazard coverage. Just on the rim and out the door. That took 5min (and I half assed it)but I was not going to bother with front ends. Because you're fucking retarded. Replacing U and L arms on a TON of vehicles can easily hit $1500. Had a ford expedition in last week, 8.8 hours labor to do all four. Labor rates vary by shop as do the type of parts used. Parts can vary from $80 to $300 per control arm depending on brand, source, and application. It's not uncommon to have someone buy some piece of shit used and need BJ's/CArms replaced because they were to stupid or ignorant to have the car checked out before they bought it. I see it at least once a month.

My examples were deliberately on the high end because if you don't check those things out it's what you can end up with fag.