Camelot Unchained MMO

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Essentially the game is banking on Mark Jacob's name and his ties to DAOC. That's about it.

They also made their own engine.

You can read all their design plans on their website if that does it for you.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Essentially the game is banking on Mark Jacob's name and his ties to DAOC. That's about it.

They also made their own engine.

You can read all their design plans on their website if that does it for you.
Draegan didn't do 1000 interweb interviews with the CU people. SO FUCK YOU GUYS WANTING TO KNOW SHIT! NERDS!

Reht

Molten Core Raider
if you don't want to read it all, you can watch all of the stuff they stream during the "bat shit crazy" days during which they revealed and explained much of the information in the design docs.

Twitch

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
if you don't want to read it all, you can watch all of the stuff they stream during the "bat shit crazy" days during which they revealed and explained much of the information in the design docs.

Twitch
Exactly. We have this thing called the internet that lets you learn all kinds of stuff when you use it. That way, if you don't want to go through pages of the same old shit on this forum, then you just go to the source. That Al Gore sure was smart.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

Twitch
Exactly. We have this thing called the internet that lets you learn all kinds of stuff when you use it. That way, if you don't want to go through pages of the same old shit on this forum, then you just go to the source. That Al Gore sure was smart.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So sell me on this game... I want to like it.
I don't think this is as unfair a question as some others, but it's impossible to answer concisely without a lot of information about you and what you like in MMOs. Since it'd take less time for you to learn about this MMO as it would for us to learn about you, you may as well just go read about the MMO and decide yourself.

bizzy2010_sl

shitlord
Never been a fan of Mark Jacobs, but I loved the hell out of DAoC and I wasn't it's biggest fan out of the gate - it grew on me. The game had a lot of problems and some obvious flaws at release, but most games do.

I think it peaked for me during the Dred servers when I played with Combine on Andred. I know it's an RvR game, but it was the most fun I ever had in All vs All PvP, which includes Shadowbane (if the server stability upon launch was better, I might have ranked it higher than DAoC). Game sure as hell wasn't perfect, but it was good - till ToA.

Some ex-Combine and myself have been watching this game, but after being jaded by so many MMOs offering meaningful PvP over the years, we're not getting our hopes up. If no other game has gotten our attention by the time this launches, I would say some of us will give it a whirl.

Yeah, it sounds like a disaster, but I would hope that "feature" gets fixed along the road toward completion. They've got time, but that doesn't mean they'll use it efficiently.
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread about the game. Unfortunately, i cannot really correct the wrong information because as an IT tester i would be breaking the NDA, and i know they are very hardcore about people outside of IT/Alpha discussing the game.

A few things i think i can comment on are.

The spells are not infinitely ranged. Active dodging works.Meaning, if you stand still. You will be hit. If you move out of the way, they will miss you. There may be a time or two you don't get out of the way, but remember the game is very basic now, there is no stats added or subtracted to effect right now. It really is barebones as it was shown. As announced by Mark and echo'd by a lot of the CSE people, now that the based tech is in place, they expect to churn out the stuff that makes this a game over the next quarter. If you want to judge the game because the art doesn't fit you, then so be it,or how it looks and plays now in very early alpha, well i'd say stay tuned. Did you see what daoc looked like in alpha?
smile.png
I can show a screenshot if you've forgotten, it's horrible.

Crowfall has very cartoony graphics, that's a put off for myself. I have a Alpha 1 or 2 for crowfall (whatever the $150 is). I would say i am more pro CU then CF simply because i do not like the non persistent nature of Crowfall. Still unsure why it's even in the MMORPG sub forum here? Is it a moba? a Mmorpg (how?)? A ladder game? Doesn't make much sense.

I am definitely more Pro FFA then RvR. But, Mark's publicly said if there is the players there for FFA he'll do it. If not? Maybe he can do what Guild wars 2 failed to do . Do RvR correctly since DAOC. What better option do we have? Crowfall? Unity has time and time again shown that it doesn't do large battles (FPS wise) very well. We'll see
smile.png
But then again i'm more of a CU fanboy i guess.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think the problem is everyone is tired of hearing placeholder. We have heard this time and time again alone with animation pass and shit usually ends up still being ass. Crowfall looked more impressive before being funded then CU does right now.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't mind seeing some alpha vs release DAoC screenshots. My perception right now is that the placeholder art in alphas are generally what we get at release.

bizzy2010_sl

shitlord
I think the problem is everyone is tired of hearing placeholder. We have heard this time and time again alone with animation pass and shit usually ends up still being ass. Crowfall looked more impressive before being funded then CU does right now.
Crowfall also had 2 million dollars invested and was being worked on before the kickstarter funded. If the kickstarter had failed, the game still would of been made. Until the last week of the CU kickstarter, It was all or nothing with them. The last week of the kickstarter Mark decided with all the community interest if it didn't fund, he'd try somehow else. But, before that.If it wasn't funded it was not being made.

Additionally, there is a difference when you're buying a engine already built for your game, opposed to building one from the ground up. And adding a building system itself into it, from the ground up. I can only imagine it's a lot of work, or why else would developers buy engines pre built? Eg.. Unity

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Crowfall is an MMO for sure characters are persistent but campaigns world's aren't. Honestly it's exactly like WOW expansions if you think about it abstractly. Ever few weeks years the game resets and all your gear is worthless and the old world is forgotten. I know I'm stretching things here, but it's an interesting thought.

bizzy2010_sl

shitlord
Crowfall is an MMO for sure characters are persistent but campaigns world's aren't. Honestly it's exactly like WOW expansions if you think about it abstractly. Ever few weeks years the game resets and all your gear is worthless and the old world is forgotten. I know I'm stretching things here, but it's an interesting thought.
And pretty accurate
smile.png

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Granted it was during the KS and he was going on like zero sleep and he might not of had the full design of the game in mind. Lots could not changed since then.