Car Buying Help

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
There is nothing more expensive than an old German car. They are nice cars but just be aware of how expensive repairs and stuff like new breaks will be on a Mercedes. I used to drive a BMW 3 series and have sworn off owning a German car ever again.
Even the oil change for VW is $120.

For Jetta.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Really thinking of getting a ford focus RS instead of subaru WRX STI.

Never thought I would say such a thing but on paper the RS is pretty amazing for 36K or so.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Focus RS is way better than an STI. Unfortunately similar to the Mustang GT350R you wont find a dealer selling a Focus RS for sticker. They come in closer to 45k with dealer mark up. And getting your hand on one with be a lot of work.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Nah you can get them at this point unless you're in California I'm sure. Friend just picked one up last month. He loves it so far.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I work for a dealership overlord and if it is in stock they have to sell it to me for something like 2k over purchased price if new on luxury models. Tuesday I will run the report to see what we have in the country.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
So my Scion xB is getting up there (2008 model) and is starting to have issues. The driver seat is loose and Toyota can't fix it. The whole thing has to be replaced. Their estimate is just under a grand all told.

In addition to this, the roof is dinged to hell and little things like the brakes and tires are going to need replacing soon.

It's got around $65k miles on it.

They were thinking I could trade it in for 3-4K.

My dad recently passed and apparently he liked me more than I thought so I'm thinking about saying fuck if and trading in my car and getting a Subaru Forester (or maybe the outback? Whichever is the bigger one).

Anyone drive one? Like it? Any options worth looking into?

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
So I'm in the market, again, and looking at leasing this time. I've never leased before, but I figure, I rarely keep a car for more than 5 years, so why not have a new one every 36 months. So i'm looking at the Subaru Forester lease, 36 months, $0 down, $259 per month, 12k miles per year. Any catches here I should be aware of? If they don't have the specific model for that special (Standard 2.5i Premium model), does the special offer usually apply to other models?

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Those don't typically apply to other models, but you won't actually pay $259. Sales tax on the purchase price and such will get rolled into that payment. Then they're going to nitpick at turn in and hit you with a ridiculous bill.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
So my car was totalled, I need a new car.
It can be a 1-2 year old car. Is carmax anygood?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
So my car was totalled, I need a new car.
It can be a 1-2 year old car. Is carmax anygood?
I briefly flirted with carmax last year while looking for a new car, wasn't impressed. I remember seeing a C250 at Carfax for a higher price than a C250 at the dealership better equipped with less mileage. And you can haggle at the dealership.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Do Honda's Accord require more maintenance than Toyota's equivalent cars? I was reading they require more maintenance stuff. I am basically looking for car to last me 15 years. My old 2005 corolla lasted 13 years before been rear ended, and never gave me any issues.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Do Honda's Accord require more maintenance than Toyota's equivalent cars? I was reading they require more maintenance stuff. I am basically looking for car to last me 15 years. My old 2005 corolla lasted 13 years before been rear ended, and never gave me any issues.
I think Toyota is still king as far as maintenance and longevity go but Honda shouldn't be too far. The better question is, why does seven figure lendarios want to ride around in a Honda?

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
  1. As far as price goes, CarMax adjusts their price from the lowest and the highest which means you are getting a fair market retail value.
  2. You can get the most out of franchised dealership, especially lets say Mercedes dealership selling a Honda or BMW selling a hyundai. They want those eyesores out of the dealership. They don't like vehicles that far below certain price profit margins and they would rather keep high profit inventory like BMW than say hyundai. Each lot space is money. They must gogogo.
  3. Toyota retail price for a year or two year old vehicle are stupid high and it is actually better to just buy a brand new.... If we were talking about domestic or Korean vehicles, it might be a different story.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
  1. As far as price goes, CarMax adjusts their price from the lowest and the highest which means you are getting a fair market retail value.
  2. You can get the most out of franchised dealership, especially lets say Mercedes dealership selling a Honda or BMW selling a hyundai. They want those eyesores out of the dealership. They don't like vehicles that far below certain price profit margins and they would rather keep high profit inventory like BMW than say hyundai. Each lot space is money. They must gogogo.
  3. Toyota retail price for a year or two year old vehicle are stupid high and it is actually better to just buy a brand new.... If we were talking about domestic or Korean vehicles, it might be a different story.
do you drive a Daewoo trollface?