Car Buying Help

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hekotat Hekotat you can fit a 2JZ in a Miata? Holy power to weight batman! (though you have to drive the least masculine car on the planet)

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
3k is what I would like my "initial investment" to be. AKA: Bring home a shell for that price. I'm not scared of a swap, but I'm looking for a simpler swap. AKA Dropping a small block into a muscle car style swap, as opposed to the fucking honda shit I used to do. Do you know how much of a PITA it is to fucking rewire the entire harness cause fuck Honda? I do.

I think I may've worded things a bit wrong, given your responses;

Looking to bring home my base car, the titled thing for 3k.
Sky's the limit from there in budget; I'll work out a monthly and stick to it, buying parts as I go.
Fairly simple, handles good, half-decent power.

Okay, that makes more sense.

So you stated that you wanted a good handling car so to me that throws out classic muscle, not to mention I don't think you're even going to find a rolling chassis of a 69 Camaro for less than 10k unless you have the hook up. I'm also assuming you want RWD, because that's the only drive that matters. I guess you could go AWD but they are heavy and that's just more shit to break.

As for cheap swaps, you aren't going to get much cheaper than an LS1 swap. It's like injector wires and dizzy and that's about it, plus the aftermarket support is unrivaled for any other platform. If I was starting from scratch that's the route I'd go.

Pricing wise

LS1 1k to 3k
Mount kit ranged from 500 to 2k (some come with drive shafts and other options)
Wiring kit 700-2k (Plug and play)

So, roughly 2k and you've got a 400hp 240sx. Pricing of course would vary depending on starting platform, I used 204sx as a baseline. There are also lots of chassis out there for sub 1k with no engines, if you're patient.

To be clear, I was just listing common engine swaps for common cars, sure there are other options missing and there may be something I didn't even list you're interested in. I definitely wouldn't go with a rust bucket if you can't weld and I'd ensure working suspension for relocating moving, etc.

E30 (1JZ, 2JZ, LS1, S54)
Miata (LS1, Ford equivalent see monster miata)
240SX (2JZ, LS1)
SC300 (LS1, 2JZ)
FC (LS1, 2JZ)
AE86 (LS1, 2JZ) only if you can modify like a motherfucker.

I got curious about the 2jz Miata, yes it looks like it's been done.

Hekotat

Don't they use a Miata frame to bolt on Ferrari and lambo fiberglass for kit cars?

The Miata frame is fucking amazing, it just sucks most of them look horrible. This most recent one is the only one I would consider purchasing.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
If you want an LS1 miata why not just buy a C5 corvette? The short wheelbase on the miata means it will never get the power down, it'll be a burnout machine.

Wintermute

<Charitable Administrator>
If you want an LS1 miata why not just buy a C5 corvette? The short wheelbase on the miata means it will never get the power down, it'll be a burnout machine.
Because the Miata combo will be 30k cheaper I bet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wintermute

Spotted the guy who hasn't checked C5 prices lately.
Yeah that's true. I forgot that was an older model.

Personally I would go the Miata route with some fiberglass kit because I think Corvettes might be the ugliest car out there.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah that's true. I forgot that was an older model.

Personally I would go the Miata route with some fiberglass kit because I think Corvettes might be the ugliest car out there.

Dude they are talking about E30's and 240SX's and miatas. And all of those kit car miata body kits look like total ass.

But a C5 project car could look like this:

So ugly.

maxresdefault.jpg

Wintermute

I hate it! We like what we like. This is what I want.

1968-chevrolet-camaro-z28-right.jpg

Speaking of I want to buy one by May. Anyone know the best way to track down a nice '68 Camaro?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Oh I'm sorry, I thought he was talking about sports cars. Carry on with your old pieces of shit.

• 1Like

Wintermute

Yea when I think sporty, drivers car I really think 60's muscle cars.
I don't either but I didn't suggest he buy one. I said I don't like corvettes and you linked a photo of yet another ugly corvette. I then said we all like what we like and then I showed you what I liked. I then asked if anyone had advice on tracking one down.

Hekotat

LOL Cad, you fucking asshole. We can't all be lawyers rolling around in C5 vettes and 911 Porsches while banging our trophy wives in Highland Park. he said he wanted a shell for 3k, I threw out some options that I know of for that price.

Can you even get a C5 for 3k? Looks like the cheapest I see on craigslist is 8,500.

• 1Solidarity

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
LOL Cad, you fucking asshole. We can't all be lawyers rolling around in C5 vettes and 911 Porsches while banging our trophy wives in Highland Park. he said he wanted a shell for 3k, I threw out some options that I know of for that price.

Can you even get a C5 for 3k? Looks like the cheapest I see on craigslist is 8,500.

I mean, almost certainly not, just saying if you want an LS1 sports car why fuck around, get the one designed for it. LS1 miatas are fun and I've driven an LS1 240SX and it's a hoot, but it doesn't get the power down well at all. If you want a drift car I guess thats fine. Otherwise it's a burnout machine. And the cost of transplanting an LS1 into a shitbox vs. getting an LS1 for free along with the corvette is something to consider.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Nothing to contribute to the project car discussion, but I was wondering whether you guys buy used cars at dealerships, used car lots, or from private parties. I have been shopping for a half-ton pickup for a vacation/going to town vehicle and it seems like the dealerships are $2-5K higher for the same model/age/miles. Of course this is only asking price and you never know how much they will be willing to come down but it seems pretty dramatic, and the straight used car lots seem cheaper than the dealerships as well. I'm sure there are horror stories but I think that the amount that a dealership is willing to stand behind a used car is fairly low so it seems to me that buying direct from the owner is a better way to go although it's a big hassle in this area because you can have to travel a long ways to look at them.

Any thoughts? Dealership, used car lot, or Craigslist/Ebay direct from the owner on a used car?

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
It depends how you're buying the car.

Have a trade in? Dealership
Need to finance without a trade in? Used Car Lot
Paying cash and feel comfortable knowing what you're looking at? Private buyer.

Hekotat

I mean, almost certainly not, just saying if you want an LS1 sports car why fuck around, get the one designed for it. LS1 miatas are fun and I've driven an LS1 240SX and it's a hoot, but it doesn't get the power down well at all. If you want a drift car I guess thats fine. Otherwise it's a burnout machine. And the cost of transplanting an LS1 into a shitbox vs. getting an LS1 for free along with the corvette is something to consider.

That's part of the project car experience, doing it your self and getting that extremely satisfying feeling when you complete it or finish a section. It's a very rewarding feeling.

I would prefer to buy from a private seller, but I'm extremely methodical. If it still has a warranty and is fairly new you can save thousands buying from a private seller. I don't have that kind of scratch lying around so I just stick to dealerships for used and send them an offer via email, fuck going up there and getting hassled.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
That's part of the project car experience, doing it your self and getting that extremely satisfying feeling when you complete it or finish a section. It's a very rewarding feeling.

I don't enjoy doing this:

blog_money_fire.jpg