Car Buying Help

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
By Daewoo you mean GM no bro. I drive 2014 BMW F80 M3. Got about 80,000km on it after two years. Shits so good.

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Looking at buying a VW Golf-R. Anyone have any experience? Seems like a lot of fun and honestly slipped under my radar as I wasn't on the market for a new vehicle.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Weighs a lot more than it should. Rode around in my friend's Golf-R in the UK and it was pretty damn peppy though. Problem I have with VW is they have crept up to BMW / Audi prices. VW is not of the same caliber in my opinion.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My brother and sister in law had a Passat and had a lot of problems with it. They have told me that they won't buy another VW. Don't have details though, sorry.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Looking at buying a VW Golf-R. Anyone have any experience? Seems like a lot of fun and honestly slipped under my radar as I wasn't on the market for a new vehicle.

I like vw for a higher end interior than a wrx/evo. But the true r was the v6 beast. Not slapping awd in a gti and adding 10k to sticker. I think you missed the boat because current one is over weight, over priced.. And honestly while i don't care about environment stuff, if you read the stuff as far as knowingly lying and hiding stuff and fucking over lower employees in kinda angry at vw corporate.

Loved my 08 r32, but many had fuel line boiling issues because engine area too cramped and hottter in much of us than europe. So got vapor lock type symptoms of you drive long in the summer.

Just build a race truck :)

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I actually own a 2011 TDI at the moment and the buyback is retarded. I currently have 160,000 miles on it (still drives like new) and had intended on keeping it over 300,000 but they are offering me $16,600 for it. Considerably more than I was expecting to get back and since there aren't any other decent diesel options on the market (in this size vehicle), at least that I have found, I figured fuck it why not get a pepped up Golf. Looked at the GTI and then noticed the R.

I was also looking at the WRX, but really had no complaints with my current Golf so was leaning more towards it. The AWD and Dynamic Chassis Control both seemed like they would make it fun to drive.

I do agree with the feedback so far that it'll end up too heavy for a true rally car; just looking for something to make the drive to work more fun while remaining semi-practical.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Have a 2015 WRX. It is fun.. but there really is only so much fun you can have on normal roads. Was in a fender bender a couple weeks ago and while in a rental Hyundai I noticed there is very little difference in my commute where the power and speed of the WRX made a big difference while doing daily driving. Consider saving the money and just getting the GTI, the additional power of the R wont make that much of a difference most the time to justify the price.

On a side note, I am considering now getting rid of my WRX and getting either a VW Alltrack or a Jeep Wrangler since I do a lot of camping and backpacking and would be nice to have a car that I can take on harder off road situations such as in Death Valley.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Have a 2015 WRX. It is fun.. but there really is only so much fun you can have on normal roads. Was in a fender bender a couple weeks ago and while in a rental Hyundai I noticed there is very little difference in my commute where the power and speed of the WRX made a big difference while doing daily driving. Consider saving the money and just getting the GTI, the additional power of the R wont make that much of a difference most the time to justify the price.

On a side note, I am considering now getting rid of my WRX and getting either a VW Alltrack or a Jeep Wrangler since I do a lot of camping and backpacking and would be nice to have a car that I can take on harder off road situations such as in Death Valley.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Just get hyundai genesis koup and get your sport nonsense out of the way. Shit is not expensive like VW to fix in case your car goes bad and you are cover for 5yrs whatever mileage in states.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bang for your buck, the base GTi will be a much better purchase than the R. At that price level, you could get a C6Z06 if you wanted speed and handling, or a Lexus LS if you wanted luxury. Otherwise, like others have stated, the VW brand has risen in cost with a few of their models, that isn't in line with the materials still used, the amenities, or the performance. But, the standard GTi is still a hell of a deal.

Last edited:

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
With my newfound money, I intend to get a project car. Want to keep it kinda simple and on the cheaper side. More of a sporty, driver's car. Obviously it wont be ungodly fast.

Any suggestions? I'm pretty handy, but don't have a ton of time; Thus simple and cheaper. I'd rather get it road worthy faster and drive it til it blows up.

EDIT: I'm a bigger guy so would prefer something a bit bigger than a miata. I can't drive those things without feeling like I'm in a sardine can.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
What's your budget? How mechanically inclined are you? What are your tastes (Domestic, Euro, Japanese)?

Siliconemelons

Big_w you mentioned miata so you want a convertible? I enjoyed my time piddling around with my Mercedes 380SL and want to get another of that generation soon :) and I am 6 foot 8 inch tall and fit (with the soft top down or up, hardtop was a little neck bend)

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I would honestly not care either way in vert or not. My budget is probably 2500-3000 for the base vehicle, and will work from there; would prefer something that would not take 20k to get the body rust free. I'm a fan of older cars, don't give a shit of the nationality. Just want something that'll handle well and not bore me getting to 60.

Im VERY mechanically inclined; have been wrenching since I was 12. I'm a piss-poor welder though, so something that won't take fabrication is about my only limit.

Basically, i want to get something in decent body shape but maybe rough mechanically for the price, and build up suspension/motor to have fun in. Must be able to match my truck's 0-60 of 6.7 without a million dollars in a motor swap/massive motor mods.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Okay, so here's what I would do if looking into getting a project car.

1. find something you like style wise, usually best to pick 2-3 options (I'll explain why later).

2. Check aftermarket support, I would go with the most supported option. It has been a fucking nightmare trying to get the most simple items for my ae86 (Windshield seals, headlight switches, etc.)

3. Since you said you were a bigger guy I'd look into something with a kit you can buy to swap in something easy and powerful if it doesn't come with it already (ls1, 1jz, 2jz) or something that has good forced induction options as well as ECU's etc. I know you're thinking, naw, there's no way I would upgrade. BULLSHIT, you are going to blow the engine in that car because it's a project car and probably on it's last legs. Find an easy swap, don't go fucking crazy and do it and be done and drive it. One of my biggest mistakes was going way overboard on the build. At 7 years deep I almost threw in the towel because I forgot the joy I got form the car, at 8 years I drove it again and I was so glad I hadn't sold it. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID, words to fucking live by. Some of these options that I know have LS1/2JZ swaps readialy available are (280z, Miata, RX7 FC, 240sx, E30).

4. If you are really looking for a project for 3k, shit is not going to happen. If you're looking for a project you're going to spend a fuckload of money, period. Maybe not at once but over time it adds up, I'm currently at 27k invested in mine and it's still a pile of shit in comparison for what you think it would be at for that money. If you're really dead set on that being your target for cash then say fuck you to a project, save 2-3k more and buy something already done and just drive it until it explodes.

That's the best advice I can offer. I'd definitely buy something running and driving unless you're a highly motivated individual. I've seen hundreds of projects go to waste because of lazy fuckers, or they just didn't realize how much shit costs. If you have a wife, I also caution this venture. Otherwise, goodluck. I'd like to see what route you plan on going and we will welcome you to the "what vehicle do you drive" thread in SS to show off your progress.

I'm down to discuss more if you have more questions to bounce off me.

EDIT: Shit is full of all kinds of mistakes, I apologize and will try to clean it up later. I was trying to type it out as quickly as possible before going into a meeting.

Last edited:

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Okay, so here's what I would do if looking into getting a project car.

1. find something you like style wise, usually best to pick 2-3 options (I'll explain why later).

2. Check aftermarket support, I would go with the most supported option. It has been a fucking nightmare trying to get the most simple items for my ae86 (Windshield seals, headlight switches, etc.)

3. Since you said you were a bigger guy I'd look into something with a kit you can buy to swap in something easy and powerful if it doesn't come with it already (ls1, 1jz, 2jz) or something that has good forced induction options as well as ECU's etc. I know you're thinking, naw, there's no way I would upgrade. BULLSHIT, you are going to blow the engine in that car because it's a project car and probably on it's last legs. Find an easy swap, don't go fucking crazy and do it and be done and drive it. One of my biggest mistakes was going way overboard on the build. At 7 years deep I almost threw in the towel because I forgot the joy I got form the car, at 8 years I drove it again and I was so glad I hadn't sold it. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID, words to fucking live by. Some of these options that I know have LS1/2JZ swaps readialy available are (280z, Miata, RX7 FC, 240sx, E30).

4. If you are really looking for a project for 3k, shit is not going to happen. If you're looking for a project you're going to spend a fuckload of money, period. Maybe not at once but over time it adds up, I'm currently at 27k invested in mine and it's still a pile of shit in comparison for what you think it would be at for that money. If you're really dead set on that being your target for cash then say fuck you to a project, save 2-3k more and buy something already done and just drive it until it explodes.

That's the best advice I can offer. I'd definitely buy something running and driving unless you're a highly motivated individual. I've seen hundreds of projects go to waste because of lazy fuckers, or they just didn't realize how much shit costs. If you have a wife, I also caution this venture. Otherwise, goodluck. I'd like to see what route you plan on going and we will welcome you to the "what vehicle do you drive" thread in SS to show off your progress.

I'm down to discuss more if you have more questions to bounce off me.

EDIT: Shit is full of all kinds of mistakes, I apologize and will try to clean it up later. I was trying to type it out as quickly as possible before going into a meeting.

3k is what I would like my "initial investment" to be. AKA: Bring home a shell for that price. I'm not scared of a swap, but I'm looking for a simpler swap. AKA Dropping a small block into a muscle car style swap, as opposed to the fucking honda shit I used to do. Do you know how much of a PITA it is to fucking rewire the entire harness cause fuck Honda? I do.

I think I may've worded things a bit wrong, given your responses;

Looking to bring home my base car, the titled thing for 3k.
Sky's the limit from there in budget; I'll work out a monthly and stick to it, buying parts as I go.
Fairly simple, handles good, half-decent power.