Car ?'s

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Fill hole with epoxy and hit the area with sealant spray?

Without seeing it, it's hard to really have an opinion on the damage itself. If it was a small cut/puncture on the underside of my car, I probably wouldn't worry about it (since it's got a bunch of scrape marks under it already).

That said, I've taken the front clip off my car, and it wasn't tooooo difficult. Depending on the panel, it could be as little as 10 or so screws and maybe a few new specialty body clips (when you put it back on).

I think the proper repair would be to pull the panel off, then use some filler with a backing material to keep it in place, especially when its going to be taking some abuse, being under the car. There are a bunch of YouTube videos on doing body work. I also wouldn't worry about painting it unless you're looking to impress your mechanic, but if the repair is in heavy contrast and you think you will somehow see it, you could use a rattle can of plasti-dip, since it's 100% removable w/o marring.

This is what it looks like.

sideskirt.jpg

Burns

This is what it looks like.

View attachment 534220
Ah yea, not too big and a cut like that is probably better than puncture for getting a quick fix to stick. If you live in an area that uses road salts, you might still want to patch it soon-ish, otherwise if that was on my car, I probably would let it go until I'm doing another project under the car.

Since it's mostly a repair to keep salt and water from getting in there and sitting against metal, it doesn't need to be pretty or perfectly level. I don't have any of the old body repair videos bookmarked, but you could look around for some to see if they have something that looks easy-ish. Fiberglass boat repair videos would be applicable too.

For example: Here is a video on repairing screw holes in boats, but none of them are upside down. You might want to use some blue painters tape over the fiberglass filler putty, to keep it all in the hole. Although I'm not sure if this a good idea or not, depending on how much the putty flows due to gravity. Also shouldn't need to worry about sanding and all that, since it's hidden.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ah yea, not too big and a cut like that is probably better than puncture for getting a quick fix to stick. If you live in an area that uses road salts, you might still want to patch it soon-ish, otherwise if that was on my car, I probably would let it go until I'm doing another project under the car.

Since it's mostly a repair to keep salt and water from getting in there and sitting against metal, it doesn't need to be pretty or perfectly level. I don't have any of the old body repair videos bookmarked, but you could look around for some to see if they have something that looks easy-ish. Fiberglass boat repair videos would be applicable too.

For example: Here is a video on repairing screw holes in boats, but none of them are upside down. You might want to use some blue painters tape over the fiberglass filler putty, to keep it all in the hole. Although I'm not sure if this a good idea or not, depending on how much the putty flows due to gravity. Also shouldn't need to worry about sanding and all that, since it's hidden.

Yea we do have some salt usage when it gets bad but this car won't be driven in winter. So more just keeping stuff out. I think it's plastic not fiberglass so maybe bondo?

Burns

Yea we do have some salt usage when it gets bad but this car won't be driven in winter. So more just keeping stuff out. I think it's plastic not fiberglass so maybe bondo?
While I have a polypropylene bumper and have taken it off my car numerous times, I have never done any repairs directly too it. So my research/experience on it is limited. Without verifying the materials, I would think fiberglass filler would hold up better than classic bondo, but yea (after doing a quick search), if it's polypropylene then using specialty tools looks like it will be the longest lasting repair.

Two different repair techniques for poly panels:
Filler material:

Poly welding:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Years of paying for comprehensive coverage: No claims.
2 Months after dropping comprehensive coverage: Hail smashes my windshield in.

Fucking universe, man.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Got rear-ended pretty hard last night. Car was undamaged so we exchanged info and went on our way, but today I'm having back pains. Back pains are nothing new for me and come/go, but it's a lot worse than usual today and seems to be getting worse as the day goes on. Not a litigious person AT ALL and have no interest in such things, but if this gets worse and it turns out I actually got injured in some serious way, is it an insurance matter or a legal matter? I assume it'd be pending a doctor's inspection and determination that anything is actually wrong. And I'd much rather if it just got better on its own. Again, not interested in fucking someone over.

I should probably just stop driving cars entirely because they're 99 percent of my problems.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Got rear-ended pretty hard last night. Car was undamaged so we exchanged info and went on our way, but today I'm having back pains. Back pains are nothing new for me and come/go, but it's a lot worse than usual today and seems to be getting worse as the day goes on. Not a litigious person AT ALL and have no interest in such things, but if this gets worse and it turns out I actually got injured in some serious way, is it an insurance matter or a legal matter? I assume it'd be pending a doctor's inspection and determination that anything is actually wrong. And I'd much rather if it just got better on its own. Again, not interested in fucking someone over.

I should probably just stop driving cars entirely because they're 99 percent of my problems.
Ok so uhh doesn't really make sense, car being undamaged is not "rear ended pretty hard". Also if you think it hit you hard enough to actually affect your back.

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Ok so uhh doesn't really make sense, car being undamaged is not "rear ended pretty hard". Also if you think it hit you hard enough to actually affect your back.

I think we just lucked out and the shock was fully absorbed by the bumpers. Not even a cracked light. I did get knocked forward though, and my phone-holder dislodged from the dashboard which takes a lot. So it's a miracle that the cars somehow seemed unscathed. I will need to get the car checked by a mechanic though for any issues that aren't readily visible. The physical issues seem to be declining as the day goes on, so maybe I lucked out physically too, we'll see.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think we just lucked out and the shock was fully absorbed by the bumpers. Not even a cracked light. I did get knocked forward though, and my phone-holder dislodged from the dashboard which takes a lot. So it's a miracle that the cars somehow seemed unscathed. I will need to get the car checked by a mechanic though for any issues that aren't readily visible. The physical issues seem to be declining as the day goes on, so maybe I lucked out physically too, we'll see.
well i guess youre gonna buy a front and rear dash cam next

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I think we just lucked out and the shock was fully absorbed by the bumpers. Not even a cracked light.
I got rear ended a few years ago while stopped at a light and the only damage appeared to be cosmetic. Once I took it in to a shop, they found a bunch of internal damage done to the bumper and parts had to be replaced in addition to the bodywork. Just because you don't see the damage doesn't mean it's not there. The insurance for the guy who hit me paid out over $2K to fix it all.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ok. I mean I always get police statement and call insurance if it's on roadway. Want to have ducks in a row.

Especially with medical. The longer you wait to report it the worst it's going to be if there genuinely is an issue with the car or you. IMO

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

Its through insurance - they will do the medical injury claim - I have dealt with dealing with the "other persons" insurance twice successfully - but it was just for the car and stuff, no long standing injury stuff- that is where it gets even more tricky and convoluted than dealing with the car repair, rental and diminished value claims.

If you do not have a police report, it is going to be hard to get the other party to accept liability and you most likely will then fall upon your insurance...then it is kinda... how do you want to go about it? Also, I am sure there is some sort of 1800 411pain type group wherever you are, you can do that route.

You can just do medical, but once they know its of a recent accident, the insurances will all try and get someone else to pony up etc. and the cycle of crazy will still happen.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ok. I mean I always get police statement and call insurance if it's on roadway. Want to have ducks in a row.

Especially with medical. The longer you wait to report it the worst it's going to be if there genuinely is an issue with the car or you. IMO
you always hear stories of "i got into a fender bender, we was all cool, then 2months later i'm being sued for medical bills"

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Yeah for sure. I guess it's good to call the cops and have them come to a report even if it appears at the time that the cars are un-damaged and no one was injured. I do have multiple witnesses at least if the girl tries to deny it (which I doubt, we already talked it over).

Got the car inspected, there was a bit of damage that I didn't see where the bumper panel got dislodged a bit from the rear door's panel. They re-attached it fairly quickly. The bumper itself is also a bit scraped. Still, all things considered, we got off real light.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah for sure. I guess it's good to call the cops and have them come to a report even if it appears at the time that the cars are un-damaged and no one was injured. I do have multiple witnesses at least if the girl tries to deny it (which I doubt, we already talked it over).

Got the car inspected, there was a bit of damage that I didn't see where the bumper panel got dislodged a bit from the rear door's panel. They re-attached it fairly quickly. The bumper itself is also a bit scraped. Still, all things considered, we got off real light.
They took a look at the frame back/down/under there? Very possible to miss that kind of stuff w/out putting the car up on a lift.

• 1Truth!