Castlevania

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it sounds pretty bad. Make a show based on something beloved that numerous people are gonna be looking forward to, then go Full Steam Panderverse with changing the story.

Siliconemelons

Still have not /watched an episode/ but I re-watched the 1st seasons Castlevania attack w/ Blood Tears remix, and it was still just so darn good... then I watched the later season of the first one and noticed the animation took a sharp hit... it most likely was gradual.. but I think it was season 2? to 4 and wow... so I got draw into watching some of Nocturne's fights... nowhere near that first 2 or 3 seasons quality of the first Castlevania anime... mabye like the final seasons, but the animation was just not as good.

Magic bird attacks was funny.

I guess I will spoiler this...no idea where it happens in the show.

Mo Farken Orlox (like, a high ranking vamp right there with camilla etc.) kills Richter's mom, then is like "I wont kill you now boy", W...T...F... First, you just offed the main BELMONT of the time, fairly easy, forget killing a powerful /vampire hunter/ no you just killed /the/ hereditary Belmont. THEN YOU LET HER KID GO AND TAKE THE WHIP? no.. no.. nooooo... that makes nnnnoooooooo sseeennnnnnsseeee he would have killed, or at LEAST turned Richter and then became /the head honcho of vampires/ for killing and ending the Belmont clan. And there is no way he DOES NOT KNOW about the Belmonts, its Orlox like wtf.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Still have not /watched an episode/ but I re-watched the 1st seasons Castlevania attack w/ Blood Tears remix, and it was still just so darn good... then I watched the later season of the first one and noticed the animation took a sharp hit... it most likely was gradual.. but I think it was season 2? to 4 and wow... so I got draw into watching some of Nocturne's fights... nowhere near that first 2 or 3 seasons quality of the first Castlevania anime... mabye like the final seasons, but the animation was just not as good.

Magic bird attacks was funny.

I guess I will spoiler this...no idea where it happens in the show.

Mo Farken Orlox (like, a high ranking vamp right there with camilla etc.) kills Richter's mom, then is like "I wont kill you now boy", W...T...F... First, you just offed the main BELMONT of the time, fairly easy, forget killing a powerful /vampire hunter/ no you just killed /the/ hereditary Belmont. THEN YOU LET HER KID GO AND TAKE THE WHIP? no.. no.. nooooo... that makes nnnnoooooooo sseeennnnnnsseeee he would have killed, or at LEAST turned Richter and then became /the head honcho of vampires/ for killing and ending the Belmont clan. And there is no way he DOES NOT KNOW about the Belmonts, its Orlox like wtf.
Noble savages do not kill children. Only white people kill children. Duh

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Noble savages do not kill children. Only white people kill children. Duh
... I aint spoilering this...

Orlox like...has a history in vampire lord in general... and in CV world/lore he is usually /Nosfuratu/ type... so WHITE WHITE PALE WHITE..

I was not even going to bother complaining about that... but yeah, its lulz

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
... I aint spoilering this...

Orlox like...has a history in vampire lord in general... and in CV world/lore he is usually /Nosfuratu/ type... so WHITE WHITE PALE WHITE..

I was not even going to bother complaining about that... but yeah, its lulz
In current media, if something is stupid the explaining for why it is so is, 99.9% of the time, "woke trash".

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Counter argument, although with crazy bitches

Is this show any good? The Harley/Ivy one where they're crazy lesbians and fly around in a spaceship shaped like a penis.

It looks completely off the wall, batshit crazy. The two leads are hot. Could be either really good or atrociously bad.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
1699018209334.png

Was playing Rondo of Blood and remembered Annette. I really liked this character when I was younger. Then I realized she'd be in the show and got legit excited to look it up and see if she was.

Then...

1699018335685.png

...what the fuck

It's like "unwanted woke changes 101". Part I dislike the most is that she's now judgmental and short-tempered. That's not what Annette was at all, and figures into how every female character seems to need to be portrayed now. Niceness is some sort of weakness or something. Man, fuck that.

• 1Like
  • 1Barf

Siliconemelons

Just don't watch the show... I watched a few clips, they were fun, but I am just going to re watch the CV3 part of the first series, the post CV3 stuff was not that great imo, they could have done Curse of Darkness... hence why the heck Victor and Issac even EXISTED IN THE ANIME.. but noooo

edit: Curse of Darkness is the CV3 sequel, not Lord of... sorry... rustled, they had the friggen plot why did they change it? if they wanted to go girl vampire lord power, why even bring in Issac and Victor? Why even have the devil forge masters... it was a dumb thing even in game, no one asked or cared for a plot reason Drac had bad guys infesting his castle for you to whip.

Last edited:

Caliane

Is this show any good? The Harley/Ivy one where they're crazy lesbians and fly around in a spaceship shaped like a penis.

It looks completely off the wall, batshit crazy. The two leads are hot. Could be either really good or atrociously bad.
generally well liked by people that don't read the comics. its hipster as fuuuuuck. you know where every character is a satirical deconstruction of the comic book version of that character. everything is ironic. everything is a joke. nothing is sincere. like what they've done with DnD, etc.

Cybsled

It’s pretty funny. They lampoon a lot of characters, straight up murder some, and dial up some things. It lets them play around with plot lines that wouldn’t normally get tried, though. Like highlighting just how mentally fucked up
Batman is, Mr Freeze sacrifices himself to revive his wife and she starts sleeping around immediately, a plot where Joker basically becomes Bernie Sanders, etc.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I was wondering why this show lost me, this sums it up pretty well.
1000000653.jpg

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 8 users

Cybsled

Since when has that last bulletpoint ever been part of Castlevania? Dude is tipping his hand with that

Culturally Japan and Christianity have had a very complicated relationship and that is usually reflected in the games and media from that country.

• 2Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

Ehh,

I know it was mentioned, and I know its been a referenced Anime trope...and I will say its /Catholic/ depictions not /Christian/ but then we end up in the Catholic v orthodox v protestant thread..

BUT...

In Castlevania universe, Belmont's have been always a religious link, and a positive one. Even if this is only to pay heed to Brham's Dracula origin that IS Dracula's origin because Lament of Innocence is still cannon in game and anime. Dracula became Dracula after being a "Man of God" and then did such a dramatic 180 that his curse against God was so much of a shift it was /nearly/ the same as Satan betrayal. Lord of Shadows not withstanding.

So, the counter has always been "true" religion, GENERALLY represented in the Belmonts - heck Simon buries and prays for Dracula at the end of CV2.

Items are pro-religion, holy water, holy rain, crosses etc. even if this is "vampire tropes" - it is "Castlevania" and not fully in alignment with the standard anime trope in their odd views of western religion.

This is also why I did not like the change in the anime from, I think S1 to S2, or S2 to S3 - I forgot exactly when... I think it was 1.

The setup was defending the town, the "priest" that was obviously evil, stays in the church and abandons the town - Belmont and co are there to defend it, but cannot do it alone - they needed help- and that came from a lone devout monk to make the holy water - while in contrasting the evil priest figured he was "safe" in the church and by /his role/ - while that proved absolutely false and he got eaten while, the devout /true to God/ humble Monk was successful in making holy water that WAS affective.

and that leads to why I HATED that an undead, mind controlled, evil priest (I think it was the same character) was able to just go make the entire river holy water, after explicitly showing (by way of the ending where he got killed) that his false religious 'powers' were nothing. Sure it made a good scene THEN, and was a pivotal tactical move- but imo broke and destroyed the ending of the past season showing the power of God and true believers vs. the arrogant man-god religion used for men's selfish desires.

So... Castlevania imo does not fall within the standard anime tropes of being Western Religion (Generally Catholic in portrayal) is evil/false/useless/bad - so the bullet point, again, imo, stands.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

The setup was defending the town, the "priest" that was obviously evil, stays in the church and abandons the town - Belmont and co are there to defend it, but cannot do it alone - they needed help- and that came from a lone devout monk to make the holy water - while in contrasting the evil priest figured he was "safe" in the church and by /his role/ - while that proved absolutely false and he got eaten while, the devout /true to God/ humble Monk was successful in making holy water that WAS affective.

and that leads to why I HATED that an undead, mind controlled, evil priest (I think it was the same character) was able to just go make the entire river holy water, after explicitly showing (by way of the ending where he got killed) that his false religious 'powers' were nothing. Sure it made a good scene THEN, and was a pivotal tactical move- but imo broke and destroyed the ending of the past season showing the power of God and true believers vs. the arrogant man-god religion used for men's selfish desires

I forgot about that - the season 1 elements highlighted a more positive view on true belief in the message vs corrupt people cloaking themselves with “belief” as a means to enrich themselves. Like for example, the humble priest that just wants people to be good to eachother vs the televangelist who wants thousands of people to send “donations” that they turn around and use to buy a private jet or mansion.

The undead priest, while a cool moment, does cheapen that season 1 element that basically suggested that god abandoned the evil priest. But that probably got chalked up to “rule of cool” overriding/overlooking that plot hole

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Since when has that last bulletpoint ever been part of Castlevania? Dude is tipping his hand with that

Culturally Japan and Christianity have had a very complicated relationship and that is usually reflected in the games and media from that country.

Well, I think the main point is that everything before point 9 is spot on and a great reason I never got past episode 1 of this latest season. It has almost nothing to do with the source material so why watch it?

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
they needed help- and that came from a lone devout monk to make the holy water
Interestingly, I read that scene the exact opposite of how you did. At the end of S1, Trevor explicitly asks for "a priest, one who was properly ordained in a church" to create holy water, and then asks him if he knows what to do with it "for the Aspersion", which to me implied that A. the church was functionally identical to a group of ritual spellcasters for the purposes of holy water and B. faith or belief or 'having God's favor' wasn't relevant to the ability to create holy water.

You resurrect an enemy spellcaster, you can use their magic. IMO fits pretty well with the way the show treats all the rest of the mystical stuff. I also like that the cardinal's body then burns in the holy water, because it's now also undead-type. Great almost immersive-sim style interaction there, which again, fits pretty well with how the rest of the magic felt. Very tactile.

Trying to think if there were any scenes of God granting power through faith vs people summoning it through ritual in the original series... I can't recall any, but could be wrong.

Rule of cool is maybe the most likely, but above is how I rationalize it.