Cheap Meals: Eating on a budget.

EireGunner

N00b
Colin Jost Shrug GIF by Saturday Night Live

that's a lot of effort just for a plate of spuds

I like to play 'avoid the lumps' when I eat them

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Kent rollins video had me doing homeade quesadilla with home made tortillas.

Think I had too much bacon grease, fairly thick and visibly a little dark like buttery lol. Pretty good but took a lot longer than in video. Besides cheese, did burger with jalapeno, fresh garlic cloves (mother fucker half the time was just trying to de shell these fuckers and get the onion cut up small) and some taco seasoning etc.

Wish I could realistically small scale grow grain to make flour. This dish not to sniff my own farts too much was interesting because it was 50% or more home grown. Beef from my neighbors cow, our garlic onion and jalapeno.

• 1Quality Calories
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Think I had too much bacon grease, fairly thick and visibly a little dark like buttery lol. Pretty good but took a lot longer than in video. Besides cheese, did burger with jalapeno, fresh garlic cloves (mother fucker half the time was just trying to de shell these fuckers and get the onion cut up small) and some taco seasoning etc.

Wish I could realistically small scale grow grain to make flour. This dish not to sniff my own farts too much was interesting because it was 50% or more home grown. Beef from my neighbors cow, our garlic onion and jalapeno.
I know fresh garlic probably tastes slightly better but I use the pre-minced stuff in pretty much everything to save time. Even then, I still never come close to the speed of the pro chefs.

To stick with the theme of the thread, I think this big jar of minced might come out to be cheaper than fresh, especially if you have the fresh sitting around getting old and going bad, whereas this stuff lasts much much longer.
2024-09-30 08.05.46 www.heb.com 6cfc4c1b65bc.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I know fresh garlic probably tastes slightly better but I use the pre-minced stuff in pretty much everything to save time. Even then, I still never come close to the speed of the pro chefs.

To stick with the theme of the thread, I think this big jar of minced might come out to be cheaper than fresh, especially if you have the fresh sitting around getting old and going bad, whereas this stuff lasts much much longer.
View attachment 549303
idk if cheaper... thats a lot of water

a bag of 5 is like 2 bucks
da86e2ee5af568ebbdd4ecc1897be31b.png

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Fresh garlic is unquestionably worth the 30-60 seconds it costs.

Most people are as bad at handling garlic as they are at dicing onions. A few cloves of finely diced garlic is like less than a minutes work. The jar stuff is nowhere near as good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

Say no more my friend, you're garlic peeling days are over!

Burns

idk if cheaper... thats a lot of water

a bag of 5 is like 2 bucks
da86e2ee5af568ebbdd4ecc1897be31b.png
That 32oz jar is roughly equal to 192 cloves of garlic, according to their substitution recommendations. A bulb of Garlic has 10 cloves on average. So roughly the same price, but they dice it up for you.

I am certainly slow at opening and slicing/dicing garlic due to not getting much practice in. For onions, it's more of not wanting to take the time to learn, practice, and cut myself up to do it the fast professional way. I am as fast or faster than most of the non-pros that I have seen in person, but it's still the slow way.

I've made my favored Italian red sauce/gravy with all fresh ingredients plenty of times and it's not THAT much better than using Cento San Marzanos and the garlic linked above that I find it worth taking the extra time (and remembering to buy fresh garlic).

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've made my favored Italian red sauce/gravy with all fresh ingredients plenty of times and it's not THAT much better than using Cento San Marzanos and the garlic linked above that I find it worth taking the extra time (and remembering to buy fresh garlic).
but thats a difference between tomato varieties, san marzanos are less acidic than romas, i also buy the cento san marzanos from costco, mainly b/c it's the freshest canned tomatoes, no weird chemicals just tomatoes water salt. (pretty sure cento puts in a gay basil leaf)

Burns

but thats a difference between tomato varieties, san marzanos are less acidic than romas, i also buy the cento san marzanos from costco, mainly b/c it's the freshest canned tomatoes, no weird chemicals just tomatoes water salt. (pretty sure cento puts in a gay basil leaf)
Store bought "fresh" green tomatoes fucking suck (outside of getting lucky on some cherry tomatoes or the not-san-marzano ones HEB sells). While I have used them to make red sauce a few times in the distant past, I meant using tomatoes from the garden. Also, basil in Cento is the cherry on top, dunno WTF you're talking about!!

I keep telling myself I'm going set up some grow tents in the garage so we can have good tomatoes all year around, but never get around to doing it...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Store bought "fresh" green tomatoes fucking suck (outside of getting lucky on some cherry tomatoes or the not-san-marzano ones HEB sells). While I have used them to make red sauce a few times in the distant past, I meant using tomatoes from the garden. Also, basil in Cento is the cherry on top, dunno WTF you're talking about!!

I keep telling myself I'm going set up some grow tents in the garage so we can have good tomatoes all year around, but never get around to doing it...
are they san marzano in your garden?