Civilization V: Brave New World

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, I always end up in these really long, dragged out games when I play that just end up super tedious.

Is there any real "fun" way to play this?
Do duel size map, add two more civs, set them to Attila, Assyria and Montezuma and try to survive. If you do, increase difficulty.

So, I always end up in these really long, dragged out games when I play that just end up super tedious.

Is there any real "fun" way to play this?
Unless you're going for a domination victory games shouldn't be dragging out that long. Settle 4-5 cities, turtle up, and focus on science. On a standard size map you should be able to win a diplo, culture or science victory in 5 or 6 hours.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I tend to always turtle up and get a Diplomacy or Culture victory, it just seems to really drag late game. I do tend to only do 1-3 cities though, maybe going for 5 would be better.

Should probably also go for smaller maps than I usually do.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did they fix the horrific cheating ai that still loses badly in this game yet? Havent played in a while.
No, the game really is only excellent for the first 100 - 150 turns, then it becomes, as Sean points out, boring and tedious because the AI is so incompetent.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
The AI isn't great, but there's still a lot of fun to be had optimizing your play against it. I've been playing through the Game of the Month series atCiv5 - Game Of The Month - Civilization Fanatics' Forums. It's pretty amazing how efficient some of these guys are.
My fun comes from crushing the ai, not being efficient sadly...I could care less about maximising my food output and shit... In that regard, game is a majorletdown
frown.png

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My fun comes from crushing the ai, not being efficient sadly...I could care less about maximising my food output and shit... In that regard, game is a majorletdown
frown.png
just settle where you should settle and set workers to automated, that works almost always. It won't allow you to play immortal or diety, but does that really bother you?

Nutron_sl

shitlord
just settle where you should settle and set workers to automated, that works almost always. It won't allow you to play immortal or diety, but does that really bother you?
Well I do enjoy controling what i build, where my lil workers do their lil thing, but im not OCD about it wanting to minmax everything because I frankly dont see a point given how easy it is to win the game even at hardest settings. If the AI gave you a challenge without having to cheat, I would definitely care about minmaxing to defeat the evil foes.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well I do enjoy controling what i build, where my lil workers do their lil thing, but im not OCD about it wanting to minmax everything because I frankly dont see a point given how easy it is to win the game even at hardest settings. If the AI gave you a challenge without having to cheat, I would definitely care about minmaxing to defeat the evil foes.
I don't think it's possible to program an AI yet that could give you a challenge on Prince at the moment if you actually try to win.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
I don't think it's possible to program an AI yet that could give you a challenge on Prince at the moment if you actually try to win.
why would it not be possible.... the game is on a grid and everything else is basicaly fixed values... they need to hire a math wizard so he can sprinkle his little wand around the little code fairies and make this game awesome.

Tol_sl

shitlord
No, the game really is only excellent for the first 100 - 150 turns, then it becomes, as Sean points out, boring and tedious because the AI is so incompetent.
I'm fine until basically the end of the game. Modern age is where I start to feel like I lose the ability to micromanage aircraft carriers, bombers and tons of units. I usually play pretty big games with 5-6 civs. I guess I should scale back to 2-3 and keep my empire tighter.

spronk

FPS noob
It takes about 24 hours for you to get a steam key after you jump through the hoops above, but it definitely works. Got one for my brother and bought BNW for $9 from newegg, got the keys registered and they are downloading fine for him on PC steam.

Do duel size map, add two more civs, set them to Attila, Assyria and Montezuma and try to survive. If you do, increase difficulty.
Shaka and Alexander are the real dickheads, especially when Shaka has a couple of veteran Impis with all their special promotions moving your way
biggrin.png

Did they fix the horrific cheating ai that still loses badly in this game yet? Havent played in a while.
they still cheat on the higher difficulties by starting with more techs researched, starting with additional units and a settler on Deity and having a production and science bonus
on Immortal you catch up at around the Renaissance/Industrial era, on Deity you can only win if you know how to game the system
the AI is also more aggressive on those two difficulties

edit:this modbrings back some diplomacy features from Civ 4 such as map trading, tech trading and vasselage but it hasn't been updated to work with the new patch yet so crashes may occur

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The upside of Attila and Assyria are their unique siege buildings that will capture your city if they manage to connect twice or three times. Attila Ram Spam at turn 40 is very scary.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I got the itch to play a few games over the past weekend. I played with a few early-domination-oriented leaders (Genghis, Attila, Ashurbanipal) and kept running into the same problem. They had no problem toppling adjacent civ's, but by by the time the 2nd one falls, the entire world freaked out and declares war upon you for all time. Balancing unhappiness (annex, raze, war weariness) , unit maintenance fees, and fighting off 3-4 other civ's at the same time is a real nightmare.

It just seams easier to go domination by choosing a Civ with a unique military unit in the mid-game, turtling up through the early game, establishing technological dominance, and then steam rolling through the world.

The more I play Civ5, the more I am convinced that Civ4 is the superior game. Civ5 just feels way too tedious most of the time.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty much every victory in Civ5 is also a tech victory. Heavy modding is required to make the game work. The biggest issue to me maintains the unsteady difficulty curve. Either the early game is too hard because the AI headstart is too big due to difficulty and when you lower the difficulty, the game is piss easy once you're in medieval age because you're so far ahead. The AI sucks at 1upt and is no challenge once you have a 15 unit army, no matter how many units it has.

If only their multiplayer wasn't shit broken.