Coffee Thread

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I just finished a pound of Happy Mug Renegade Guatemala that was some of the best coffee I've ever bought

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Poor dirk, even a pregnant woman is often allowed one cup.

But yes, please, keep your BP under control for you and the missus and the dirkkids.

In coffee related news. The coffee from Black Rifle - yum. The plain ole columbian beans from costco make me sad... my tears make it taste better though.
Hey Mrs. G, don't you have like local PT's?

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Hey Mrs. G, don't you have like local PT's?
I had bought it at Costco - alas they do not have it any more (PTs is in KS- I am in St. Louis MO area). I need to take a trip northward for some local flavor, my regular grocers carry some things but not a lot of selection. I may go up Saturday to try and find new roasters (not today or tomorrow as I am a bit locked in by flood waters right now!).

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
  • 1Supertaster

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I've managed to get a third crack on my decaf beans, so my decaf coffee appears to have the robust flavour I'm looking for.

Small victories.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Started with the Cold Brew and bought this.

Amazon.com: Large Cold Brew Coffee Maker - 1.5L (48 oz) Glass Carafe with Removable Double Walled Stainless Steel Filter - Use to Brew Hot or Cold Tea or Coffee: Kitchen & Dining

highly recommend cold brew for anyone that hasnt done it, makes a really great cup of coffee, hot or iced. Also a great time saver for people in that a batch of cold brew keeps for 2 weeks. Wake up, pour a cup, microwave for 2 mins, drink a really great cup of coffee.
I used to use my hario slim, that thing is only like 4 cups, now i just dump the coffee into a 16cup sterilte container and put it in the fridge for 2days, then i strain it through a coffee filter. By 2 days all the grinds will sink to the bottom, so the straining is pretty fast for 3/4ths, then just dump all the coffee grinds in the filter.

I make 2 trays of 2in cubes, i never water it down, i either drink it with the cold brew left over or i make a pot of coffee with the cubes.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I used to use my hario slim, that thing is only like 4 cups, now i just dump the coffee into a 16cup sterilte container and put it in the fridge for 2days, then i strain it through a coffee filter. By 2 days all the grinds will sink to the bottom, so the straining is pretty fast for 3/4ths, then just dump all the coffee grinds in the filter.

I make 2 trays of 2in cubes, i never water it down, i either drink it with the cold brew left over or i make a pot of coffee with the cubes.
Are you going through a paper filter? Wouldn't it be better to scoop some of the grinds into the paper filter and pour the rest over it? That would/should remove most of the particulate.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Are you going through a paper filter? Wouldn't it be better to scoop some of the grinds into the paper filter and pour the rest over it? That would/should remove most of the particulate.
yea paper filter, no it's easier to dump all top liquid first, b/c that has minimal setiment. of course once you disturb the container sediment stirs up.(when i say sediment i actually mean coffee grinds) But no, the more coffee grinds you put through the filter, the harder it is to strain the coffee, cuz they're filling up the surface area of the filter with grinds. You've already extracted the cold brew flavor from the grinds, you just want to separate the grinds from the coffee at this point.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I use a nut milk bag to separate the coffee from the grinds with my cold brew. You get the added bonus of being able to squeeze the liquid from the bag to get as much of the coffee out as possible. Then when it's chilling any fine sediment settles on the bottom.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I use a nut milk bag to separate the coffee from the grinds with my cold brew. You get the added bonus of being able to squeeze the liquid from the bag to get as much of the coffee out as possible. Then when it's chilling any fine sediment settles on the bottom.

This is what we've been doing the past few weeks and it works great. Have you found any effect from your bag getting dirty? I wash it in between every use, but it's getting visibly stained.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea i used to use one of those too, too much grinds was escaping for my taste, and i didn't care for em settling at the bottom.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
best-coffee-blends_1600x.jpg

This stuff is fucking amazing. It's like drinking dark chocolate.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Isn't dark roast coffee the equivalent of a "well done" steak? Lose the flavor of the beans and it just highlights the roasted flavor.

That was always my impression.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If you take a drive to Lawrence, you should go here: Welcome
It is the yum.
cool, i'll be visiting this and PTs
Isn't dark roast coffee the equivalent of a "well done" steak? Lose the flavor of the beans and it just highlights the roasted flavor.

Yea that works, the darker you roast, you loose in flavor and gain in "bold" flavor or char.

Last edited:

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

Not really. A good, dark roast brings out the oils and flavours. Beans and meat are not equivalents, and they don't react to roasting in the same way. You do alter the flavour, but by making it bolder while adding the darkness of the roast in to the flavour.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not really. A good, dark roast brings out the oils and flavours. Beans and meat are not equivalents, and they don't react to roasting in the same way. You do alter the flavour, but by making it bolder while adding the darkness of the roast in to the flavour.
It'll be more nefarious for industry, as you've probably observed from self roasting, roasters might all be roasting dark to "blend" in more inferior beans for uniformity