Coffee Thread

Brikker

Trump's Staff
we made really good guides

what is this aeropress shit you guys all harp about?

I use a Keurig with a re-usable pod, grinding my own beans (don Pablo dark roast) with a Krups grinder. Regular cold tap water cause my pro-chef wife took ownership of the fridge so there is no room for a water filter (cant get tap based ones). splash of half and half, dash of sugar in my coffee. I'm the only coffee drinker in the house and I only drink max 2 cups a day so that's why I like the keurig. what do I have to gain from whatever this aeropress thing is?

P Picasso3 are you Jordan schlansky?

[\spoiler]

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
what is this aeropress shit you guys all harp about?

I use a Keurig with a re-usable pod, grinding my own beans (don Pablo dark roast) with a Krups grinder. Regular cold tap water cause my pro-chef wife took ownership of the fridge so there is no room for a water filter (cant get tap based ones). splash of half and half, dash of sugar in my coffee. I'm the only coffee drinker in the house and I only drink max 2 cups a day so that's why I like the keurig. what do I have to gain from whatever this aeropress thing is?

P Picasso3 are you Jordan schlansky?

[\spoiler]
you better extracted coffee flavor.

one of the MANY issues in the creation of a good cup of joe is extraction, the best temp to extract coffee is 195-205f

Keurigs are designed to brew at 192f, however most ppl (using probes etc) say the water ejects at 160f

at least get filtered water, or try brewing with bottled water for a week and see the difference in taste, if bottled water tastes better, your water is funk.

as long as your water container is clean (no mold or funky shit) you can safely store filtered water in a pitcher on the counter
is it safe to drink filtered water stored at room temperature? - Ask an Expert

Again using the aeropress is the best/ most economical way to extract the best cup of joe... To improve upon that, would take a few months of learning how to make espresso, along with $$$ invested in an espresso maker and a high end grinder.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
...Again using the aeropress is the best/ most economical way to extract the best cup of joe... To improve upon that, would take a few months of learning how to make espresso, along with $$$ invested in an espresso maker and a high end grinder.

Posted already in the thread, but fuck no you don't:

Amazon.com: The Original Bialetti Moka Express Made in Italy 1-Cup Stovetop Espresso Maker with Patented Valve: Stovetop Espresso Pots: Kitchen & Dining =$15

Amazon.com: KRUPS F203 Electric Spice and Coffee Grinder with Stainless Steel Blades, 3-Ounce, Black: Power Blade Coffee Grinders: Kitchen & Dining =$19

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Do yourself a favor and get the upgraded Moka pot all the old style Bialetti's use pure aluminum which corrodes, and leaks into your coffee and gets junky when washed in soap, get the stainless steel version.

It's why i shelved my old moka pot.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've actually got the Brikka version. It's a steep leap in price, but makes a better crema. I still love my old fashioned Moka though. My Italian friends first told me about them and basically said you won't find a house in Italy without one. For $15-$25 (depending on size), you still can't beat it.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I was out in San Francisco a few weeks ago and picked up a pound of Philz Coffee's Philtered Soul... Easily the best cup of coffee I've ever made at home (cold brew). And I'm pretty sure I will be having the family/friends that live there send it to me regularly if possible.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
By some horrible misalignment, i'm going to be moving out to Topeka, KS.

Guess i get to have PT's coffee again.

• 1Like

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Had some nitro brewed coffee from a tap the other day.. was freaking awesome.

I want one in my house now.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I've recently become quite good at roasting coffee. There is something magical about a well roasted coffee brewed very shortly after roasting.

Then, my doctor told me I had to get off caffeine completely. Well fuck.

So I'm roasting decaf. Not as good. I continue to roast the real deal for my family, but I'm trying to find ways to make home roast decaf super delicious...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've recently become quite good at roasting coffee. There is something magical about a well roasted coffee brewed very shortly after roasting.

Then, my doctor told me I had to get off caffeine completely. Well fuck.

So I'm roasting decaf. Not as good. I continue to roast the real deal for my family, but I'm trying to find ways to make home roast decaf super delicious...
wtf kind of disease you got, that caffeine will kill you?
Had some nitro brewed coffee from a tap the other day.. was freaking awesome.

I want one in my house now.

Yea i've been thinking about this as one of my first "house" projects, when i move and get a house.

Mostly you'll see beer companies have ready made nitro kits

Single Tap Tower, SS Stout Faucet and Chudnow Nitro Regulator by Kegconnection

why? i'm sure it's simple for them to just create a proper kit for coffee and nitro, since they create so many for bear kegs.

Last edited:

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
wtf kind of disease you got, that caffeine will kill you?

Nah, it's a sleep and blood pressure thing. Caffeine won't kill me, but it will aggravate symptoms. I'm reaping benefits already, though I am working through morning headaches without caffeine.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Nah, it's a sleep and blood pressure thing. Caffeine won't kill me, but it will aggravate symptoms. I'm reaping benefits already, though I am working through morning headaches without caffeine.
man that shit won't go away, see if you can take ibuprophen or acetaminaphen.

ibuprohen seems to work best for me when i don't drink coffee.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Poor dirk, even a pregnant woman is often allowed one cup.

But yes, please, keep your BP under control for you and the missus and the dirkkids.

In coffee related news. The coffee from Black Rifle - yum. The plain ole columbian beans from costco make me sad... my tears make it taste better though.

• 1Solidarity

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Poor dirk, even a pregnant woman is often allowed one cup.

But yes, please, keep your BP under control for you and the missus and the dirkkids.

In coffee related news. The coffee from Black Rifle - yum. The plain ole columbian beans from costco make me sad... my tears make it taste better though.
Get the Ruby Coffee shipped to you. The Konga is really good. Or Dogwood, the Burundi is amaze.

Coffee | Ruby Coffee Roasters
Coffee

• 1Like