Comcast Agrees to Buy Time Warner Cable

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
but I'll still be able to manage.
I don't think you realize how bad 1Mbit is now. It's not that you won't be able to stream HD, you will be pausing for loading multiple times in a 3 minute low-res youtube video. Forget Netflix at 1Mbit. It's too painful to be worth using. You need to have at least 3 Mbit to have a remotely satisfying Youtube experience and 5 for watching Netflix in SD. People who think that DSL is a reasonable substitute for cable internet haven't used it recently.

Remit_sl

shitlord
I don't think you realize how bad 1Mbit is now. It's not that you won't be able to stream HD, you will be pausing for loading multiple times in a 3 minute low-res youtube video. Forget Netflix at 1Mbit. It's too painful to be worth using. You need to have at least 3 Mbit to have a remotely satisfying Youtube experience and 5 for watching Netflix in SD. People who think that DSL is a reasonable substitute for cable internet haven't used it recently.
Not true. Netflix, youtube, hulu, etc will all stream without buffering at 1 Mbps in 360 or 480p depending on the codec.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
I cant see any universe in which this goes through. Comcast's negotiating power with cable TV will be insane. And they will have even less reason to give a shit about their customers

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Not true. Netflix, youtube, hulu, etc will all stream without buffering at 1 Mbps in 360 or 480p depending on the codec.
Have you tried it? What is theoretically possible and what is reality are very different. I have a lot of experience with 1 MBit and more recently 3 MBit internet.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Have you tried it? What is theoretically possible and what is reality are very different. I have a lot of experience with 1 MBit and more recently 3 MBit internet.
Yeah I test it all the time, and hundreds of customers confirm. Hulu ads wont, because often their ad servers suck and aren't available in that low of quality, but that is all. What is more likely is that you are not getting consistent 1 or 3Mbps, or possibly busting is causing you to jump up in quality. Bursting makes for a horrible streaming experience with HTB bursting

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Well yeah, that's what I'm saying. They sell it to you at 1mBit but you don't really get that consistently, hence the shitty experience.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Well yeah, that's what I'm saying. They sell it to you at 1mBit but you don't really get that consistently, hence the shitty experience.
Definitely a common occurance, and my number one priority personally (providing advertised speeds 24 hrs a day)

Who is your provider? Is it DSL?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Where do you live that dsl tops out at 3~4mbit? Here it's 50mbit.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I hate Comcast with every ounce of my soul, but their internet is rock solid here. I was on U-verse and it was pretty spotty. Went back to Comcast when they came out with the 50mbit and it's always in the 56 - 58 mbit area on speed tests. I'm very happy with it. Comcast's TV is pure shit, though, compared to U-verse. They still don't have the X1 or whatever it's called in my area.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
uverse is solid where I live. I'm a very happy AT&T customer, though I wish they'd stop trying to get me to buy their tv service.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
U-verse TV is really good, if you want TV. Their max internet here was 20mbit at the time and I didn't want to use their stupid gateway router they force you to use. I'm hoping to sell my house in the next year and when I buy a new house, I think I'm just going to get internet and set up a NAS for any TV stuff.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have uverse tv and internet here.I think Comcast internet would be faster but my hate for Comcast would turn me into an instant Sith if the force actually existed. After I moved out of an apartment and cancelled my service (turned in the equipment physically with receipt also) they continued to bill me with late fees (they had cancelled my automatic payment when i had the service turned off) for six months and then sent my account to collections all without me knowing. I finally get a call from some collector at my new place and they try for a month to get me to make a deal to partially pay this bullshit bill that I wasn't responsible for. Took forever to go through the legal shit to clear it up. Seriously fucked my credit for awhile when I needed it.

And despite what anyone says it still showed up on some credit report some where 3 years later when I was buying a house.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have uverse tv and internet here.I think Comcast internet would be faster but my hate for Comcast would turn me into an instant Sith if the force actually existed. After I moved out of an apartment and cancelled my service (turned in the equipment physically with receipt also) they continued to bill me with late fees (they had cancelled my automatic payment when i had the service turned off) for six months and then sent my account to collections all without me knowing. I finally get a call from some collector at my new place and they try for a month to get me to make a deal to partially pay this bullshit bill that I wasn't responsible for. Took forever to go through the legal shit to clear it up. Seriously fucked my credit for awhile when I needed it.

And despite what anyone says it still showed up on some credit report some where 3 years later when I was buying a house.
You have to have them give you (IN WRITING) that your payment will be a PFD (pay for delete), or else it will stay on your report for 7 years from the original delinquent date. If you've already done that, you can write a request to the credit bureaus to have it removed. They will try to verify the debt and if they can't or you have proof they will remove it.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Like I said, the only "live" programming I watch is sports. If it's a TV show, I don't fuck with Netflix or Hulu, I just torrent it. If all else fails, I'll even take to downloading sports if I have to. Once the data caps come, I'm out.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Like I said, the only "live" programming I watch is sports. If it's a TV show, I don't fuck with Netflix or Hulu, I just torrent it. If all else fails, I'll even take to downloading sports if I have to. Once the data caps come, I'm out.
The only thing keeping me with cable/satellite is live sports. I hate sketchy online sports feeds, none are ever decent quality, and torrenting sporting events isn't really an option. By that point the game results are usually spoiled via social media, sports almost have to be watched live, unless you cut yourself completely off from technology to avoid results.

somehow even articles about cable companies are part of the marketing scheme(s)

PrKvsi0.png

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
A supermarket that can provide better internet service than a huge cable company. Tell us more about the impossibility of it all Remit.

Also I work for an energy company, if we operated like Comcast we would be throttling your electricity unless you bought our light bulbs or appliances . Not using our bulbs? Hope you enjoy enough power for 1 thing at a time. So stupid.