Comcast Agrees to Buy Time Warner Cable

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I am stuck with and fucking hate comcast, I hate them so much I would pay triple for equal speeds if I could switch ISP. I await the day I can tell them fuck you with my wallet
frown.png
Me too.. Little disturbed that I pay $160/mo for 50mbps internet, a phone I never use, and their cable for one TV.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm on their Ultimate package and they bumped me from 50 to 100 last year. Only, slight, down side is I have a 400gb a month 'cap' which I seem to go over every other month or so. If I go over all I get is a nastygram in my email telling me I went over and should consider upgrading though so I can't complain too much about it yet.
I just upgraded to Ultimate, because I discovered torrents, and was about to go over my 250gb cap. Needed to bump up to 400gb. Now that the initial burst of torrent downloads is over, I'm considering downgrading again.

Here in Phoenix, Ultimate is up to 150 down, 30 up. Their premium package, one tier down is advertised 50 down, but I usually always was getting 60 down. Been watching my data usage, and will see if I can downgrade, as the extra speed isn't necessary for me.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Peer Wars: Netflix SuperHD Streaming May Explain Video Traffic Slowdowns for Some Customers | Stop the Cap!

So America's largest ISP, maybe purposely slowing down traffic from Netflix unless they get paid. Netflix offers them a free service that would help with bandwidth and major US ISP don't take them up on the offer. Wonder why that is?

Verizon customers have increasingly complained about Netflix slowdowns during prime-time, especially in the northeast, and Netflix's latest statistics confirm FiOS customers have seen average performance drop by as much as 14% in the last month alone.

Verizon told Stop the Cap! a few weeks ago the company was not interfering with Netflix traffic or degrading its performance, but there is growing evidence that may not be the whole story. The Wall Street Journal reports Netflix and at least one bandwidth provider suspect phone and cable companies are purposely stalling on upgrading connections to handle traffic growth from Netflix until they are compensated for carrying its video traffic.
Netflix offered a solution to help Internet Service Providers manage its video traffic. Netflix's Open Connect offers free peering at common Internet exchanges as well as free storage appliances that ISPs can connect directly to their network to distribute video to customers. Free is always good, and Netflix claims many ISPs around the world have already taken them up on the offer, slashing their transit costs along the way.

A few major North American ISPs have also agreed to take part in Open Connect, including Frontier Communications, Clearwire, Telus, Bell, Cablevision and Google Fiber. Open Connect participating ISPs also got an initial bonus for participating they could offer customers - exclusive access to SuperHD streaming.

But most Americans would not get super high-resolution streaming because the largest ISP's refused to participate, seeking direct compensation from content providers to carry traffic across their digital pipes instead.

On Sep. 26, 2013 Netflix decided to offer SuperHD streaming to all customers, regardless of their ISP. As a result, one major ISP told the newspaper Netflix traffic from Cogent at least quadrupled. ISPs taking Netflix up on Open Connect saw almost no degradation from the increased traffic, but not so for Verizon, AT&T, Time Warner Cable, and Comcast customers.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I just upgraded to Ultimate, because I discovered torrents, and was about to go over my 250gb cap. Needed to bump up to 400gb. Now that the initial burst of torrent downloads is over, I'm considering downgrading again.
Just wait till you discover Usenet. I can peg that fuckin needle and have a 720p 4-6 gig movie downloaded in under 10 minutes.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
That's long since over with since they've been DMCAing Usenet and chasing Indexers for years now.

Remit_sl

shitlord
That's long since over with since they've been DMCAing Usenet and chasing Indexers for years now.
I havent subbed in 3-4 years any groups, but I havent heard of any providers receiving DMCA notices for users of usenet. I figured 99.9% of the web still didnt know about it.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
All the major providers I know of receive and comply with DMCA notices these days. Sadly the Usenet landscape changed quite drastically once the entertainment industry finally wised up. That's not to say Usenet is useless these days. You can still get content without too much trouble but it's past hiding anymore.

Crone

Just wait till you discover Usenet. I can peg that fuckin needle and have a 720p 4-6 gig movie downloaded in under 10 minutes.
Been on Usenets for years, and even with 50-60 active shows on Sickbeard, I never, until torrents, went over my 250gb cap.
smile.png

Remit_sl

shitlord
All the major providers I know of receive and comply with DMCA notices these days. Sadly the Usenet landscape changed quite drastically once the entertainment industry finally wised up. That's not to say Usenet is useless these days. You can still get content without too much trouble but it's past hiding anymore.
Yeah DCMA's are a daily occurrence for sure, but Ive never seen one for a user. Just people new to torrents or that dont understand how upload works.

Crone

Luckily they are not fast enough.
smile.png
Not with programs like Sickbeard pulling that shit down the instant it pops up anywhere.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Netflix alone accounts for 30% of internet traffic? That's insane. I hope that's just in the US - still an impressive number.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Netflix alone accounts for 30% of internet traffic? That's insane. I hope that's just in the US - still an impressive number.
If you click the link it is "downstream" traffic in North America only. Curiously bittorrent is down to 4% of downstream traffic, from 31% five years ago. What a curious mirror of numbers.

Crone

If you click the link it is "downstream" traffic in North America only. Curiously bittorrent is down to 4% of downstream traffic, from 31% five years ago. What a curious mirror of numbers.
Meaning people got lazy, and all the shows they were torrenting came up on Netflix anyway? Or the crack downs and higher consequences for getting caught are just scaring people away.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Meaning people got lazy, and all the shows they were torrenting came up on Netflix anyway? Or the crack downs and higher consequences for getting caught are just scaring people away.
I would say a little of both, but the biggest factor is scale. The ease of access for technologically impaired to consume huge amounts of data via streaming devices is the reason. Pretty much anyone who knew how to torrent in 2000 still torrents or uses Usenet today. Grandma with a new smart TV is saving money by dropping her TV bill now that she is on a fixed income.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I know that I was driven to torrenting simply because content providers weren't willing to provide me with content in a manner in which I wanted to consume it. Between Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu my torrenting has dropped off significantly. Just waiting for the premium channels to unhinge themselves from the cable/satellite companies and/or cable a la carte and my pirating days will probably be over.

Basically I was willing to pay but nobody was selling the product I wanted.

Crone

Cable a la carte will never work. It's been said a million times over, but it works just like health insurance. The healthy people paying premiums, make the sick persons premiums a bit lower. If all you had on health insurance were sick people, their rates would be sky high.

Same with cable service. All those people that pay the high price, and watch 2 channels? They still are paying their share for ESPN, versus the dude that watches Sports Center all damn day and pays the same price.

Remit_sl

shitlord
I know that I was driven to torrenting simply because content providers weren't willing to provide me with content in a manner in which I wanted to consume it. Between Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu my torrenting has dropped off significantly. Just waiting for the premium channels to unhinge themselves from the cable/satellite companies and/or cable a la carte and my pirating days will probably be over.

Basically I was willing to pay but nobody was selling the product I wanted.
But you still torrent movies/HBO/Other primo shows right? What about music? I dont think many torrent music anymore, but that was the driving force of all the "crackdowns on torrenting". Those were 4-12Mb files.