Computer Issues

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Welcome to the new-age of viruses.. cryptowalls!

I'm not necessarily blaming you, as we don't know where you got it from, but you probably downloaded some sketchy shit to get that.
i wish man, but i literally go on this website, visit wowhead and reddit a few times, but i dont browse google for stupid shit i literally just play games on my PC, the only thing ive downloaded that could be sketchy is demonbuddy, everything else is literally a driver, or a video game or something off IPT.

thats why its annoying me because i dont visit alot of random stupid shit, or download stupid shit im very anal about what i search and click for this very reason, only thing i can think of is the times i let my GF on for homework and she starts searching google and shit.

jilariz i dont get it? yeah i deleted a bunch of the files from that malware or w/e and yeah the microphone settings save now, i dont go on piratebay or any janky torrent site, i only use IPT so not sure what you're trying to get across with your comment.

thanks for the replies everyone, even you trolls.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well it could be a couple of those things. Depends where you got Demonbuddy from I guess. If it's from the 'official' site, if there is one, then it's probably ok. But a lot of this stuff gets hidden in the installers for games from torrents. Also I think some of this stuff is timed-unlock, meaning it won't activate until a set time after installing.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
yeah its from the official site, it could have been in shadows of mordor, borderlands 2 and evil within but other than that, its mostly tv shows and the odd movie from ipt

im just waiting to see if theres a way to tell if my main HD is infected aswell because of right now its working, i installed WoW on it to see if that would work, because thats the only game i play on my second HD right now, and it works fine on the first.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well, I would imagine that most virus scanners have the ability to pick up on the ransomwall Crypto crap, as well as updated versions of Malwarebytes, Spybot. Just run them all on your primary, then format your secondary. And yeah, formatting is literally just clicking on my computer, right clicking the drive you want to format and select format. Uncheck quickformat and let it do its thing. It should auto-default to NTFS, and then you should be back and golden. But yeah man, if you are using torrent sites, even good ones, you really should be running virus protection and malware protection, just in case.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
how can i figure out if this is effecting both my hard drives or just one? because if its just the second one i can completely format it theres nothing important on it.
Cryptolocker will target any volumes local to the machine you're on but it does its damage when it encrypts your files then destroys any traces of itself along with the key used to encrypt to prevent recovery attempts. There might be some traces left behind like the dropper (usually hides in %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp) which initially downloaded and triggered the payload that ran Cryptowall but chances are a lot of it isn't lingering on the machine once it has encrypted your files, it has no reason to leave evidence or samples of itself behind to prolong how long it can evade detection by anti-malware.

The tools mentioned above should pick up on the remaining items but if you still feel concerned that there's something else i'd recommend maybe trying Hitman Pro:Home - SurfRightand see if it returns any status that the system is still infected, they use cloud anti-malware which checks against multiple (4) scan engines so it'll be a bit more effective at ensuring things are clean. The program will allow you to clean anything it finds up with a 30 day trial at the end without buying it as long as you provide an email address.

edit: Disclaimer note: After a machine has been infected with something you can never fully trust it again, the info I provided above was mostly because you appear to be avoiding doing a full reload on your OS install.

Well, I would imagine that most virus scanners have the ability to pick up on the ransomwall Crypto crap, as well as updated versions of Malwarebytes, Spybot.
This really depends on the solution you're using. If it is definitions based and the company only releases updates once a day there's a 24 hour period of lag time where new variants and repacks of malware can get on a system undetected. If the AV/Antimalware is using definitions and a heuristic engine it will sometimes catch on to new variants using behavioral analysis of what is running but it isn't fool proof. Recently spent 2 days containing a mailing worm called Upatre/Dyre that we got under control on the first day then the spam began with a new repacked dropper and Upatre variant that the mail system's malware scanning did not detect so it got by and the cycle began once again. What a pain in the ass that was.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
yeah its from the official site, it could have been in shadows of mordor, borderlands 2 and evil within but other than that, its mostly tv shows and the odd movie from ipt

im just waiting to see if theres a way to tell if my main HD is infected aswell because of right now its working, i installed WoW on it to see if that would work, because thats the only game i play on my second HD right now, and it works fine on the first.
it's probably the shit from IPT, but any site that has shitty ads can have those compromised and serving malware.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just had my first PSU failure in over a decade. Frustrating to say the least. Corsair HX850, so it has a 7 year warranty thankfully.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
i wish man, but i literally go on this website, visit wowhead and reddit a few times, but i dont browse google for stupid shit i literally just play games on my PC, the only thing ive downloaded that could be sketchy is demonbuddy, everything else is literally a driver, or a video game or something off IPT.

thats why its annoying me because i dont visit alot of random stupid shit, or download stupid shit im very anal about what i search and click for this very reason, only thing i can think of is the times i let my GF on for homework and she starts searching google and shit.

jilariz i dont get it? yeah i deleted a bunch of the files from that malware or w/e and yeah the microphone settings save now, i dont go on piratebay or any janky torrent site, i only use IPT so not sure what you're trying to get across with your comment.

thanks for the replies everyone, even you trolls.
As far as I remember, the major attack vector for CrytpoWall was .pdf files. In general you get a .zip with .pdf, opening the .pdf executes the scripts which then rapes you.

Apaprently the CryptoWall variant doesn't mess with the volume shadow copy so if you had restore on you would have been ok. Why would you not have system restore on?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
As far as I remember, the major attack vector for CrytpoWall was .pdf files. In general you get a .zip with .pdf, opening the .pdf executes the scripts which then rapes you.

Apaprently the CryptoWall variant doesn't mess with the volume shadow copy so if you had restore on you would have been ok. Why would you not have system restore on?
Most of the time in the zip it's a .scr file with meta data making the icon look like a PDF.

Fuck UEFI and its secure booting options. Never have I had a problem dual booting linux and windows until now. A simple install has turned into a cluster fuck of missing OS's in the boot manager to other wacky things. Thank god for linux live CD and I was able to back all my shit up.

Just venting. Nevermind me.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Fuck UEFI and its secure booting options. Never have I had a problem dual booting linux and windows until now. A simple install has turned into a cluster fuck of missing OS's in the boot manager to other wacky things. Thank god for linux live CD and I was able to back all my shit up.

Just venting. Nevermind me.
The linux nerd in me agrees. The security jerk likes UEFI better thanks to an overwhelming does of equation drugs.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Weird problem:

A a few weeks back I bought a replacement motherboard to use with my old AMD Phenom II 965 chip. The board is the ASUS M5A97 LE 2.0. The thing seemingly froze up randomly. I sent it back, got a replacement and this one is doing the exact same fucking thing.

Previously I had an MSI board, same equipment, and everything ran fine. So it's definitely something with this ASUS board that's the issue.

What I'm now noticing is that during network activity (like downloading shit from the internet) I can hear an audible capacitor whine. If the download session is long enough the system will almost certainly hard lock at some point. I'm thinking these two events are related. If the system just sits there idle it's usually fine.

Anyone experienced anything like this before? I'm about to say 'fuck it' and try some other brand board or replace my primary system and relegate that as secondary. The 965 is getting long in the tooth but, honestly, serves it's purpose just fine.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
That seems like it could be CAS latency related, as you shouldn't be able to hear capacitors doing anything. I would also try (if you have it available) a secondary power supply, just to rule out power supply issues. Usually sound effects coming from the board itself and not the speaker means it is a hardware issue, and 9/10 times it is PSU related in my experience. General troubleshooting advice is to narrow down culprits then try fixes that address the potential offenders. Unplug any peripherals attached to your system that aren't keyboard/mouse and then see if it does the same thing. Event viewer can give you a pretty good insight into problems if you don't notice a specific trigger to a crash event.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I've suspected memory, but I've swapped it out with another pair of sticks and same issue. It's still possible the motherboard isn't properly detecting the timings of the RAM.

What's odd is that the freezing only occurs during high bandwidthinternetactivity. For example, I can stream video all day long with no freezes or copy gigs from and to the system from either another computer or external drive. But as soon as I try and download a 10GB+ movie from a newsgroup, whamo system freezes - every time.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I've suspected memory, but I've swapped it out with another pair of sticks and same issue. It's still possible the motherboard isn't properly detecting the timings of the RAM.

What's odd is that the freezing only occurs during high bandwidthinternetactivity. For example, I can stream video all day long with no freezes or copy gigs from and to the system from either another computer or external drive. But as soon as I try and download a 10GB+ movie from a newsgroup, whamo system freezes - every time.
What do you mean, freezes up? Blue Screens? Power Completely cuts? Blank Screen? Screen gets stuck?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
What do you mean, freezes up? Blue Screens? Power Completely cuts? Blank Screen? Screen gets stuck?
Screen "stuck" (as in the mouse doesn't move, no response to keyboard input. Have to hard reset). Although I've occasionally gotten a blue screen.

System is running Windows 8. It's really random and is definitely a hardware issue. Just odd that two of the same boards is exhibiting the same issue. Whereas the old MSI board with the EXACT SAME EQUIPMENT was fine for YEARS.

I bought a new NIC and I'm currently testing with that. A shot in the dark but was only 10 bucks. Doubt it'll solve the issue. Only recourse is to try a different brand motherboard. Didn't think for one second I'd have trouble with an ASUS board.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ran some HDD diagnostic on my PC and it's failing it. Also now it barely makes it into windows before becoming unresponsive. Sometimes it fails on the login screen.

Guess I'm buying a new HDD. Thing is like 10 years old.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Ran some HDD diagnostic on my PC and it's failing it. Also now it barely makes it into windows before becoming unresponsive. Sometimes it fails on the login screen.

Guess I'm buying a new HDD. Thing is like 10 years old.
Get a decent SSD.