Computer Issues

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
No damage I can see. The amazon package was one of those bubble soft baggies that my friendly mailman jammed in my box . PC seems fine, I didn't even have to reset my EXPO in the bios. Weird.
Maybe the heat spreader made contact somewhere and created a short. Weird indeed.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Maybe the heat spreader made contact somewhere and created a short. Weird indeed.
yea yup, it was likely crushed in. this happened to one of my rams only, it took 2 years for it to fritz out and give errors/reboot etc, i didn't know what was wrong until i tried 1stick at a time and i put the trouble ram to the side. only then did i notice that some light was glinting off of it, then i picked it up and looked at it, 1 spot in the heatsink was crushed and pushed in.

i know it wasn't me that did it cuz i handle ram and cpu like tom cruise
g5tql07qwfn61.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
yea yup, it was likely crushed in. this happened to one of my rams only, it took 2 years for it to fritz out and give errors/reboot etc, i didn't know what was wrong until i tried 1stick at a time and i put the trouble ram to the side. only then did i notice that some light was glinting off of it, then i picked it up and looked at it, 1 spot in the heatsink was crushed and pushed in.

g5tql07qwfn61.jpg
tom cruise humour GIF

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Well Poo! Turns out you can run 4 sticks of ram on my board, just not fast. Only way to have more GB's AND EXPO speeds is to replace the sticks I already have. I just built this PC in February so not worth the $$$$.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
pc masterrace is serious, we only joke about burnt intel cpus
ok you genuinely got me to laugh out loud at that. Out of the last 3 build's I've done for me, this is the only one that didn't have 64GB of RAM. I was falling apart and didn't know if I had the budget (or would be alive) to go whole hog. Still doesn't make sense to replace RAM I bought in February for 1% needs where 32GB *may* not be enough.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ok you genuinely got me to laugh out loud at that. Out of the last 3 build's I've done for me, this is the only one that didn't have 64GB of RAM. I was falling apart and didn't know if I had the budget (or would be alive) to go whole hog. Still doesn't make sense to replace RAM I bought in February for 1% needs where 32GB *may* not be enough.
yea thats how i got 64gbs on work and htpc, i move 2x16 to 1 machine and bought 2x32gb, it's just ddr4 since both are am4, and theyre all cl16. i honestly don't notice any difference but i also don't want to worry about not having enough for a few years

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
General rule of RAM these days is you buy a full kit and never combine. Doesn't matter if it's the same brand, same model never take two separate pairs and expect them to play nice with each other. If they didn't arrive in the same plastic wrapping there are no guarantees, hell even if they did there's no guarantee they hit the timings you want depending on the mobo.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
General rule of RAM these days is you buy a full kit and never combine. Doesn't matter if it's the same brand, same model never take two separate pairs and expect them to play nice with each other. If they didn't arrive in the same plastic wrapping there are no guarantees, hell even if they did there's no guarantee they hit the timings you want depending on the mobo.
it's cool, if you stay using xmp and don't go oc crazy, you can cross the streams

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

g5tql07qwfn61.jpg
Its exactly what happened to me, as well. Rewind enough pages back and we'll see it. The "party trick" for mine was that the memory was fine for maybe 6 months? 8 months? Before something got to it, and I guess caused it to arc and fry the memory. I didnt know what was going on, so I dropped the whole PC at a PC shop and they called me back within 30 minutes saying that the memory is pressed in on the sides. I get there, and sure enough it is and recalled that I was impressed that everything made it through the mail unscathed. I RMA the memory to G.Skill, and they send me the same memory back in a plastic sleeve, but the shipping container was a box at least.

Amazon just has people that dont know, or just dont give a fuck when it comes to memory. So Im not at all surprised.